How to start a DA Successor?

SickSix

Okay, so I have a DA successor chapter that has been sitting on the back burner for a while now. But now that I'm back to painting and modelling I have been thinking about how to create this chapter.

What I know I want to do with the Chapter:

-Later founding

-They prefer ranged combat and

-Have a sizable armory and like to blast things into dust with heavy artillery

-They are like the Angels of Absolution and feel no guilt about the fallen and sometimes won't heed the call to join in a hunt.

What I can't decide on-

-It is rumored they were created to 'watch' the rest of the Unforgiven

-They were formed as an excuse to get rid of some officers and marines that have fallen out of favor (rumors of course as well)

Do you think I could do either idea and make it sound passable? Or, could both rumors exist? They are not mutually exclusive. The GM could tell the DA that he is getting rid of some less than desirables when really he has a secret agenda that these guys are acting as his 'watchful eye' as it were.

Am I crazy?

Do both my friend.

Although getting rid of some unfavoured (in what way? Perhaps some hint at disloyalty?) personnel would not in itself be a reason to 'make' a new Chapter for them - rather than just punish them.

Unless it was recognised that they could be put to better use by being ultra-zealous for atonement within the Unforgiven's eyes of course.

Could form the basis for something interesting.

Banished to guard some far-flung border system perhaps. Or on some other shady task? And out of the gaze of the curious Inquisition.

Yep, I'm liking those rumours a lot ;)

Keep at it.

*Dons Liber hat happy.png

Okay, so I have a DA successor chapter that has been sitting on the back burner for a while now. But now that I'm back to painting and modelling I have been thinking about how to create this chapter.

-Later founding

-They are like the Angels of Absolution and feel no guilt about the fallen and sometimes won't heed the call to join in a hunt.

thumbsup.gif

What I can't decide on-

-They were formed as an excuse to get rid of some officers and marines that have fallen out of favor (rumors of course as well)

Do you think I could do either idea and make it sound passable? Or, could both rumors exist? They are not mutually exclusive. The GM could tell the DA that he is getting rid of some less than desirables when really he has a secret agenda that these guys are acting as his 'watchful eye' as it were.

Am I crazy?

I think the first point would be a sticky one. I can't see a valid reason why the Unforgiven would actively support a successor Chapter that was created specifically to watch them. However, there is no reason why they don't decide to watch the others, one reason being...

In my own mind, this successor would have a mind set that would make the others wary - the officers chosen to start it would see this opportunity to undo the mistakes the Unforgiven (in their eyes, perhaps) have made. That would mean a lot of careful decisions on what they do and how they do it (after all, the rest would take action against them the very moment they realise they are being watched).

It could work, just need to work out the reason(s) why the others have let them continue to exist (unless the Chapter in question is running from the others, whilst actively trying to work their own agenda...which will be very hard) smile.png

Do both my friend.

Although getting rid of some unfavoured (in what way? Perhaps some hint at disloyalty?) personnel would not in itself be a reason to 'make' a new Chapter for them - rather than just punish them.

Unless it was recognised that they could be put to better use by being ultra-zealous for atonement within the Unforgiven's eyes of course.

Could form the basis for something interesting.

Banished to guard some far-flung border system perhaps. Or on some other shady task? And out of the gaze of the curious Inquisition.

Yep, I'm liking those rumours a lot msn-wink.gif

Keep at it.

I am thinking unfavored, because maybe there are (once and a while) DA that just can't shake an uneasy feeling about how the DA will sometimes let innocents die or leave allies on the field of battle to chase down a singular fallen that probably poses no real threat to anything. I don't know, some thing like that. They just don't buy the company line without asking questions. Does that work?

And I like the idea of banishment. To a far flung system like the Segmentum Pacificus (Vieled Region). That would be fairly easy to work. And still, could have rumors of shady behavior.

*Dons Liber hat happy.png

-Later founding

thumbsup.gif

What I can't decide on-

Am I crazy?

I think the first point would be a sticky one. I can't see a valid reason why the Unforgiven would actively support a successor Chapter that was created specifically to watch them. However, there is no reason why they don't decide to watch the others, one reason being...

In my own mind, this successor would have a mind set that would make the others wary - the officers chosen to start it would see this opportunity to undo the mistakes the Unforgiven (in their eyes, perhaps) have made. That would mean a lot of careful decisions on what they do and how they do it (after all, the rest would take action against them the very moment they realise they are being watched).

It could work, just need to work out the reason(s) why the others have let them continue to exist (unless the Chapter in question is running from the others, whilst actively trying to work their own agenda...which will be very hard) smile.png

Okay, so working from my response above to Isiah, if they are 'banished' because they don't fanatically fall in line and drop everything they are doing to hunt the fallen, that would make the Unforgiven suspicious right? Would it be feasible for this chapter to feel the need to atone for the DA/Unforgiven's sins against the Imperium? Sins made along the way in the fanatical hunt for the fallen?

Now, when I said created to watch the Unforgiven, that is that whatever Grand Master at the time's secret intent. Of course something like that wouldn't be shared among the other chapters. But a precedent was set with the Disciples of Caliban that Grand Masters have created more chapters for their own purposes.

OR - They watch the Unforgiven of their own secret volition to watch for more 'injustices' done in the Unforgiven's fanatical pursuit of the Fallen?

They should be a "spiritual successor" to the Angels of Absolution then, if not an actual direct gene line from them. Likely, their training cadre was seconded from the AoA (or a different Successor Chapter from the AoA that holds similar views), hence getting that "absolved" view, and take it one step further in that they don't respond sometimes.

Perhaps this leads them to having some strained relations with the rest of the Unforgiven as they were "used" once in a campaign, told a different story for why their assistance was needed by another Unforgiven GM or something, when the campaign was really to chase down a Fallen, and now they are somewhat reluctant to answer an Unforgiven call?

What I can't decide on-

Created by whom though? The High Lords of Terra declare Foundings, not others, and even the Disciples of Caliban were likely created through political leverage of the High Lords, not solely through the wishes of any Supreme Grand Master. You'll need to come up with a very strong set of political leverage (equivalent to what the Dark Angels could get a hold of, as well as having some serious political clout) for the person influencing the creation of your Successor (or just leave the details out and give that as the reason).

If the High Lords themselves wanted the Chapter created, and it is rumored that they watch the Unforgiven for the High Lords, methinks that they aren't going to be invited to the yearly family gatherings and likely don't even know enough to feel miffed about it.

I don't think that the second is as plausible due to the reason I gave in the previous creation question.

I'm not sure I would worry about the second that much, it is a pretty unnecessary detail and doesn't fully follow either. All the reasons that you would want to get rid of officers or Marines are things you wouldn't want to have in creating a new Chapter. The Marines aren't going to do that, because if anyone is going to ensure that those that might be a threat don't get further advanced (and likely even survive), it is going to be the Unforgiven, but all Marines are going to do something about it.

I do like your idea though, regardless of how you choose to move forward! Should be a good'un!

They should be a "spiritual successor" to the Angels of Absolution then, if not an actual direct gene line from them. Likely, their training cadre was seconded from the AoA (or a different Successor Chapter from the AoA that holds similar views), hence getting that "absolved" view, and take it one step further in that they don't respond sometimes.

Good idea. I have used that if you don't mind.

If the High Lords themselves wanted the Chapter created, and it is rumored that they watch the Unforgiven for the High Lords, methinks that they aren't going to be invited to the yearly family gatherings and likely don't even know enough to feel miffed about it.

It will be a political play by a SGM to use DA geneseed during the Sentinel founding. I'm scraping the greater conspiracy thing though.

I don't think that the second is as plausible due to the reason I gave in the previous creation question.

I'm not sure I would worry about the second that much, it is a pretty unnecessary detail and doesn't fully follow either. All the reasons that you would want to get rid of officers or Marines are things you wouldn't want to have in creating a new Chapter. The Marines aren't going to do that, because if anyone is going to ensure that those that might be a threat don't get further advanced (and likely even survive), it is going to be the Unforgiven, but all Marines are going to do something about it.

I do like your idea though, regardless of how you choose to move forward! Should be a good'un!

Your right. The DA would just send their unfavorables into a SpaceHulk or something. They would have no qualms about just getting rid of them. So I've scrapped that idea as well.

What if the conspiracy was that it wasn't actually a conspiracy, but rather a test of the viewpoint they hold to see how it could mesh into the wider Unforgiven? Only the upper-most levels of the Inner Circle in the Chapter know of this (the GMs of each section or something).

What if the conspiracy was that it wasn't actually a conspiracy, but rather a test of the viewpoint they hold to see how it could mesh into the wider Unforgiven? Only the upper-most levels of the Inner Circle in the Chapter know of this (the GMs of each section or something).

Just to make sure I'm following, your saying that the 'conspiracy' is actually that this chapter was planned to feel far removed from the Fallen issue and the GM's wanted to see how their attitude was handled by the rest of the Unforgiven?

I did something a little similar with my DIY the Saints of the Angels. The don't chase the Fallen and try to hold the line that some of the Unforgiven will stay and fight instead of leaving mysteriously. They also keep an eye on the Inquisition to see if they know something. Basically, they try to be a light to the "Dark" Angels, but they still are in contact with each other. The chapter for the most part is totally in the dark about the Fallen save the Inner Three. They are the only ones in the entire chapter to have a level of knowledge beyond a standard Deathwing member. The Masters of the Chapter are at the basic level and know that they do not pursue. They will only pass on the information to a chapter that will go hunting.

You could do something similar for your chapter or just have the entire chapter be in the dark about the Fallen so that they have no knowledge because it was deemed that they couldn't handle it.

Just to make sure I'm following, your saying that the 'conspiracy' is actually that this chapter was planned to feel far removed from the Fallen issue and the GM's wanted to see how their attitude was handled by the rest of the Unforgiven?

Yes, something much like that. Coordinated effort from the SGM and those training cadre from the AoA/Successor to see if the other GMs from other Chapters would support an altered view of the Hunt/absolution, or to even "root out the weak" or something.

Circles within circles, shared knowledge and secrets, etc.

How about, SGM at the time is trying to make a political ploy for another chapter to suit his own ends, however the HLoT grant the chapter but found the chapter in the the honor of the Angels of Absolution and draw the training cadre and leadership from them? Kind of pulling an end-around on the DA SGM?

Also the draft IA had been posted for review here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317118-dark-swords-20/?p=4252601&do=findComment&comment=4252601

Archived