Guard at 500 points

Hey all!

I'm going to be playing a few 500-750 point games soon. I really don't have a ton of experience with games this size, 1850-2000 is usually what I do. What are some rules of running guard at this level, and what type of guard works best?

I'm seeing 2 ways I could go. Either I can go for 2 veteran squads with flakk missile launchers and a tank commander as HQ. The idea with this approach would be just crushing the enemy with AV 14 and heavy firepower, which they just can't deal with at such a point level. The alternative, I'm thinking, is go full horde guard, zero vehicles, and laugh as I literally have more bodies than they have bullets. What do you guys think? 

500pts is very limiting for Guard if you want to use the FOC, so whatever you do you should focus on it. Guard horde is pretty effective as you can as you say bring more to the table than others can deal with along with plenty of supporting special/heavy weapons. Otherwise Vets are your main choice, though you can also get a Platoon and Vet build in for a bit of both. A couple of Chimeras can do well too.

I'd go something like:

CCS:

-commander w/ carapace & krak grenades

-2 plasma vets, 2 lasgun vets, carapace armor

Vets:

-3 meltagun vets, grenadiers (Carapace)

Vets:

-3 meltagun vets, grenadiers (Carapace)

3 ratling snipers

3 ratling snipers

3 ratling snipers

Armored sentinel w/ lascannon

Armored sentinel w/ autocannon

500. Mobile with some punch. Snipers are there to harass but losing one or two squads of them doesn't hurt at that price. Place a sentinel with each vet squad for mobile HW support.

CCS in a chimera, two vet squads, and a demolisher.  Use the rest of the points to:

1)  give the vets carapace or chamelioline

2) give the CCS weapons

3) give the vets weapons

With the CCS, the Chimera, and the demolisher, you can target three enemy units a turn, that should be plenty at 500 points.  The vets are there to score and draw fire.

Thanks for all the advice! One big thing is I need the ability to deal with flyers. I know at least one opponent in this campaign loves Air Calvary Scions. Another opponent is using tyranids, and yet another, daemons. I'm thinking some vets with Flakk missile launchers, given how many multiwound T4 3+ models tyranids have could be really handy. Expensive, of course, but with 2 or 3 such teams, I wouldn't be horribly scared of any army. Infantry, Mech, flyer, monster, I have something to deal with it. 

Thanks for all the advice! One big thing is I need the ability to deal with flyers. I know at least one opponent in this campaign loves Air Calvary Scions. Another opponent is using tyranids, and yet another, daemons. I'm thinking some vets with Flakk missile launchers, given how many multiwound T4 3+ models tyranids have could be really handy. Expensive, of course, but with 2 or 3 such teams, I wouldn't be horribly scared of any army. Infantry, Mech, flyer, monster, I have something to deal with it. 

Honestly?  Just replace the demolisher in my list with a vendetta...almost as good as the S10 pieplate against ground targets, and three godhammmers against aircraft!

/edit/ Vendetta does antitank and anti-flier better than missiles, and for anti-infantry, well, that's an IG specialty, the six shots from the chimera plus the shooting of your 25 infantry should handle that fine.  Honestly, who has 25 infantry per 500 points, well-equipped, and still has toys like chimeras and tanks/fliers?

Archived