Arcology XIX - A tale of Calth. Test Marine WIP.

Kobrakei

Counterattack/Retribution

'Four years since the death of Calth. Four years. Many have been the nights in Arcology XIX where the words of horror Lorgar's bastard get scream into our comm-net have invaded the thoughts and dreams of both Astartes and mortals trapped down here in the darkness and grime. 

I hear them, the cries drowning in blood and ruin. I do not tell the mortals what my warriors and I know, that the screaming is of our fellow Ultramarines being tortured, mutilated and offered up to beings that break all sense of what is possible. 

Four years of this. No loyal Astartes ever truly resting, but always guarding against the dark. 

This ends today. Their raids for flesh to commit their crimes against the celestial order have decreased. Slowly, of course. But over days, over months, over years, they have slowed. The Urizen is not coming back, and these wretches, these base curs, they know.

Theoretical - I think they've known since the first day. For them this is death.

Practical - Let them die knowing that what happens from here until the end of days and the stars dying is our retribution.'

Praetor Tyron Auxentios, LCVII Company, XV Chapter, XIII Legio 'Ultramarines'

UM_Legionary_MkII.jpg

Time for some actual meat in this log!

This is going to be my new project for 2016, and will consist of painting the contents of Betrayal at Calth as part of the Ultramarine Legion. At the moment I don't have an exact points cost for what I'm going to work on, and really it's more about feel and what seems like a good base to expand into a full Heresy army.

If you've seen my Fourth Shrine War log, you'll know I've painted my Crimson Shrikes as clean as possible. The Ultra's in this log, however, will be dirty, grimy and weathered like crazy. Four years of underground city-fighting coupled with occasional forays onto a rad-blasted surface will do that for you tongue.png

This will probably start as a slow burn log. Xmas has cleaned me out money-wise, so the first month will be building and prepping before I get round to getting some base sprays and starting the painting process. However I have been cracking into the first bit with relish. The MK IV kits are great, although I wish they had slightly more arm variety instead of ten pairs of aiming arms (first world problems I know!)

20151229_155525.jpg

Above is the start of the building process, and hopefully this shouldn't take too long! I hope to start with the following as an army base and then expand when complete, although with what exactly I'm not too sure!

Praetor in Cataphractii armour

5x Terminators

15 man Legion Tactical Squad

10 man Legion Veteran Squad

5 man Legion Support Squad with Volkite Cavaliers (Hi MDRC - Choom Choom!)

The Chaplain model doesn't seem quite right to put into this lot though. I'm thinking I might actual paint him as Sedd, just to get that itch for Word Bearers out of my head.

Damn. This is going to be good.

Glad you liked the start! No pressure then tongue.png(SO MUCH PRESSURE)

Welcome to the XIII, Brother smile.png

Thanks! I mean you guys ain't Raven Guard, but you'll do msn-wink.gif

Brother-Captain Arkhan - Thanks, hopefully the below will be more for yourself :)

'If the Legiones Astartes can be compared to a battleship, then the Legion Tactical Squad must be seen as the anchor that steadies us in the sea of war.'

Attributed to Roboute Gulliman, Primarch, XIII Legion 'Ultramarines'

20160102_165605.jpg

I've finished building the first Tactical Squad of this army, short of putting the bolters on for painting reasons. There's something inspiring about seeing fifteen Marines and knowing they can be taken together in a unit...this ain't 40k! I've chosen to build a few without helmets as this will give me a chance to practice skin painting, especially paler tones as being trapped in an underground city for a few years won't help with the tan tongue.png I also wanted to get into the process of showing models as they are worked on stage by stage, something I've not been great at writing about as I prefer to show completed stuff, however this will encourage me to create more entries and show how an army is built from scratch.

So, a small update, but an important one I feel. I've also taken a couple more pictures to show head choices and poses, although the poses are fairly similar throughout the unit.

20160102_165724.jpg

20160102_165752.jpg

Next update will be my Cataphractii unit, which are proving fun to build, and I'm loving the solidness of them, especially when compared to Indomitus armour.

• 3 weeks later...

'Arcology XIX cannot fall! Let the last thing these bastard sons of Lorgar see be fury coloured in cobalt and gold!'

Attributed to Sergeant Isidoros, Third Battle of Omega Chamber.

IMG_20160126_225257.jpg

1453842905298.jpg

So I managed to finally get some painting done on this project. This is 90% complete with only the boltgun needing silver and highlighting. I've also had a bit of a play with weathering, but the effects didn't quite work for me (I'll admit I was rushing though) and so they've been painted over tongue.png So he's kind of basic, but getting a good base is always important to me, and I knocked this guy out in about three hours so it won;t be a slog to paint more of his brothers! Really I'm looking for some decent weathering tips, and if anyone has any links that'd be fantastic!

C&C always welcome!

Archived