War without end

hutch2mutch

• 2 months later...

Question:

Has any one of you read the collection? Or have you read some of the individual stories?

What did you think of them?

I've read them, and I'd say it's probably the best anthology collection in the series right now, especially impressive considering how many stories there are in it (maybe 2nd if you count the Angron collection, but that only has 3 stories anyway). The only story in there I consider weak is Rob Sanders' The Harrowing, and I'm not usually a fan of his style anyway. Everything else ranges from decent to excellent, with the best ones IMO being Twisted, The Devine Adoratrice and Daemonology, and some I wasn't expecting that much from turned out to be surprisingly good, like James Swallow's Gunsight and Nick Kyme's Chirurgeon.

I second...totally worth it, especially if you don't have the limited edition collections they are from (Blades of the Traitor, Death and Defiance, Imperial Truth, and Sedition's Gate). I had 2/4 so some of these were old but it was great to get these four all in one espceically for 27 US which is awesome. I agree with Tymell, one or two weaker ones but most of the others are pretty good to awesome. My top 3 is Daemonology, Twisted, and Chirurgeon. If you like Pharos the other two shorts by Guy: The Laurel of DefianceA Safe and Shadowed Place is a must since it gives context to the other big players in Pharos like Corvos and the NL brothers.

I agree wholeheartedly with what was posted above, there are some fantastic stories in there.

I'd like to add Twisted to the must-read list, Guy Haley writes an awesome Maloghurst, probably the best we've seen out of an otherwise wasted character.

Archived