The Hanged Man's Tarot

JackDaw

• 2 weeks later...

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/6823cce7-8420-44b6-9d2a-b593564cd13c_zpslyjfmha3.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160621_131313_zpsck1jxycz.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160621_131400_zpsq4tbifq3.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160621_131333_zpscvfvujqv.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160621_131437_zpsjxudzqm5.jpg

Trinica Solari; come to Haven in the guise of the Lady Priss, an off-world noblewoman, and engaged in activities of a mysterious nature.

All the replies!

The Psycho - Thanks man, good to hear you like her. Let me know what you think of the finished model. The face does seem to be the most well-thought-of part of her. Oh and Born Of Ash has gone live - I'll mention where later.

Marshal Rohr - Cheers mate, much appreciated. I need to fire you a pm soon, I've been really lax in keeping in touch.

Brother Pheidas - Yeah, I can see that in her in a way as well. And yep, agree on the poor quality of the sequels.

Squigsmasher - Marble is entirely unintentional but I shall take it :) I am very happy with how the bodyglove turned out though.

Ninjaman - Cheers buddy :) Her face has turned out way better than I hoped it would, from reconstruction work to painting. And good that she looks dangerous, she should do considering who she is....

No pics today unfortunately - reaching the end of the first Act of the Tarot means I'm taking a little assembly-and-painting break to do some other quick little things just to loosen up the hobby muscles. I will be back on the Tarot very soon though and there will be more fluff Scenes coming soon. So you wont have to wait too long at all.

In the mean time, if you are interested in seeing what a foray into AoS looks like for me and what exactly those Born Of Ash are, threads have been fired up for them on Warseer and The Ammobunker. Be great to see you all there as well.

Jack. 

Still knocking it out of the park, Jack - she looks terrific and the face really has come up a treat :) can't see a single thing on her I don't like or that doesn't fit the feel for your setting just perfectly, good job!

Much as I like your models though it's always been your fluff that brought me in - looking forward to the next Scene. I know precisely nothing about AoS, but given it's your work, I'm gonna go check out Born of Ash in the meantime!

• 2 weeks later...

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/bcff5df7-3bf4-4718-81a4-6f7654948aab_zpssuvohgvz.jpg

~ Interior; The vessel Caconym, as it prepares to emerge from the Undersea and enter the Lethe sub-sector.

Elias regarded his comrades in turn over the green haze of the hololith as it replayed the same fragmented seconds of footage over and over again. The unseen command crew of the Caconym liaised with the Ordo agents through Fisher, enmeshed as she was with her mass of cogitators, augurs and scryers which were in turn married to the systems and machine spirit of the Caconym itself, and had provided this room as an operations chamber for their use. Dark iron and brass cogitators and screen units filled the walls, with a hololithic display dominating the centre of the room. The air was musty and faintly metallic, symptomatic of the vessels extended voyage through the Undersea. The atmosphere, the very ship itself, felt strained and tense. This tension had been echoed in the quartet of Ordo agents themselves.

"Look, Iago, no offence. But this still seems like a feth-awful plan. The boss is going to know something's up."

Benedictine Santiago didn’t look up from the flickering repeating display, his well-proportioned face lit from below and framed by loose locks of golden hair. In a normal life he would have been insufferably good looking but there was a coldness to his expression that only the Ordos could have bred into him. His gaze didn’t waver but Elias could see the knuckles on his hand whiten as he gripped the edge of the display unit. One of Fishers myriad servoskulls hummed gently as it moved around them.

+ We've already been detailed to investigate the apparent disappearance of the Ordo's representative in Haven, Elias. This... other matter is just a potential rumour to be looked at in the course of our investigation. Fennec isn't going to see this as anything other than routine +

Elias wasn't sure if it was possible for a servoskull to sound and look embarrassed, but it seemed like this one was giving it a damn good try.

"Oh come on Fisher," he scoffed. "He is going to know. As soon as we go off all half-assed on this missing guy and focus on this, he is going to know. Throne, we don't even know that this is him. It's what, four seconds of footage and a borderline useless partial gene match that - "

"It's him." Santiago’s voice was flat, emotionless. He finally looked up from the display, locked Elias with a gaze that felt more like a targeting system coming online. "I know it's him. Fisher knows it's him. You know it. Everything else is just details."

Elias sighed again, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to get through to the other man, so blinded was he by this obsession and his anger.

"Fine, fine. Say it is, say I get eyes on and confirm it is him while you're off pretending to find this missing Inquisitor. What then? Saints teeth Iago, last time you didn't exactly walk away unharmed, did you?"

Even as the words left his mouth, he regretted them. Santiago's only reaction might have been a small pained smile, the barest ghost of a flinch, but Elias could see beyond it to the damage done. He drew breath to apologise but before he could speak again, the other man was already leaving.

"Thank you for the reminder Elias," Santiago replied, voice clipped. "I'd almost forgotten what he took from me. You have your task. Enter the lower districts, find him. That's all that is required from you."

The Interrogator strode away, the brushed titanium of the augmetics that formed both of his legs below the knees clicking against the iron decking. Fishers hovering skull stayed for a second longer, somehow staring accusingly at Elias even with its hollow sockets, before leaving.

+ Nicely done Elias +

"I... ah, feth."

Elias was left alone in the room with the flickering, repeating display that showed a hololithic ghost of man with a grotesquely long nosed mask.

~ End Scene

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/fe0c6b9d-2ef2-49b8-a604-7e3773b68a9d_zpscxgrzyel.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/86894fa2-e2be-45f9-8678-17162fd8599a_zpssurgwebq.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/edb6e35c-1bef-4360-83e9-eb84423fc560_zpspzk0scxe.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/86518f77-7350-4753-9c65-6b8d3824fec7_zpsraogxqbx.jpg

Benedictine Santiago; Interrogator in the service of the Holy Ordos and come to Haven with little intention of discharging his proper duties

Afternoon folks. Sweet baby Jesus it's hot here in the UK. At least, in the part I'm in. Getting painting done is hard, thanks to my sauna room, but we shall persevere.

Marshal Rohr - Thanks buddy, much appreciated. He's probably the simplest conversion after Segundus (I don't really count a weapon swap as a conversion though) and it's nice to have done and be working on something so simple. He was originally going to be based on the plastic Commissar and be a proper poster boy movie star style hero, which would have made his card being the Fool even more appropriate but along the way he became a redux of one of my oldest Inquisitor characters and needed something a bit more serious and fitting.

Painting update - yeah, I haven't been totally distracted by AoS shenanigans for Born Of Ash and have done some painting. Santiago is a very simple model to be fair and it hasn't taken long to get him to a stage where he is close to finished.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/1a77f1df-f556-4e12-86e1-75a578f3653e_zpsjknhdgls.jpg

Happy with how he's coming along so far, its nice to paint something reasonably simple scheme-wise after the slightly more complex trio of Harlowe, Abbileth and Solari. Will probably get the base done next and then work on the details another day - he needs some red on him somewhere to tie him visually to Elias and Abbileth, so need to think about where to get that in. Once he's done, its probably back to working on the Warden.

C&C welcome as always folks, and please check out Born Of Ash if you fancy it, be great to hear your thoughts on that too.

Cheers,
Jack

• 2 weeks later...

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/ecdcbd6d-1cf4-4bca-9b1c-e3fbaddc211a_zpsbmjsgmwj.jpg

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/04de8d08-0bab-449f-a630-ed6878d0f1a4_zpsb5njyyok.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/a9648e8f-ee13-47ea-9b4d-4eadd18fdd37_zps7cbkfus7.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/50c8f362-68eb-41ba-8dda-61126b306f5f_zpstxaijf16.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/1bf30259-6b2c-4230-91a8-2125e10a0c34_zpsaaknsx5f.jpg
Benedictine Santiago; an Interrogator in the service of Inquisitor Fennec of the Holy Ordos, come to Haven with little intention of performing his intended duties and instead driven by pride and a need for vengeance.

Afternoon gentlemen.

Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I had been planning to update a lot sooner once Santiago was done, but the last contract I worked on took a little longer than I thought, and writing approximately 30,000 words in the space of 5 days completely wiped me out in terms of wanting to write anything else for a few days. However, after resting up over Sunday and Monday, I am feeling much in the writing zone so will hopefully be way more on track with the Tarot and Born. A small issue is that I really only have a couple more characters to show off in the Tarot but need to sort out a chunk more story to get to the point where they are introduced - I'm wary of lots of text only updates though. Probably the best thing is start working on some of the second hand of Cards maybe - there's another half dozen or so characters there that are in rough stages of planning and/or bits.

Squigsmasher - Thanks buddy, great to hear you like how Santiago turned out. It was nice to paint something reasonably simple compared to Harlowe or Trinica, and he was reasonably quick to do with some fun little spots 

And because we all love pics - some folks on Facebook wanted to see some group shots so I'll share these shots of the completed trios here too.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/f055f66f-ed87-471e-8964-c7e71e739d04_zpsf9ru2npu.jpg
Rogues and ne'er'do'wells of the city of Haven, united in their sins and far from the grace of the Throne

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/03a77235-d377-4ddf-81f3-c1f1c18d849f_zpsfou4dmvx.jpg
Agents of the Throne and faithful servants of the Ordos, who have come to Haven in search of a truth

• 2 weeks later...
So, things have been a little quiet round here eh? I blame myself really, for several reasons - the main one being that Ive gotten terribly distracted by Born Of Ash which has kind had my hobby juices firing hot over the last few weeks. On the plus side, I've got all the bits more or less to finish that project off entirely, so that's at least some reduction in the distraction.

The other issue is that where I've fallen behind on writing up the story for the Tarot, I've not given myself any opportunity to show off the work I've been doing on it. I have been working on it, honest - the Warden is painted, the Key has been started, and the Tower is fully assembled. Its just I cant show any of it off until I get the story up to speed, which is taking some time to cut down to a size that wont bore you all.

Also, having smashed out 30,000 odd words in a week for my last contract kinda killed my writing mojo for a while. But I have a new shiny keyboard turning up tomorrow which will make writing longer things way easier, so the plan is back on track.

Hopefully you guys wont mind a few pure story Scenes though. Let me know if it becomes an issue for you.

SanguiniusReborn - Ah well, Trinica has her own coterie of morally suspect agents of misrule. I just haven't got round to showing them yet, because I'm a fool and cant plan things apparently.

Also, before I forget - as well as painting I've made a start on the next smaller hand of Cards - I'm thinking a dozen will do and so far have three ideas sorted and which have models started. Still tinkering with the last three ideas and trying to decide what model to use for the other. Here's a random pic of entirely random models at various stages of assembly, that may or may not have relevance to this;

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/437f5c85-1290-479c-a047-b450a5d708dd_zpsckvjoddo.jpg

Spoiler - they all have roles in the next hand of Cards.

Ok, enough rambling from me. Apologies for the lack of pics - will be attempting to get the next Scene up over the weekend. If all goes to plan.

As always, its great to hear your thoughts on things folks.

Cheers, Jack

• 2 weeks later...

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/HMT%20a2s2%20title_zpstggmht1d.jpg

~ Interior; a warehousing complex in the Gasgallows Manufactoria district, the city of Haven

The Bureaucrat looks up from his papers as the sounds echoing through the rockcrete expanse of the warehouse become too loud to ignore. Inchoate shouts, words swallowed by intervening walls and doors. Something that sounds like gunfire, which itself is worrying. There - a rapid hammering, the unmistakable sound of an autorifle. It chatters for long seconds before a sharper cracking sound is heard and the hammering cuts off. The shouts are becoming cries now, some deep and guttural and full of rage. Others are higher, born of pain and something that would appear to be fear. There is something else too, something that is growing in volume, that builds in strength. An awful cackling spiral of laughter.

And the laughter is getting closer.

This is curious - the Bureaucrat can feel his pulse racing, can see his hand trembling slightly as it grips the archaic pen he uses. He is unaccustomed to this feeling, to feeling... scared. He finds this loss of self-control entirely unacceptable, clasps his hands together on the desk he sits at, holding their tremors in place. He settles himself, reforges the steel of his will and stares at the plastek sheeting that curtains the doorway tens of metres before his desk. The laughter is very close now, a blurred shadow beyond the plastek hacking it out in spiralling crescendos that become slower and slower, like a clockwork engine winding down. A slim knife blade slips between the hanging sheets of plastek and pushes one aside. Following the bloodied length of steel is a gaunt figure wrapped in a long grey coat, a long barrelled las-piece held in its other hand, face covered by a grotesque hook-nosed mask of dark red.

The Knave moves beyond the plastek, takes long steps into the emptiness before the Bureaucrats desk. Its weapons are held casually, dangling loosely from its grip as though it has almost forgotten it holds them. Beads of blood roll from the blade and pitter-pat in the dust of the rockcrete floor. The Knave sighs extravagantly and speaks in a dry mocking tone.

"Hello friend. I hear you wished to inquire something of me?"

The Bureaucrat swallows hard, motions with one hand. A clutch of gang-toughs step out from behind pillars surrounding the desk, sidearms and heavier pieces braced and aimed at his unwanted visitor. For his part, the Knave looks unconcerned at the arsenal that is presented to him and cocks his head to the side in an exaggeration of amusement. He raises his own weapon filled hands slowly, held out to the side like a cruciform puppet. His tone is still mocking.

"Oh come now, heh, there’s no need for all this. I'm simply here to extend my good wishes."

A thin cold smile finds its way to the Bureaucrats lips.

"And those wishes extend to the wholesale slaughter of my men, is that correct?"

"Heh, well in defence of my friend, he is doing his best to only inconvenience your men. But one of them did make the foolish error of referring to him as a mutant, so his choler is rather up. Friend Guld does get testy when his genetics are questioned, but he is at heart a gentle soul. I however don't quite hold his scruples about killing, heh. And you and your questions did vex me so."

The Bureaucrat snorts, some of his arrogance and steel control returning as he regards his intruder. A minor headache has started to build behind his eyes and he can see one of his guards swallowing incessantly. For some reason he finds this immensely irritating.

"Your vexation is quite inconsequential. For all your skills, you are still just a hired gutter-knife. And a visitor to our city. You have what, three years in the Soak to your name? Pah. You don't belong here. You don’t understand Haven. There are things, presences, in the Drowned City that -" The Bureaucrat cuts himself off, makes a show of straightening his cuffs. "Well. No matter. I assume then that the passing of our Choirmaster was nothing to do with you?"

"Rest assured, o master of paper, I leave no doubt as to my complicity when I fulfil a contract."

"Our conversation is at end then. Please collect your...friend and leave. And remember, Knave - you are entirely unimportant in this city. Do not test the attentions of the Drowned City."

Beneath the grotesque hook-nosed mouth, the Knave's scarred mouth twists in a sneer before it becomes an insincere smile. He bows flamboyantly, weapons still hanging loosely from his gloved hands, and steps backwards while bowed.

"I do so enjoy our robust discourse my friend. Truly a highlight of my day. Give my best to your wounded and broken, won't you?"

He straightens and spins in a whirl of coat-tails and strides back to the plastek curtained doorway, chuckling quietly. The raised weapons of the Bureaucrats guards track him every step of the way. As he pushes through the plastek, the Knave pauses, throws half a glance back over his shoulder. His voice is low and taut, for once devoid of mockery.

"Just one thing to remember friend. I'm not from here, that much is correct. And that means I've seen an awful lot of cities, all with their own little secrets. Now, how many of those do you suppose I've killed?"

And then he is gone, leaving only the echo of his spiralling laughter.

~ End Scene

Gods, its almost 2am here, I have an urgent timescale meaty contract to finish tomorrow and I only got 4 hours sleep last night. But hobby is life.

Real quick planning update for you (I know, sorry) but there is a pic of something shiny at the end, promise.

So updates...... well... um.... yeah. Between having a lot of work on and other stuff to deal with, I have kinda struggled to get much more done on the Tarot other than the latest Scene. However, I did sit down today and plan out the next hand of 6 Cards, which are:

Judgement
Hound
Knight
Queen
Justice
Sage

Three of them are already started and I have a fairly decent idea of what I want to do for the Justice card. The others are still very much in the air. The Queen, or Mother of Nails, is the most loose at the moment - I did have something in mind that I don't think will work now, more on that in a minute, so I think Im right back to the drawing board there. One thing I will say is that aside from two of the Cards, everything else will be a native of Haven rather than linked to the Ordos or Trinica.

So, the other shiny news/Queen option. After many long years of patient hunting, I finally finally got my hands on two of Thistle's superb Femme Militant sculpts - Praytorian and Ratspyke. I can't describe how over the moon I was to finally have some of the Femme Militant range, I honestly can't. I've gone on enough about how much of an inspiration and influence Thistle was and still is, so to have these is amazing.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/885c9c59-39f9-4a9d-8844-a37b5016cce7_zpspvhjkapy.jpg

Now to my quandary. Of course I would love to include one of these in the Tarot as the Queen card, but they are in a 32mm scale rather than the regular 40k scale, so they kinda stand out a bit. Now, it might not be so much of a problem as I do already have a wide range of statures in the models, but I don't know. Part of me just wants to keep them as their own special little thing as well and potentially use the newer Isabella von Carstein as the base for the Queen.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated folks.

Jack.

They are indeed like gold dust, on a different order from other rare beasts like that knight pilot or your amazing little OOP necromunda scum-dude. Scale issues aside, you do have two and it would be a nice jewel in the project's crown. Is having them focusing your thoughts about a new concept for the mother of nails? In your position I would keep one (probably Ratspike, the model is just emblematic of the whole femme militant line) as its own thing. A seed for something new, even.

That said if I was in your position they would languish in the bits box as I would be too petrified to do anything with them...

How much bigger are those models compared to the average human? If they're only a smidgen taller you could probably get away with having her as a particularly Amazonian woman. If they're just too big though, how about that other female Vampire as a base model?

Alternatively you could always use this model from the Warmachine line, as it looks suitably imperious for a Queen.

gZA3MH.jpg

Evening chaps.

The Psycho - I believe I did catch some jealousy on Instagram yeah ;) They are pretty damn glorious aren't they?

Sandlemad - I was pretty damn lucky to get hold of these, have to admit. Got them pretty cheap too considering, don't think the chap selling them really knew what he had. The more I look at them, the more I think they both deserve to just be painted and admired in a project separate to the Tarot. I've got one centrepiece for the project already done in the form of the Tower, and late last night got thinking about other stuff to do for the Queen and so on.

Squigsmasher - They are pretty big, even all hunched and bent double as they are, so I think they might not work at all - as much as Ratspyke in particular would be perfect for the Queen card. That vampire though, there is definite potential there and the fact she is both finecast and dirt cheap for a character is a winner. Cheers for that.

As mentioned, I spent last night poking a few ideas around. I have a battered notebook that is full of random scrawling and notes, often with the same things repeated in different variations, where I scribble down character ideas and plans. Here's a look at the slightly tidier version of the notes from last night:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/359c16fb-51ac-4895-bcf1-2e69d0523586_zpsggf2ak66.jpg

The plan has changed a little - now there should be 5 extra regular cards and 2 new potential "trump" cards. So the regular cards should be Judgement, Hound, Sage, Justice and Knight, with the three major cards being King, Queen and the Tower. I have a small temptation to do an Exile card as well.

I ordered some bits last night for the Justice card, with a nice Rogue Trader throwback there and I've got my eye on the chap needed for the Sage. He will have cards. So meta. I also rethought the Knight completely, to bring a little balance to the loose groups forming. Here's a very very rough mockup of how he might look now;

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/2db03a30-43cf-4cd2-9cd5-4f0327ec8e8e_zpsekhdqf4x.jpg

Things are getting all kinds of weird in Haven.

Till next time chaps, with the Wardens reveal.

Jack.

Things are getting all kinds of weird in Haven.

Wonderful.

The Knight is coming along nicely, very strange, very bizarre. I look forward to seeing what else you've got in store. :)

Also, remind me to go check Born of Ash again. It's been a while since I've checked out your "other" project.

Hey folks. Very quick update for the Tarot tonight - I've been busy at the start of the week with a contract and then lost all motivation for hobby for a few days for some reason. Got back on it towards the end of the week by completing the painting on the Hollowed and the Paragon for Born Of Ash, but then vacillated and got distracted by thoughts of a potential Eldar Kill Team that I might do. Probably not, but I have got a hankering to do an Eldar model or two for something and Kill Team being all new is appealing to my distracted-by-shiny hobby magpie.

BUT. But. I have sat down and done some work on the Tarot today. The next Scene is mostly planned out and just needs writing up properly so I can reveal the Warden and do his Dramatis pics, and I ordered the bits needed for the Sage. Well, bit really. The Queen still is in the planning stage, but I do have two potential models in mind there. Will probably order one or both soon.

I also had a little flash of hobby-inspiration with the model for the Justice card, and quickly poked some stuff tonight. Pretty happy with how things are looking here:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/5a7ae618-bd15-454e-be07-e43a66617d7e_zps5wlyuyoy.jpg

I've got a soft spot for the old RT style Imperial Guard models, mainly thanks to that old artwork of the Necroumdan Spiders Regiment from way back in the day, so it was nice to include one as a nod to those glory days. The slighty dated look to the armour also works with that out-dated and worn-down feel I've been cultivating for Haven as well. All that really needed changing was replacing the legs to give better proportions and sorting a new right arm. Still lots to do, but Constable Cho makes another appearance, this time as a Card.

The Psycho - Ha you say that now mate... One option I am mulling over is taking the King in a very weird direction. I like it, but I don't know if the Tarot is the right place for it. It might be something for another project. The Knight and the Queen are hopefully going to be bizarre enough. Also, yes, go check Born Of Ash - there will be fully painted stuff up there soon, once I can grab some gloss varnish.

Will hopefully get the next Scene up soon, poor old Steyn has been waiting long enough.

Jack.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/f4caeb64-75ff-4f17-85c1-c2fd19f98d70_zpsg9dsvkdc.jpg

~ Exterior; The residence of the Lady Priss in the Risings District of Haven, late evening. 

The servitor-piloted skiff drew up to the dockside slowly, the faded ochre sides of the wood and plasteel vessel scraping against the rockcrete jetty. The brass-chased face of the hardplugged servitor chattered and spewed a ream of parchment from what used to be its mouth. The woman calling herself the Lady Priss tore free the parchment and dropped a couple of large denomination coins into the wooden collection box that collected charity for pilots and watermen fallen victim to the various waterborne ills that plagues their profession. Gathering her skirts in one hand, she stepped gracefully onto the jetty and paused to artfully rearrange her hair and clothing. Above her the rains of Haven fell unceasingly from slate grey skies, but in the Enclaves she and her fellow monied peers were protected by the worst of it by aging void shields that filled the air with the faint scent of ozone. She couldn’t decide which was more annoying – the constant suserrating patter of rain outside of the Enclaves, or the background static hum of the shields within the Enclaves.

Heavy footsteps echoed from the arched passage that led into the lower levels of her new home and she let the persona of the Lady Priss fall away, becoming Trinica Solari once again, turning to face her visitor. Striding into the sodium-yellow glow of the lamps dotted along the jetty, he was a squat and heavily built man clad in dark industrial fatigues reinforced with patches of vulcanised rubber. His head was entirely hairless, glare-goggles covering his eyes but not hiding the look of frustration and distaste on his face. 

"You're late." It was a flat statement, delivered with the harsh clipped accent of a man raised on the Traans plains. 

"Yes well," Solari sighed, waving one long fingered hand in dismissal."That silly little man from the house merchants does like to prattle on. I think he has quite the attraction to me. Anyway, I seem to recall that you work for me Steyn, not the other way around."

Steyn's mouth twisted, as if he had bitten down on something sour, the expression pulling down on the livid red scar tissue that spread along the left of his face and crept up onto his bald scalp. He folded his arms over his chest, blocking Solari's way into the house she now owned.

"When it comes to security, girl, you answer to me. We've not located the Ordo presence nor got eyes on the Arbites or the local excuse for Enforcers. Our guest is arriving in less than a week and we don't know who's going to notice. Preparation is piss-poor and you're swanning off around town like some fancy-girl, making the pretty eyes at some little fooking grubber."

Solari's face hardened, all traces of amusement falling away and something cold glittering in her too-large eyes. She moved closer to the man blocking her path, close to towering over him in the heeled boots she wore. 

"You know Steyn, it never fails to amaze me how big men with big guns assume they are always so important and think so little can be achieved just by talking. My little 'grubber', as you so charmingly put it, is as eager as a canid pup to tell me all about this soaking excuse for a city we find ourselves in. Local Enforcers? In the pocket of what could be laughingly called a crime boss here." As she spoke, Solari extended a slim finger with each point she made.

"The Arbites are barely seen, a handful to cover this entire sprawling pit. Remember how big Haven is? There's barely an Arbite for every hundred square kloms." Finger raised.

"Ordo presence? They're a myth, no one has seen or heard from an Inquisitor for decades. Their office has been locked closed for as long as he can remember." Finger raised. The frustration building in Steyn was easy to see, his jaw bunching as he bit down on something.

"Someone noticing our guest? Already taken care of." Finger raised. 

"And dear Spyle was only too happy to shock the Lady Priss with tales of famous rogues and criminals and murderous legends of Haven. The Spider, the Knave, something delightfully called the Mother of Nails and a multitude of other colourful characters. All could be very useful." Another finger raised, making her hand a slim blade that Solari slowly patted against Steyn's scarred and livid cheek. "That is the power of just talking."

Steyn bristled and twitched away at her touch, allowing Solari to elegantly slip past him and into the archway leading inside. Her voice drifted back as she disappeared into the house.

"Once our guest has arrived, please feel free to go shoot or blow something up if it'll make you feel better, but don’t forget – your primary concern is our guests security and safety. Leave the subtlety and heavy thinking to me, dear heart."

Left alone on the jetty, Morne Steyn quietly cursed the contract binding him and his men to this undertaking. His employers were usually more selective with the work he was given, this sneaking and shadowplay was uncomfortable. And Solari herself was a irritating bitch. Spitting into the waters of the canal, Steyn ran a hand over the scars twisting over his head, bitterness entering his words.

"Oh don't you worry girl, it's definitely our guests safety I'm worried about. Me, him, and no other fooker."

~ End Scene

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160417_111215_zpsnvheukbv.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160417_111226_zpsc1yhafdt.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160417_111300_zps6dei9203.jpghttp://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/Jackdaw1982/The%20Hanged%20Mans%20Tarot/20160417_111243_zpsr6dizm0o.jpg
Morne Steyn; Hardened soldier and dog of war, in the service of an organisation opposed to the values of the Imperium and come to Haven in the company of Trinica Solari.

Archived