Magnetized Scions

morroccomole

A cursory glance at the stickied magnetizing thread proved fruitless, so I thought I'd make a separate thread. A friend recently gave me a batch of tiny magnets, and I have 4 boxes of Scions to assemble. I figured I'd give magnetizing a shot, especially since these Scions are fairly expensive, so getting the most out of them would be ideal. The biggest challenge seems like it would be perfectly aligning each and every arm to the same torso, since the difference between the right shoulder and left shoulder being a millimeter out of place could throw off how the arms meet at the weapon.

Is this folly? Has anyone attempted this before? Thanks in advance for your input.

I wish you luck with this.

I have magnetised Terminator arms but they are simple compared to Scions. The first problem I see is, that as far as I know, some weapon options share arms which may leave you short of arms and the rifles have cables which attach to the backpack. It would be interesting to see how you go about this and remember to take loads of photos ;)

I will certainly do so, Elmo. I have made a sort-of back'o'the napkin table of which arms share weapons, since they are all numbered on the sprue, and in the instruction booklet. Since I have ruled out flamers and grenade launchers, the best I can surmise is that only two types will have to be magnetized at the elbow, in addition to the shoulder. Those being the melta an volley guns. but getting my drillbit aligned will be the true proof of concept.

I've yet to open my Scion box, from what I've seen it's not as easy as with Marines for example but that's no surprise. I think aligning them should be ok as long as you're careful and patient with the process, worst comes to it it's all internet so can be glued if it goes wrong! Let us know how you get on and good luck :tu:

One of the issues I had when gluing them was lining up the cables at the join point under the arm. 

It may be better if you are magnitising them to snip off the cables and use them as just weapon swaps

One of the issues I had when gluing them was lining up the cables at the join point under the arm. 

It may be better if you are magnitising them to snip off the cables and use them as just weapon swaps

This was my first thought, especially since the cables are half and half between the backpack and hotshot lasgun. If the melta gunner has the same arms, he would have this phantom cable hovering at his side. I think for ease of assembly, and also ease of painting I will snip the cables off.

Having put together 5 boxes of scions I think it might be a bit of a folly especially when personally I only ever run the min/max with plasma or meltas.

At that point its not as expensive to just glue them.

I wish you luck though and expect pictures.

Hi, I've built 8 squads of scions for my army and have run into the issue. I've found the best way is to think about is the maximum number of special weapons vs the minimum HS Lasguns you'll be rocking.

So, for example, if you have a command squad and 3 rifle squads (20 models) you'll have the following:

Command squad

-1 Tempestor Prime who doesn't really need magnets as he is more decorative and easily identified by the coat, chain and helmet spike. You could try to magnetize and swap out his skull stick with a pistol arm but it may cause problems with the coat.

-4 Scions who can hold special weapons as well as vox, flag, and med kit. I would recommend magnetizing all their arms and backs and then magnetizing various possible weapons, pack options as you see fit. 

Scion Squad

-1 Tempestor who has all 1 handed weapons so they are easy to magnetize and swap. Further, they will never use a weapon that requires the HS lasgun backpack so you can just cut the power cord and glue a pack on. 

-2 Scions who can hold special weapons so arms and backs could be magnetized.

-2 Scions who will carry HS lasguns and do not require any magnets. Alternatively, you could put a vox on one of the dudes, glue the slung rifle to the radio and use him as a signaler or rifleman as you see fit.

So all told, your 20 models in 1 command and 3 squads will net you:

-1 Tempestor Prime glued.

-3 Tempestors with magnetized arms but glued backpacks

-10 Scions with magnetized arms and backpacks.

-6 Scions glued with HS Lasguns (or some combination of glued voxes)

If you were to ever expand your force with more dudes, all the follow-on guys would be be glued HS Lasgun scions. If you expand the force with more squads, rinse and repeat the logic above.

If you want even more utility, take some of the extra arms from HS Lasguns and magnetize them as well. That way if you want less squads with more troopers, you can do that too by swapping special weapons for regular HS lasguns. The only issue will be the backpacks; I bought some bitz on ebay so I had extras to cut up or leave whole as required.

Hope that helps.

I bit the bullet... and just bought more. Magnetizing scions was quite difficult and I wanted very little variation (Almost all plasma, with some melta and 4 volleyguns) since my lists involving them are so similar.

Archived