3000pts Ultramarines - Logos Lectora & allied Solar Auxilia

Izzinatah

Hi all, this is my first 30k list expanding out from Betrayal at Calth with some vehicles I have from my 40k days & some FW additions:

+++ Ultramarines (3000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Refractor Field]
··Consul [Master of Signal]

Legion Praetor [Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade] (FW Legion Champion mini)
··Artificer Armour [Mantle of Ultramar]
··Invictarus Suzerain Squad [5x Invictarus Suzerains]
····Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]
··Master of the Legion [The Logos Lectora]

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
··Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Extra Armour, Graviton Gun, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

+ Fast Attack +

Xiphon Interceptor [Armoured Cockpit, Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]

+ Heavy Support +

Fulmentarus Terminator Squad [Cyclone Missile Launcher, 4x Fulmentarus Terminator, 4x Power Fist]
··Fulmentarus Decurion [Power Sword]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIII: Ultramarines]

++ Solar Auxilia (Allied Detachment) ++

+ HQ +

Auxilia Tank Commander

+ Troops +

Auxilia Infantry Tercio
··Dracosan Armoured Transport [Auxiliary Drive, Demolisher Cannon, Extra Armour, Flare Shield]
··Veletaris Storm Section
····Prime [Melta Bombs, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack +

Auxilia Leman Russ Strike Squadron
··Auxilia Leman Russ Battle Tank [Lascannon]
··Auxilia Leman Russ Battle Tank [Lascannon]

(These can Outflank!)

(Logos Lectora requires that I have no more tanks/fliers than infantry in the UM detachment - I have the same amount of each)

Things I'm not sure on are:

- The Tactical squad Sergeant loadouts - power sword, fist or combi-weapon? Power sword is fitting, but I see a lot of fists in other lists! Plus they might be useful against Mechanicum..

- The Xiphon - I like the mini & it's a beastly interceptor that seems pretty good in an AT role as well, but it'll have to be Jinking/running off the board every other turn (I think! I haven't really played since fliers became a thing). For £20 more I could get a Storm Eagle, and for less I could get a Sicaran - although no-one in our group has a Xiphon yet!

- Lascannons on the Leman Russes. They are primarily there as one of the Russes I have has one glued on - but with Ordinance weapons they aren't worth keeping, right? Even with Tank Hunter?

I'll mostly be playing against Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Death Guard & Mechanicum, with Imperial Fists as my only Loyalist ally!

What do you guys think of this list? Thanks!

Feedback from my own Xiphon-fetish threads is that it's perfect for an interceptor, so is only worth including if you need AA.

Lightning is superior for ground AT with the various loadouts available.

I assume your playstyle revolves in an aggressive advance? If so you have a good number of elite units and obj.sec. Firepower seems solid.

Only thing I'd say isn't ideal is lack of a LoW. At 3k (depending on your local meta) you will be facing Primarchs or super heavies. You don't have any heavy AV or high strenght high AP weapons to deal with them.

The Logos is a difficult RoW to use. Very limiting, but very nice when it works. Honestly to plat it competitive you need the big G as well (and to spam one unit type like sicarians). I feel that your list doesn't benefit enough from it to justify the cost. If you drop it you can drop an expensive and nearly worthless tac squad and replace it with more heavy hitting units.

Thanks for the replies! I see what you mean about the Rite of War, but if I swap out the Logos Lectura for no RoW I'll have 10 unused Tactical marines - I could use them as Veterans, which are great, but it wouldn't save points (~65pts more for melta bombs, Sniper and two heavy/support weapons) and would mean all of the Tacticals, the Suzerain and the Contemptor lose BS2 Snapfire and Counterattack capabilities. That said, it would allow my flier to Deep Strike and I wouldn't have to take the Master of Signal who, to be honest, doesn't really seem to offer much in this list (although he might benefit my Imperial Fist ally significantly!). Thankfully it's easy to play around with as I wouldn't really need different models - I'll give both a try!

I don't think I'll be facing any Primarchs nor any Super-Heavies, although possibly Knights and Fire Raptor/Storm Eagles. I think I'll dump the Xiphon in favour of a Lightning - being able to swap its loadout around means I can use it for a whole bunch of different roles. Plus, phosphex bombs! The other option would be a Sicaran or Venator, which would be cheaper, but I think the Lightning can deal with both enemy fliers and Knights (the latter through excessive use of missiles). With all the trimmings (except maybe the Ramjet Diffraction Grid), two sets of missiles and one of phosphex bombs it comes in at just a bit more than the Xiphon for a multi-role aerial option (assuming it survives, of course, but a turn in which it can drop both bombs and fire all four missiles would be pretty godly!)

(EDIT: Actually, I might need the Xiphon. A single TL Lascannon isn't really something to rely on for taking out fliers, and the Terminal Tracking rule is pretty amazing. It's very much a choice between AA and AT and I think I'm missing more of the former at the minute, I just can't decide how much of a problem that is.)

Finally, I do love Roboute, but I don't think we're doing Primarchs just yet so it would be a little unfair. I know he's great with a couple of Sicaran, but that's >£200 and I'm not a huge fan of the idea of it smile.png

Archived