Sabotage!/Sabotage and Automantic Shielding

rendingon1+

Question is:

Are Sabotage!(Vigilator) and Sabotage(Saboteur) attacks:

a) shooting attacks

b ) melee attacks

c) neither

Automantic shielding (contemptor) gives 5+ inv against shooting and 6+ inv against cc. Yesterday I told my opponent that his contemptor can't roll vs Sabotage! (got 4 glances!) cause it's neither shooting nor melee. Was I right or wrong? (please tell me I was right...unsure.png )

• 2 weeks later...

Well nothing is in base to base contact (combat)

As charlo says, I'd treat it on a 5+ to be fair.

Plus 'invulnerable saves may always be taken when the model suffers a wound, or in the case of a vehicle, glancing or penetrating hit' to quite the rule book there.

The only difference to the 5+ or 6+ is whether something is in base to base contact. Which it isn't.

Of course it's down to you to play how you want, but I think it's in the spirit of the game to let the guy have a crack at using his invulnerable save of 5+.

But sabotage is not classified as shooting. Automantic shielding gives you 6+ vs cc and 5+ vs shooting. Sabotage is neither, both in game (cc attacks are obviously not a thing and it's definitely not shooting ) and in fluff - it's more like bombs set in the right place earlier and detonated at the right moment. And who knows, mayby that sneaky vigilator sabotaged contemptor before the battle?laugh.png

And that's how we play it. (btw my opponent pulled the same trick on my contemptor in the next battle biggrin.png ).

Well, if you play it like that, that's your decision.

You could say many things that happen 'in the fluff' like for instance one ultramarine gunning down 10 word bearers on the furious abyss. (Actually that could probably happen lol)

Id say as a fair chance a 5+. It's sporting, and is in the spirit of the game. Up to you if you don't.

You could say it's turned its shield on before the explosion went off or it plopped off.

It's beardy alpha legion anyway so..

There's loads of unclear things like that throughout the book. If you've brought it up and he's happy with that BEFORE the game starts then fair enough. You can't just whack it on him and say 'that's dead' little unfair.

Ok, what's your point now?

I said "and that's how we play it" so you can deduct there is some kind of agreement between me and my oponent. And you compare "sabotage" attack to gunning down 10 WB by a single UM. Ok that happens in the fluff, but how does it affect "sabotage" attack that (as I said earlier) is not a cc attack and not shooting.

And "spirit of the game" argument is not an argument at all - everyone has a different definition for "spirit of the game".

Being sporting and rules discussion don't really come into it, sorry Theredknight. I underatand the point you are making, but like the painting section is not the place to comment on tactics, the rules is not the place to comment on gaming etiquette.

There is a houserules section, or the ability to say 'I think that it should be classified as a Shooting attack' (mainly because I'm fairly sure i've seen similar attacks/rules classed as Shooting), but the rules section discusses rules.

Actually, this is rather among the most clear, if nonsensical. Contemptors get a Save against Shooting or CC, with various bonuses dependent on it. If it suffers an attack which is not listed as such (Ie the Sabotage variants, or maybe dangerous terrain?), then no save is allowed. I do agree that it shoukd be defined as one or the other, or explicitly called out as neither for clarity.

Y'all will just have to agree to disagree on the methods you each individually apply in this specific circumstance.

In this regard, talk it out with your opponent beforehand and if a consensus cannot be reached a Roll Off is the next step.

Ok, what's your point now?

I said "and that's how we play it" so you can deduct there is some kind of agreement between me and my oponent. And you compare "sabotage" attack to gunning down 10 WB by a single UM. Ok that happens in the fluff, but how does it affect "sabotage" attack that (as I said earlier) is not a cc attack and not shooting.

And "spirit of the game" argument is not an argument at all - everyone has a different definition for "spirit of the game".

Ok ok, don't get you panties in a twist, why post about it if you don't want to know others opinions.

You've already decided to play that (and vehemently argue the point) so crack on.

You play how you want to, I was just making a point how fluff doesn't affect rules :-)

Yes hesh and slips, I appreciate that, it depends on the people you play with, you know I mean ;-)

And I'm out

thumbsup.gif

Besides if someone wants Sabotage to be classified as a shooting attack, I think it would be logical/obvious to apply it to any Sabotage target not just vs contemptor. And if it's a shooting attack let's not forget that Vigilator has Sniper. Which makes Sabotage much, much more powerfull - a side effect of playing in the "spirit of the game" I guess.

That's why I see "treat it as a shooting attack" option flawed. Of course it depends on the people you play with, you know I mean.

Archived