Best way to deny DS attempt?

exsonics

Hello all 

Not only for my armored list plan, but also for many types of IG army, deep strike assault team sometimes become a headache. 

What I'm considering right now is Inquisitor Coteaz, but to me, "12" + should be in his LOS" condition feels like a bit harsh limitation. I would give him Scion command squad, but not sure how to manage him in the battlefield. Joining him in my armored list seems like a good plan, but not sure 12" is enough distance. In addition, my tanks are big enough to block his sight. :P My questions: 

1. Is there any "general usage" to field and play with inquisitor Coteaz?

2. Other than Tempestus, what is the best squad to join him, including SM, GK, Inq allies?  

3. Instead of Coteaz, what is the best way to prevent or greatly limit the DS? 

My armored company lists will have few units to field, so there will be lots of spaces for my opponent. Not sure how to cover the back and side. 

Thank you :) 

An allied Land Speeder Storm will double the number of dice rolled for scatter distance of anything arriving within 12".

Two Scout Squads with Storms led by Telion with Ultramarines tactics is only 240 points and will cover pretty much your whole army, without having to pay for anything that isn't generally useful.

20 man crusader squad with Coteaz is pretty nasty. Failing that, I believe the rule says within 12 inches and line of sight of the unit, not Coteaz, so you could always take a 50 man Emperors Shield infantry platoon, blob it, shove 5 autocannons or heavy bolters in there, and spread the whole thing all over the board. Protip: You can shoot at each individual unit that comes in, and drop pods are separate units, so take a little anti armor in the squad.

The best protection is to prevent them landing in your lines, but that's not always possible (and you need a fair few models to do it!). Otherwise pickets to protect your more valuable and higher priority targets such as armour is a good idea as it means they can't hit them effectively right away. As mentioned Coteaz and his tricks is a great way to handle incoming units and he's easily added to a list if you want.

Come on people, we're the Imperial Guard here. What is all of this nonsense talk about using psychic abilities, special spy networks, or fancy technology? What are we? Tau? Eldar? Pffft, we're the Emperor's hammer and we can solve this problem the way we solve every problem.

Disposable manpower.

This is why conscripts are a thing at all. Get a platoon, or two, and wrap your army in fifty to a hundred bodies that mostly don't matter if they die. Give the enemy only one viable target a bunch of BS/WS2 whiteshields. The survivors will be stronger for the experience.

An allied Land Speeder Storm will double the number of dice rolled for scatter distance of anything arriving within 12".

Two Scout Squads with Storms led by Telion with Ultramarines tactics is only 240 points and will cover pretty much your whole army, without having to pay for anything that isn't generally useful.

Thanks to let me know Lucien, I found the Jamming Beacon rule of the Land Speeder Storm. CAD or Allied Detach option with the Telion + 2 scout squad + one or two Land Speeder Storm looks great. Is there any formation that I could use with Land Speeder Storm? Can Raptor Wing use Land Speeder Storm? 

20 man crusader squad with Coteaz is pretty nasty. Failing that, I believe the rule says within 12 inches and line of sight of the unit, not Coteaz, so you could always take a 50 man Emperors Shield infantry platoon, blob it, shove 5 autocannons or heavy bolters in there, and spread the whole thing all over the board. Protip: You can shoot at each individual unit that comes in, and drop pods are separate units, so take a little anti armor in the squad.

Great thanks Henricus. I also checked the rule, and you're right. It is the LOS of Coteaz and his unit, not only him. I'm considering to build tank-major army with armored formation (Steel Host or Emperors fist) or Armored Battle Group, so I wish not to use too many guardsmen here. That is why I was considering Scion squad. Regarding Crusaders, do you mean Black Templar's one? Are there good cheap formation which comes with Crusaders? Or should I need to use CAD? 

The best protection is to prevent them landing in your lines, but that's not always possible (and you need a fair few models to do it!). Otherwise pickets to protect your more valuable and higher priority targets such as armour is a good idea as it means they can't hit them effectively right away. As mentioned Coteaz and his tricks is a great way to handle incoming units and he's easily added to a list if you want.

Thanks WarriorFish. I'm thinking of Coteaz + Scion squad or henchmen with heavy weapons. Cost is always the problem. :P 

Come on people, we're the Imperial Guard here. What is all of this nonsense talk about using psychic abilities, special spy networks, or fancy technology? What are we? Tau? Eldar? Pffft, we're the Emperor's hammer and we can solve this problem the way we solve every problem.

Disposable manpower.

This is why conscripts are a thing at all. Get a platoon, or two, and wrap your army in fifty to a hundred bodies that mostly don't matter if they die. Give the enemy only one viable target a bunch of BS/WS2 whiteshields. The survivors will be stronger for the experience.

Thank you librisrouge. I strongly agree that the meat shield guardsmen are the best option to cover my tank, but currently I'm challenging to the competitive play with the tank-majored armored list using CBG, Formation Detach or ABG (IA01e2). Since tanks are extremely vulnerable against assault, I was looking for cheap but reliable DS denying picket to protect my tanks. But I will also may try the manpower shield sometime later. 

spreading out around 200 troopers is the best way ive found to deny deep striking nonsense,,,,,

Thank you gomericus. guardsmen blobs are always expandable but reliable (with priests) protection. But I wish to try the way of tanks. Hope to find a way to protect tank-majored list from DS assault. 

Well the Hydra Flak Tank has 4 S7 AP4 attacks with interceptor for 75 points. Use 2 of those to deal with eldar trickery. For drop pods, I always just make sure that whatever squad drops in will die

It's only that way in the Armored Battlegroup list. From the codex, and thus the formations, its 70 points but does not have interceptor or ignores jink.

Well the Hydra Flak Tank has 4 S7 AP4 attacks with interceptor for 75 points. Use 2 of those to deal with eldar trickery. For drop pods, I always just make sure that whatever squad drops in will die

Thanks guardsman. 1~2 Hydras are already included in my ABG deck. But does the ABG Hydra has interceptor rule? It only has a targeting system, not the interceptor. How do you usually prepare against the drop pod assaults? 

It's only that way in the Armored Battlegroup list. From the codex, and thus the formations, its 70 points but does not have interceptor or ignores jink.

Does ABG Hydra has a interceptor rule? I can only see Auto targeting system, which ignores Supersonic & Jink but can't flat out, but no interceptor in the book (IA01e2). Are they the same? Are there any other IG unit with interceptor rule? 

I honestly do not know, I've never fielded a Hydra from that. I kinda assumed as much since he referenced it having it and I couldn't think of where else it might have it from.

It seems they are different. As far as I know, the unit with the interceptor rules in IG are Sabre Gun Battery, and Icarus Lascannon / Quadgun in Aegis defense line. But still, I like ABG Hydra with the targeting system. Regarding the DS denying, I think I may need to hire Coteaz+Scions or look more into Land Speeder Storms.  

I take a Ravenwing Support Squadron with 3 Typhoons LS and a Darkshroud LS for 6 S8 missiles 12 HB shoots only 305 point. And you got Interceptor, Strafing Run, 2+ re-roll jink, Ravenshield BS2 overwatch for themselves.They also can move 12"+18" a turn if you want. You can replace Darkshroud LS by Vengeance LS ... you will lost 2+ re-roll jink but you can use S7AP2 big blast for interceptor...

Is there any formation that I could use with Land Speeder Storm? Can Raptor Wing use Land Speeder Storm? 

Not on its own, but it's a dedicated transport for Scouts, so any Formation that includes them. 10th Company Task Force, Shadowstrike Kill Team, Pinion Demi-Company. 

It's a different unit from plain Land Speeders, so no, you can't take it in a Raptor Wing.

Archived