Red's Wolves - Crushing Assault

RedInventor

So I have been working on my BaC box and I have been contemplating where to go from there. I have came up with a couple lists to dat but nothing too solid yet. I have received about 850 USD or 568.92 GBP in Christmas cash thus far so I should be able to expand quite a bit. So if you know a good way to spebd that money let me know!

As far as the list I am thinking of working towards, here it is:

+++ Vlka Fenryka Varied (2997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2997pts) ++

+ HQ (302pts) +

Legion Centurion (125pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field]

····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Praetor (177pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade]

+ Troops (585pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (325pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

Legion Tactical Squad (260pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Heavy Chainsword, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (785pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (110pts)

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

Legion Terminator Squad (675pts) [9x Legion Terminators, Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness]

+ Fast Attack (265pts) +

Legion Storm Eagle Assault Gunship (265pts) [Twin-linked Multi-melta, Two Twin-linked Lascannons]

+ Heavy Support (650pts) +

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (155pts) [Heavy Bolters]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (155pts) [Heavy Bolters]

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

+ Lord of War (410pts) +

War Machine Detachment (410pts)

····Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Lascannons]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Total I would need to get:

-2 Spartans

-2 Sicaran Battle Tanks

-A Storm Eagle

-A Typhon

-5 Cataphractii Terminators

Without the cataphractii that is 566 GBP.

So right on budget. Well I am excited to hear your thoughts and I hope you are having a very merry Christmas.

-Red

Hi RedInventor and welcome to the Heresy!

Nice work on getting the BaC box - it's the starter set to end all starter sets! :) You'll struggle to make a full army out of it, but with that much hobby cash, you'll be absolutely sorted. FW offers free express shipping for orders over £250, so I'd pick out the critical stuff and do one straight up, and order the rest after you have some work done. This will help you focus on painting and stop you from impulse buying a whole army that you may not be happy with.

As you may of may not have heard, Space Wolves won't be be getting rules for a little while yet. Though with the surprising release of Thousand Sons upgrade sets, maybe they'll do the same for the Vlka Fenryka soon too, giving you stuff to model with. A lot of people use the 40k kits though, as many of the bits are not Mark VII with the Aquila on them, not to mention the totems and wolf pelts are still perfect.

Without said rules, sticking to safe choices is the way to go. What you have chosen is pretty good, but here's my thoughts:

- plasma pistols are overpriced - you have it on a combat character so he might get to use it twice. Save the points for something else.

- you'll be able to buy some plastic Cataphactii on eBay cheaper than the resin FW stuff. Save yourself some money there!

- Typhons are the best value Lord of War. So much so that I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped up the points cost in the updated Red Book. For now though, it's awesome.

- Sicarans are also brilliant. Lascannon sponsons are arguably better, but magnetise them to give you the choice. The Venator variant is just as good, as it makes any Vehicle it scores a penetrating hit against to Snap Fire (effectively shutting down Super-heavies completely). I'd get one of each, but don't bother putting sponsons on the Venator.

- Storm Eagles are iffy. I hear very polarising opinions about them, but have never used them myself. Pricey for a Transport, pricey for anti-tank, pricey for anti-air, pricey for a gunship. Focus their role by taking it bare-bones as a Transport, or take something else - a Primaris-Lightning with Kraken penetrators for anti-tank, a Xiphon Interceptor for anti-air, or a Fire Raptor for general gunship duties.

- other awesome choices are Rapiers (with quad mortars or graviton cannons), Deredeos, Predators with magna-meltas, Dreadclaws for guaranteed Turn 2 assaults, Medusae, laser destroyer Vindicators, and good-old Volkite weaponry! A 10-man Heavy Support Squad with culverins will really hurt MEQs and obliterate anything with less armour.

Hope this all helps man!

My top picks will always be different to other people's top picks, as there's different play styles and different Legions. Having said that, my top 3 units are the following:

- Javelin Attack Speeders with Cyclone missile launcher, multi-melta and 2 hunter-killer missiles. They enter via Deep Strike or Outflank, unload 5 Strength 8 shots into a vehicle and then continue to hammer stuff with 3 shots a turn.

- 3 Medusa Artillery Tanks with normal shells. They shoot Strength 10, AP2, Ordnance, Barrage, Large Blast guns that kill EVERYTHING. Spartans get hit in the side armour due to Barrage, so no flare shield to protect them. 2-Wound Terminators? Thallax? Stone Gauntlet Breachers? All dead.

- Vigilator with a jump pack in an Assault Squad (with power weapons on everything that can). Works best for Alpha Legion (as they can choose Infiltrate), Raven Guard (as they have Infiltrate and Furious Charge) and Night Lords (as they get a turn of 6+ Cover in the open). Fulfills a Compulsory HQ and Troops choice and it does something. Can also Deep Strike if you're feeling lucky (or need to due to the Rite of War).

What I suggested at the end of my first reply is still valid. Play around with your list, read some other army list threads, and you should be able to come up with some no-brainers. :)

Archived