Good Inquisition Novels?

Good day Inquisitors,

Been playing Grey Knights and i'm starting to play Scions, there's one thing that times them all together - an inquisitor. I'd like to start the journey and story of my own inquisitor and his personal entourage, but without spinning out of control due to all the options available for henchmen.

So i'd like to read some good stories to inspire the budding Inquisitor in me. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I know about the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books, but what about others?

Also Ian Watson's Inquisitor War trilogy is worth getting hold of either individually or as an anthology.

Although, rather like Dickens, the prose is a bit heavy going in places in my opinion, they are great stories similarly filled with plenty of characters, strange places and plotlines.

They are a little out-dated fluff wise (one of Inquisitor Jaq's retinue is a squat) as they were written in the early days of 40K.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Inquisition_War_Trilogy_(Novel_Series)

Thanks for the posts, folks, I learned something from this thread. Have to look into some of those, as Eisenhorn and Ravenor were the only ones I knew of.

The only other inquisitor I can think of is the Ordo Xenos inquisitor (and love interest of Ciaphas Cain) Amberly Vail from the Ciaphas Cain novels. Personally, I never much liked the attempt at comedy genre that is the Ciaphas Cain novels but they're popular so you might like them more than I did. Inquisitor Vail features most prominently in the novels For The Emperor and Duty Calls. If nothing else she's interesting for the totally different take on an inquisitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe what I'm hearing. The first book in Ian Watson's trilogy was interesting and set up some interesting plot lines. The follow ups abandon them all almost entirely and are steaming garbage.

The books turn into a romance plot between the Inquisitor and a Callidus Assassin (yes, really), and then everyone just dies.

He's as bad as anything by Goto and I'm glad he never wrote anything for GW ever again.

• 2 weeks later...

That may be the best way to do it. The only blessing is you can tell the author also wanted it to stop, because he just stops writing. No wrap-up, no resolution, no epilogue, just, curtains. It ends like the Sopranos did.

The books are even funnier in the german translation which i have read. At that time the translators basically didn't care much for what the "official" translation for a lot of things, so everybody kind of did his own thing. When you're reading the book it's hilarious when you ask yourself "what the heck are they talking about" now and then and fifty pages later you find out "oh, they were talking about DEAMONS and THE WARP all the time, how could i miss that". Thankfully, translations have become a lot better since then (however, i normally prefer the original language).

Also: Squat sidekick ftw!

The words for daemons and the warp are "Verwerfungskreaturen" and "Verwerfungsraum", i have no idea how they came up with that. There's another good one: can you tell me who the "Kaisergrenadiere" are?

It's the Imperial Fists. Who would've guessed that?

However in their case, i can at least see were the translation comes from... at least if i try hard enoughbiggrin.png

• 1 month later...

I strongly recommend the first book of the =][= War trilogy (Inquisitor or Draco, depending on the edition). I read it as a child and again and again over the years. Very interesting indeed and a lot of good fluff and plot set up...

I was wary when, years later I thought about getting the second and third books and read so much negativity about them. Nevertheless I wanted to know what happened to that story and those characters from my childhood and so bought them...only to be disappointed. The first book was like a beautiful Persian rug...and the second and third books left so, so many threads unresolved. So little really happened in those last two books :( I find it rather sad, and I remember hearing that Watson was not to blame.

I'd be very interested to hear (in a different thread, of course) how members would rather the story have gone (from the end of the first book). :)

The recent Ahriman trilogy has an Inquisitorial sub-plot and some great scenes of intrigue, politics and dabbling with Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know.

The Grey Knights novel by AD-B (sorry, the title escapes me) features a badass female Fenrisian Inquisitor. I recomend reading this after the Ravenor trilogy just because there's a clever call-back that will go over your head if you don't.

Archived