Raven Guard - 1850

jpwyrm

Hi there!

I want to start a small Raven Guard army that I can use both in 40k and 30k. I like the special ops vibe of the Ravens, so I don't mind going quality over quantity.

I'm still debating if the jump packs are worth it on the destroyers or if a Rhino would be better, infiltrating/outflanking them where I need them. Also, I would very much like to try the darkwing stormeagle instead of the Fire Raptors - anyone has any feedback on the Darkwing? Is it worth it?

Here's the list, thanks for your feedback'

+++ Heresy Raven (1847pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1847pts) ++

+ HQ (345pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Legion Centurion (145pts) [Artificer Armour, Cameleoline, Fractal Harrow-blade, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

····Consul

········Delegatus

············Master of the Legion [Chosen Duty]

Legion Centurion (100pts) [Cameleoline, Power Armour]

····Consul [Master of Signal]

+ Troops (320pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (160pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Veteran Sergeant, 5x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (160pts) [Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Veteran Sergeant, 5x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Sniper]

+ Elites (692pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (55pts)

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

Legion Destroyer Squad (330pts) [Jump Packs, 5x Legion Destroyer Space Marine, Melta Bombs, Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web and Rad Missiles Only]

····Legion Destroyer Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Infravisor, 2x Phosphex Bombs]

Mor Deythan Strike Squad (307pts) [Artificer Armour, 6x Combi-weapon, Melta Bombs, 3x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web, 8x Mor Deythan]

+ Heavy Support (490pts) +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (210pts) [Reaper Autocannon battery]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (280pts) [7x Legion Space Marines, Multi-meltas]

····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIX: Raven Guard]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

You don't want meltabombs on Destroyers. They're for taking out infantry. RG get furious charge with packs, which combos well with their rad grenades. As for packs vs rhino do you want them to support or lead the charge? The rhino is cheaper, and being a DT they can outflank or infiltrate with it, and they can fire their rad launchers out the top but then you lose potent assault capabilities. The pack upgrade is costly, especially at only 5 marines. 15ppm for a pack is way too much so a rhino wins out in this case. Then you really don't want MBs when taking a non-assault transport. Also the infravisor is great on things like heavy support squads that are hitting things turn 1 if there's night fighting, but on a short range assault squad it won't do much. A case can be made if they have two rad launchers in a rhino that infiltrated.

What combi weapons do the Mor Deythan have? Flamers are the usual go-to. No rhino? Infiltrate 12-18" away, scout 12", move 6", disembark 6", and Fatal Strike-ing something is deadly. There you want plasmaguns instead of MLs to add more wounds(you're not assaulting out of a rhino/after infiltrating or scouting anyway). If you're running them as support, to make use of the ML range, then sniper rifles will serve you better than combi.

As for the Heavy Support squad, anything that's going to move up close to them is going to have armoured ceramite(spartans, conveyors, dracosans) or be a rhino chassis and then they'll be total overkill. The exception is if you're playing a lot of knights, because one or two will just avoid them. I recommend missile launchers for the range since the HSS is the only unit that can effectively threaten AV14.

With the new errata, relics are something you have confirm with your opponent now. They aren't considered part of the 'core' wargear options like relics in 40k. Probably minor, but it's good to know.

Whats the command rhino for? The deepstrike bubble is good, as is the reserve roll buff, but you only have one or two units max that can make use of it. I recommend dropping it and upping your destroyer count to 10 if you want to run them with packs.

What makes the Darkwing great isn't that it's just a stealth Storm Eagle that you compare directly; it's that it can be taken as a dedicated transport for some units without a specific RoW like Angels Wrath. This keeps your FA slots open and grants you a flyer transport for things like terminators anytime. A Fire Raptor is better if you just want a support gunship.

The Delegatus and Vets with sniper are good at this point level.

Thanks a lot Nusquam! That's a lot of good advices.

I probably should have said that I'll mostly be fighting Xenos with this list, so some things that are common in 30K like Spartans are nonexistent in my meta. Anyways:

Destroyers - right, so I'll bite the bullet and go full squad on them, with jump packs and no meltabombs, even though they could get handy against Riptides. Loose the Infravisors, got it!

Mor Deythan - yeah, combi-flamers it is. I may try combi-grenade launchers at some time too as I like the idea and flexibility. Plasmaguns are probably better for them too, thanks!

Heavy Support Squad - those are supposed to hunt down Riptides and Stormsurge. Against Xenos, melta should come in handy, but I see your point in a 30K context. I'll be sticking to my guns for this one, at least for the first game against my Tau adversary.

You're right, the Damocles is probably not much useful in that list. Thanks for the heads up on Relics, I didn't know that. Should not be too hard to get rid of it. I'll update the list soon for review.

Meltabombs are also unwieldy so MCs will chop up some guys first. You have rad launchers that have radphage and fleshbane, krak grenades, and if you have an axe for the sarg you'll be at S6 or a fist for S9 on the charge.

Mor Deythan with plasma are great AT thanks to rending, while Seekers with plasma are better anit-infantry thanks to PE. It's just that Mor Deythan with mostly flamers are even better anti-infantry. The flamer/template rules takes maximum advantage of Fatal Strike.

I see your point on the MMs in a 40k context, but 24" still isn't that far against mobile platforms like Wraithknights and Tau suits that can pop around 12" and have thrust moves while having longer range weapons. If you infiltrate and go first you might get a good shooting phase off, doing 3 wounds on a riptide outside of cover(but it will probably have drones to tank) then they can shift just outside your range and unload back on you. And if it's tau, probably with ignores cover and low AP weapons too and kill them in a single phase. Try it, but I just don't see then having an advantage beyond hitting something once if you're going first.

Archived