Inquisition Help

Kangofett

I need some help with my inquisition unit. 

I don't know if this is a good line up and had a few questions. 

Line up:

Inquisitor- Carapace armor, empyrean mines, psyker (mastery level 1), daemon blade, bolt pistol [80 pts]

Warband: [153 pts]

Deamonhost

Acolyte- Carapace armor, bolter, storm shield 

Acolyte- Power armor, lightning claws

Death Cult Assassin

Jokaero weaponsmith 

psyker

Servitor- Heavy bolter 

Vindicare Assassin [150 pts]

Inquisitorial Valkyrie Assault Carrier [200 pts]- Armored cockpit, distinctive paint, fighter ace, flare/chaff launcher, illum flares, lascannon, sponson-mounted heavy bolters, two Hellstrike missiles 

Total=[433 pts]

Questions: 

What inquisition unit should I use?

Can I add a eldar into the unit?

Is this line up good for inquisition?

Welcome Kango thumbsup.gif The first question is what you're hoping for the unit to do, is it more stand alone or intended to work with a specific army/list for example? Looks like it is made to punch faces so I'd focus purely on that, for example the servitor isn't going to be helping much. Vindicare is cool but much depends on the rest of your list as to how good he may be, as it stands he's a fair chunk of points.

The Valkyrie is expensive, even if the upgrades are useful I'd look at bringing that down a bit. Again if it's the only flyer and vehicle in the list that's an issue. As to Inquisition units you've got them tongue.png Variety is a matter of how you build the warbands. I'd look at trying to get some more numbers in, cheap acolytes are always useful in my opinion.

As to the Eldar, of course you can add some dead xenos to your bases, or some trophies. That would be cool. That's what you mean by adding them right? msn-wink.gif

Might be worth splitting the retinue in two, with the melee-focused henchmen accompanying the Inquisitor in the flyer and the shooting-focused elements separate, maybe with a chimaera. The bolter/SS acolyte I'd consider putting with the shooters for protection. A Crusader could be worthwhile for the same purpose with the Inquisitor. A divination psyker might help the shooters, but you'd probably want more shooters in that unit to merit the investment.

Just my thoughts!

Welcome Kango thumbsup.gif The first question is what you're hoping for the unit to do, is it more stand alone or intended to work with a specific army/list for example? Looks like it is made to punch faces so I'd focus purely on that, for example the servitor isn't going to be helping much. Vindicare is cool but much depends on the rest of your list as to how good he may be, as it stands he's a fair chunk of points.

The Valkyrie is expensive, even if the upgrades are useful I'd look at bringing that down a bit. Again if it's the only flyer and vehicle in the list that's an issue. As to Inquisition units you've got them tongue.png Variety is a matter of how you build the warbands. I'd look at trying to get some more numbers in, cheap acolytes are always useful in my opinion.

As to the Eldar, of course you can add some dead xenos to your bases, or some trophies. That would be cool. That's what you mean by adding them right? msn-wink.gif

This list is just a add on list I'll add to another army.

Ill probably take the servitor off, but the Valkyrie will stay cause that's gona be the transport for this unit.

More cheap members wouldn't be bad.

The Eldar question was mainly to see if I could throw one of them in with the Inquisitor.

Thanks for the help WarriorFish.

Might be worth splitting the retinue in two, with the melee-focused henchmen accompanying the Inquisitor in the flyer and the shooting-focused elements separate, maybe with a chimaera. The bolter/SS acolyte I'd consider putting with the shooters for protection. A Crusader could be worthwhile for the same purpose with the Inquisitor. A divination psyker might help the shooters, but you'd probably want more shooters in that unit to merit the investment.

Just my thoughts!

That's not a bad idea. Ill probably do two units, Melee and shooting.

What codex are the Crusader and divination psyker in?

Thanks for the help Plasmablasts.

They're both in the Inquistion codex I believe. By divination psyker, I meant one choosing his powers from the divination list, which can be helpful for shooting. The crusader is, assuming he hasn't changed from his 5th edition Grey Knight codex incarnation, a cheap warrior in flak armour with a storm shield and power sword. With his poor armour save and strong invulnerable save, he's a good antidote to grav weapons.

They're both in the Inquistion codex I believe. By divination psyker, I meant one choosing his powers from the divination list, which can be helpful for shooting. The crusader is, assuming he hasn't changed from his 5th edition Grey Knight codex incarnation, a cheap warrior in flak armour with a storm shield and power sword. With his poor armour save and strong invulnerable save, he's a good antidote to grav weapons.

Thankz.

I actaully just found him right after I made that post.

I haven't played against grav weapons yet.

If it's to be added to other lists then its best if it stands on its own right, so having a couple of squads would help them do that. Focusing their role is generally best too, but a little cross over as back up isn't bad as shooty squads are prime combat targets. I wouldn't worry about grav too much here as it likely won't be shooting at these squads.

If it's to be added to other lists then its best if it stands on its own right, so having a couple of squads would help them do that. Focusing their role is generally best too, but a little cross over as back up isn't bad as shooty squads are prime combat targets. I wouldn't worry about grav too much here as it likely won't be shooting at these squads.

Ok. Thanks.

I'll post a new updated list as soon as I'm done with it.

Is it a bad idea to through a elder person in with this unit?

You mean using an Eldar model as a proxy for something, or allying in an Eldar unit?

Just a proxy or something.

It's just a elder from the backstreets of some world that the inquisitor hired cause they saw the skill in that person.

I have a eldar/human conversion I already did one day.

Why I wonder if I could use a eldar is cause of this part of the Inquistor codex under the Warband section.

"A few might be aliens, mercenaries lured into the inquisitors cause by wealth, a shared cause, or promise of aid in there own perilous situation."

Well you could use an Eldar model -- but he would obviously use the Codex:Inquisition rules. From a WYSIWYG standpoint you might need to swap his weapons too. That would depend on how fussy your opponents are :)

Plenty of nice conversions in this section to whet your appetite.

Cheers

I

Why I wonder if I could use a eldar is cause of this part of the Inquistor codex under the Warband section.

"A few might be aliens, mercenaries lured into the inquisitors cause by wealth, a shared cause, or promise of aid in there own perilous situation."

I think you could certainly use an Eldar model, so long as it has the appropriate weaponry.

Well you could use an Eldar model -- but he would obviously use the Codex:Inquisition rules. From a WYSIWYG standpoint you might need to swap his weapons too. That would depend on how fussy your opponents are smile.png

Plenty of nice conversions in this section to whet your appetite.

Cheers I

Thanks.

The people round here aren't too fussy so I could probly get by.

I think you could certainly use an Eldar model, so long as it has the appropriate weaponry.

Thanks.

I'll post a draft of the new list soon.

A Howling Banshee or a Harlequin could make the basis for a nice counts-as Death Cult Assassin.

Not a bad idea. I'll probly load that in.

New list...

Inquisition List:

Inquisitor- Carapace armor, empyrean mines, psyker (mastery level 1), daemon blade, bolt pistol [80 pts]

Warband: [84 pts]

Deamonhost

Crusader

Harlequin- Death Cult Assassin

Warband 2 [85 pts]

Acolyte- Carapace armor, storm bolter, chainsword

Jokaero weaponsmith

psyker

Razorback [76 pts]- Searchlight, twin linked assault cannon, truesilver armor

Inquisitorial Valkyrie Assault Carrier [200 pts]- Armored cockpit, distinctive paint, fighter ace, flare/chaff launcher, illum flares, lascannon, sponson-mounted heavy bolters, two Hellstrike missiles

Total=[675 pts]

I know it's alot of points and Id like it to get cut down to 500, maybe.

A Howling Banshee or a Harlequin could make the basis for a nice counts-as Death Cult Assassin.

Not a bad idea. I'll probly load that in.

New list...

Inquisition List:

Inquisitor- Carapace armor, empyrean mines, psyker (mastery level 1), daemon blade, bolt pistol [80 pts]

Warband: [84 pts]

Deamonhost

Crusader

Harlequin- Death Cult Assassin

Warband 2 [85 pts]

Acolyte- Carapace armor, storm bolter, chainsword

Jokaero weaponsmith

psyker

Razorback [76 pts]- Searchlight, twin linked assault cannon, truesilver armor

Total=[675 pts]

I know it's alot of points and Id like it to get cut down to 500, maybe.

Warband 1 has a lot of points invested in the overpriced wargear for that Acolyte in power armour with lightening claws. Although I'm sure he would be a cool-looking miniature, you are going to get a lot more killing power from a death cult assassin for a fraction of the price (DCA has better WS, Str 4, I5 and way more attacks all of which means way more wounds than the Acolyte). And with power armour that acolyte is still T3.  If you want to take him for rule of cool then by all means do it -- I love cool models that give the finger to "conventional wisdom" -- but just don't expect him to be that great.

Also, I think you want some bullet-catchers/ablative armour in that squad by way of stock acolytes who you can alocate wounds to. A Ministorum Priest and the buffs he gives would really boost that squad too.

On Warband 2, I would take a Crusader instead of the Acolyte with carapace, storm bolter, and storm shield. Way cheaper and does the same job plus it's an extra body. Pretty sure you can have a crusader + an acolyte with storm bolter and carapace for the same price if not cheaper (don't have my codex with me at the moment).

On the Razorback, you may consider twin-linked heavy bolter variant with psybold ammo for str 5 if you want to go cheaper and conserve points.

I am a bit uncomfortable with 200 points invested in the Valkyrie. I'm not sure that all that extra wargear is going to boost it that much and the 75 points on upgrades would be better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

Archived