Raven Guard 2500Pts

MorgothNL

A tweaked the list again, and opted to go for orbital assault (to be able to give the Mor Deythan a Dop Pod instead of Eagle or lonely rhino)

The tactical support squad switched to seeker squad with combi weapons (maybe combination of plasmas and meltas?)

+++Raven Guard (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (160pts) +
Legion Centurion (160pts) [Chaplain, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Refractor Field, Combi-Weapon]

+ TROOPS +
Legion Tactical Squad (210pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Legion Drop Pod

Legion Tactical Squad (210pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]

Legion Drop Pod

+ ELITES +

Mor Deythan Strike Squad (359pts) [9x Mor Deythan, 3x Combi-Flamer, 4x Combi-Plasma, 2x Flamer, 1x Plasma Gun]
Mor Deythan Shade [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

Legion Drop Pod

Contemptor Dreadnought (290pts) [Chainfist, Dreadnought CC weapon, 2x Graviton Gun, Extra Armour]
Dreadnought Drop Pod

+ FAST ATTACK +

Dark Fury Assault Squad (300pts) [8x Dark Fury]
Chooser of the Slain [Melta Bombs]

6x Legion Seeker Squad (310pts) [6x Seekers, 6x Combi-Weapons, Nuncio vox]
Legion Drop Pod

+ HEAVY SUPPORT +
Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (211pts) [Reaper Autocannon Battery, Searchlight]

+ LORD OF WAR +

Corvus Corax (450pts) [Decapitating Strike] 

Not sure which combi-weapons to give the Mor Deythan and Seekers yet exactly, but that's not a choice that need to be made at this point.

How does this list look? I need to start making the final decision because I'm about to relocate to a country where I can't order FW easily, so I need to order within the week.

The only weakness I see is AT. What you have you can make work but you'll have to be careful to keep everything supported to get maximum mileage out of it. It also depends on your meta. If you aren't facing full mechanized lists then being light in numerous sources of AT isn't a big deal. Based on what you said you're facing you'll be able to tell if you need more after some test games. Watch out for 40k battle companies in tournies(depending on how competitive the crowd is) though and keep that raptor alive.

Flamers for rending/psuedo-shred/ignores cover on Mor Deythan are the go-to but don't discount full plasma. With rending and 20 shots they can do ~3HP to AV14. I will suggest 7 of one type then three specials/alternate combis(like 7 combi flamers+3 plasma to to avoid 'dud' flamer template placement on the last guys) or full 10 combi weapons of the same type. It will keep them consistent. With drop pods it's a bit easier to give all 10 combi flamers and have all 10 hit well and erase tac blobs.

Seekers with combi plasma maim/outright kill important squads and characters. Mor Deythan with mostly combi flamers are for clearing out numbers and causing a lot of wounds. Mor Deythan with all plasma are inbetween the previous two. Not as quite as good, but certainly not bad, at racking up wounds or sniping out specials; they offer coverage instead in the form of added AT and anti-automata.

No theory or list survives the battlefield, but I think you have a good start to RG if you like what you see. I can suggest something based on my personal experience or tidbits that come from some mathhammer, but the most important part is that you'll enjoy whatever you end up using.

The only weakness I see is AT. What you have you can make work but you'll have to be careful to keep everything supported to get maximum mileage out of it. It also depends on your meta. If you aren't facing full mechanized lists then being light in numerous sources of AT isn't a big deal. Based on what you said you're facing you'll be able to tell if you need more after some test games. Watch out for 40k battle companies in tournies(depending on how competitive the crowd is) though and keep that raptor alive.

Flamers for rending/psuedo-shred/ignores cover on Mor Deythan are the go-to but don't discount full plasma. With rending and 20 shots they can do ~3HP to AV14. I will suggest 7 of one type then three specials/alternate combis(like 7 combi flamers+3 plasma to to avoid 'dud' flamer template placement on the last guys) or full 10 combi weapons of the same type. It will keep them consistent. With drop pods it's a bit easier to give all 10 combi flamers and have all 10 hit well and erase tac blobs.

Seekers with combi plasma maim/outright kill important squads and characters. Mor Deythan with mostly combi flamers are for clearing out numbers and causing a lot of wounds. Mor Deythan with all plasma are inbetween the previous two. Not as quite as good, but certainly not bad, at racking up wounds or sniping out specials; they offer coverage instead in the form of added AT and anti-automata.

No theory or list survives the battlefield, but I think you have a good start to RG if you like what you see. I can suggest something based on my personal experience or tidbits that come from some mathhammer, but the most important part is that you'll enjoy whatever you end up using.

Good post Nusquam! Really sounds like you have some experience with some of the options I'm considering.

Looking at this and the last list, what would you tweak to increase AT power? I do face mechanised armies quite often, thought that doesn't always mean all armour has to be killed to win the game. Mor often then not, it can actually be a good choice to focus on the objectives, or have the opponent keep his deathstars riding in the transport, rather than forcing him out.

But compared to my EC list (that has a lightning with krakens, Command squad with MB in dreadclaw, Sicaran and some powerfists as AT) this list is quite low on AT indeed. I just don't see where to get it from if I don't to go the lightning route with my RG too. All that armoured ceramite is just silly with meltaguns being 15pts most often.

I'm not doing anything weird with these list. The AT is something I'm worrying about in all 30k lists. But I don't quite know how to fix that with RG, if you don't want to be going the lightning or tank route.

I could drop the seekers and add another dread in pod, but I'm worried about the boots on the table, the diversity of the list, the fun factor and the fluff factor. Besides that, the seekers are free since I have the models and weapons in the BaC box, and the extra dread would add +-150 euro of expenses.

EDIT:

Ok, so what if I just got rid of the Mor Deythan flamer thing, and give their role of anti termies/plasma AT, to big seeker squad. Seekers are still cool, and with seekers I can go for the decapitating strike and give the a DP. This saves the points of the Eagle for Mor Deythan, or all the extra pods that I have to take with orbital assault.

I will just add a squad of 5/6 with sniper rifles cause the look cool and are RG and they can grab a backfield objective, and use all the saved points to add a lightning with 2x2 kraken.

I was sticking to the Mor Deythan of seekers all the time cause they seem better for the same points, but realising they are the ones restricting me due to the fact that the need a ride and can't just take a pod, seekers seem to be the less limiting option across my list.

So then it would be something like:

+++Raven Guard (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (160pts) +

Legion Centurion (160pts) [Chaplain, Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Refractor Field, Combi-Weapon]

+ TROOPS +

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]

+ ELITES +

Mor Deythan Strike Squad (180ts) [5x Mor Deythan, 6x Sniper Rifle]

Mor Deythan Shade [Melta Bombs]

Contemptor Dreadnought (290pts) [Chainfist, Dreadnought CC weapon, 2x Graviton Gun, Extra Armour]

Dreadnought Drop Pod

+ FAST ATTACK +

Dark Fury Assault Squad (300pts) [8x Dark Fury]

Chooser of the Slain [Melta Bombs]

Legion Seeker Squad (350pts) [8x Seekers, 8x Combi-Weapons]

Legion Strike Leader

Legion Drop Pod

Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter (210pts) [2x Two Kraken Penetrator Heavy Missiles, Battle Servitor Control, Ground-Tracking Auguries]

+ HEAVY SUPPORT +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (211pts) [Reaper Autocannon Battery, Searchlight]

+ LORD OF WAR +

Corvus Corax (450pts) [Decapitating Strike]

I live by the lightning too. One finds its way into all my lists. It works and fits. Followed often by quad mortars snuck-in piece-by-piece to ambush my opponent.

AT in 30k is in a strange spot if you're only facing other marines. There are only a handful of things that are truly effective against marine vehicles with ceramite.

The xiphon is also a good alternative choice if you really don't want to duplicate stuff from your EC. The launcher on it has massive range, two shots, forces rerolls on cover, and the d3 internal damage rule. Backed up by two twinlinked lascannons. It won't hit AV14 with ceramite as hard, but anything less, and especially flyers, are in trouble. You'll have to get creative to pop spartans and make sure that dread can get two more shots and a charge off though.

It's hard to not be fluffy when playing RG. They were the reasonable legion. They had a lot of toys and used what they had to if their normal MO wouldn't cut it. Even after the massacre they had their own personal forge world.

Also I forgot to mention the Strike Leader can't take a combi-weapon, technically. Only "Seeker Marines" can, which he is not. But most people rule it that he can, because it's strange he's so explicitly exempt from taking one. So that'll be a talking point.

So in this new list you have a good amount of AT. The lightning hits the big stuff, raptor mulches medium and low AV, and even infantry, while you have the dread(which has 4 attacks now finally) to zap and punch things, with seekers and a few MBs as back up AT. Then going one step further Corax can tear apart anything that exists in the game. You're anti infantry is covered well by the furies and corax. If you can get Corax bouncing around he will tear up anything that isn't a primarch led 2+/3++/FnP deathstar. Of which will be most of your opponents list at these points and you can just hamstring, shoot to death/play the mission.

Archived