Istvaan and audio books

Due to some crazy idea I had about starting a part time uni course, I've found that I've grown to prefer audiobooks over paper copies (when I've just finished a couple of hours heavy reading of archaeological journals I rarely think to myself "I know, I'll crack open a book now!"). I've had a couple of them now and trying to decide on my next, and though I know I want to go for the Istvaan story arc wanted to see what the opinions were of the books and the readings. Due to the price of the audio's I can only buy them sporadically so want to make sure I'm not disappointed.

The main two I'm interested in are Fulgrim or the First Heretic. I've read the first 4 books in the heresy and have had Fulgrim sat on a shelf since it came out and for some reason just haven't been able to read it. I've tried a couple of times and I really don't know why I've never kept with it as I enjoy the first chapter or two. I reckon I could stick with the audio so this one hinges on the performance really.

First Heretic seems like a safe bet, I love A D-B's work and really want to see how the heresy all came about, but after listening to the audio sample I was left a bit underwhelmed.

If anyone can share their thoughts on the story itself and/or the performance it would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't listened to the audiobooks for either of those, but I have listened to a decent amount of the audiobooks. 

My conclusion has been that anything read by Jonathan Keeble or Gareth Armstrong is a pretty decent listen, and between the two of them they do most everything. I think the others are Martyn Ellis, David Timson and Toby Longworth. I don't think I've listened to much by either of the latter two, but I couldn't do Martyn Ellis with A Thousand Sons. The line reading felt stilted and awkward to me.

That said, which of them you prefer to listen to is going to be pretty subjective. Definitely check out as many audio clips for a given performer as you can before you decide to buy, 'cause the audio books are not cheap.

Got all the audio books so I totally understand. If you're just looking at these two for now I can tell you both are great novels and the reader is very important. Just my personal tastes, David Timpson is my fav narrator and his books have a lot of range, which he lent to amazing use in Fulgrim. TFH is a better book IMO but in fairness should note it's ready by me least favorite narrator, Gareth Armstrong. I've heard other HH podcasts comment on how Gareth voices especially Lorgar and I agree he sounds...awkward. Not to hate on Gareth. I still can't take his wails or some female voices he does but his range of gruff, ethic and class for lack of a better word is nice. And after his first few audio books he no longer sounds like someone is wringing a moist sponge over the mic while he reads;)

Hope that helps. And each book now on BL site has all formats on a single description page so you can listen to an audio sample first. Good luck and hope you enjoy. The HH books are just amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived