Blood Angels army pre-Book 6

Booth

Having read Fear to Tread recently, my love of Blood Angels is firmly cemented. I'm going to a tournament on February 7th so there's a 99.9% chance the Legion specific rules won't be available for me in time. My question is whether or not a Blood Angels-esque army will work amidst the armies with the Legion specific benefits. I really like Predators and Contemptor Dreadnoughts, so they'll be in whatever army I use, so the Angels Wrath RoW isn't an option. I was thinking Pride of the Legion is a good catch all place to start regardless of Legion chosen. What are your thoughts?

Always and everywhere run the relic Photon blade - it'll stomp most other praetor level characters short of Sigismund.

Also what points will you be playing at? 2000 is a bare minimum that id suggest unless constrained by the tournie, otherwise it'll be difficult to build a list. Is it all Legion specific? Or 40k too?

Sorry about that, not much sleep lately lol. The Tournament is 2500 points and its strictly Heresy Era armies. The Photon blade is just amazing, it'll definitely make it in if I decide on Blood Angels.

If you like Predators, you might want to run 2 with plasma executioners and lascannon sponsons. Makes them cheap and potent, not to mention a thorn in the side. Only thing you'll need to watch out for is quad rapier batteries, so deploy them out of LoS.

You might want to go the whole hog and run a mech list with 2-3 10 man tactical squads in rhinos as quick objective grabbers. Though running them with ccws and bps in Anvillus pods are a great (but expensive) option too.

As for dreads, take a Deredeo with Anvillus auto cannons and a Aiolos missile launcher as AA and all around dakka.

I'll write you a good mech list by tomorrow ;)

Thanks so much for the help! I have two contemptors with Khares Assault Cannons, (I figured they'd make great all around killers) and I have two Predators with plasma turrets (one has heavy bolters though). So far it looks like we're on roughly the same page so far! For the sheer awesomeness of it I was thinking a jump pack command squad to go with the Photon Blade praetor. To mix things up I was thinking I'd want another jump pack unit to add some variety and some speed not reliant on transports. I wish we had an equivalent to the Locoturus from Ultramarines at the moment, but maybe just a basic assault squad would suffice. Perhaps add an apothecary to the assault squad and have a Void Shield Generator equipped Librarian with the Command Squad (or vice versa)? Again, I have very limited Heresy gaming experience but a great deal of 40K so the best I can do at the moment is try to apply 40K principles to Heresy...hence my asking you wonderful people for advice.

You will need a primus medicae for the assault squad as apothecaries cannot get jump packs. However it's not a bad investment to get him into either squad depending on where you want the points spent. On librarians I love mine in 40k but when I'm spending almost 135? ( points may be off as I'm not by my books) on a ML 2 Libby with no upgrades I get a little unhappy... Ymmv so I say try it and if he performs for you use him

Sorry I've been awol!

I'd run 3 10 man tacticals in rhinos for mobile scoring, two Sicarans, plus your two plasma preds.

As for a command squad, if you really want them on jump packs, run a 5 man squad plus the Praetor. If you want to do that, id drop 1 tactical/rhino for a 15 man assault squad with a Primus Medicae in tow. That way you can have them be fearless plus a 5+ fnp when you have the command squad run with them.

Maybe fill out your list with a Fire Raptor, or maybe 2 magna Melta predators.

Edit: or take a 6 man jetbike squad with Melta bombs and two multi meltas for heavy tank or dreadnought busting.

What kind of dreads do you like? I assume you mean contemptors??? Maybe run a double Kheres cannon, maybe in a dread drop pod? Or run double ccw with double grav guns?

Hi there. No worries at all, busy time of year. I'm a big fan of contemptor dreads, especially mortis pattern with khares assault cannon. They seem to have so much utility for their points.

Archived