Steel Legion: Slow-Grow

Marshal Mattias

I acquired my first squad of guardsmen; my favourite Steel Legion. I really like the classic scheme, just wondered if anyone had some advice on painting them up with the current GW/Vallejo paint ranges to get that proper Codex Armageddon look? I'm a bit lost with my ancient knowledge of exclusively GW paints.

Thanks!

(edit: this thread will evolve into a short plog as I attempt to paint my first ever AM models, and grow them to at least a 500 point allied/independent force, and possibly more!)

Appreciate it as well Warriorfish. Currently got my haND's on over 100x Steel Legion Infantry models, as well as a bunch of Hvy. Weapons as well with more to come so this will help me out a lot as well.

Challenge accepted! The first models arrived in the mail and - oh boy, they are so awesome! I can't believe how long it has taken me to finally pick these up! Unfortunately my experience in the life of a guardsman is basically nil, and I usually just turn the heavy flamers on them as they tend to be between me and my goal! Now the boots are on the other feet, and I need to learn how to make them functional while sticking to some basic aims:

- I love the idea of massed ranks, and while SL are typically known for their armoured divisions, I will definitely be going infantry-focused myself.

- Thematically, they are to partner with my Black Templars and Adepta Sororitas for a Helsreach/Armageddon flavour. I'm not going for super-competitive, but I'd still like to make the most out of them in my gaming.

- The metal models are a limited range and make for tricky conversion prospects - certain models (like grenade launchers, missile teams and plasma guns) are easily found, others less so - and of course -increasingly expensive!

- I actually have two sets of the 10-man box, so that's 12 lasguns, 2 GLs, 2 missile teams and two sergeants.

- I really like the look of the las cannon teams, and will be keeping my eyes peeled for those. They would add some firepower that I often skimp on in my lists, I reckon!

So that's my current point and early thoughts - any advice or tips on how to get started? I can't wait to get pairing and have a crack at them! I'm going to investigate that zhandri dust spray as I think it might be a good tone for the majority of the subsequent layers.

What sort of tips are you looking for - painting ones? If so, work in batches but not large ones. Break it up with special weapons/sergeants/etc so the lasguns don't wear you down. It's all worth it in the end when you have lots of cool Guardsmen on the table top :)

Totally, I feel you on that - I tend towards 5-man painting sessions ;)

Actually, I guess I'm more in the market for some list-construction advice? Is it plausible to base my army build around the infantry platoon? Are there any particularly good/bad loadouts that I should think about? Basically, before I start acquiring more models, is there anything I should be desperately seeking/avoiding like the plague?

That's not a question easily answered as the Platoon is wide and varied in use and that's before you look at the rest of a list! As a rule of thumb Platoons are a good core to a list and should follow the Guard mantra of cheaper, shootier and numerousier. CC upgrades are pointless outside of blob squads and Sergeant guns usually wasted points short of the odd bolt weapon spare point or so. Platoons are flexible but are best focused to a task I think which is usually holding or taking ground and protecting the rest of your army (chiefly tanks).

So overall, things are fairly straight forward in use. BS3 T3 5+ models aren't going to want lots of points spent on them, nor loads of the best upgrades. In my lists I keep them very cheap and focused on anti-infantry roles. Flamers and grenade launchers negate BS3 somewhat and are nice and cheap so you don't need to spent much to get useful units.

It'd be a lot easier if you told us what you were thinking of using, as that would let us target the advice better :)

Good points - I'm probably best avoiding overspend on gadgets then!

Chiefly I'm looking to hold ground with them and give some heavy weapon support to more aggressive elements of my Imperial forces - dig'em in like ticks and hold onto objectives.

My current thoughts were to pick up three sets of the SL kit, split the 3 missile teams off into a heavy unit (possibly giving Flakk), use the guardsmen to make up a couple of larger blobs and stick some grenade launchers in there. Then I wanted to grab 3 lascannon teams for another heavy unit. Then I'm just short a command squad, and figured that a plasma team might make up for my general lack of AP2 in most of my lists. (However perhaps plasma is a poor choice on a guardsman?)

Because my allies are Templars/Sororitas, I shouldn't find I'm lacking in the melta/flamer department, and can bring fliers/land raiders/vindicators to my hearts content.

I'm also at a bit of a loss for a decent HQ choice - not sure where to start there, although as I'm leaning away from tanks generally, I'd be looking for an infantry model.

Yeah, Vets and CCSs are best for plasma thanks to their BS4 - Scions too if you're interested (especially their CSs). Grenade launchers will be a good cheap option it's unfortunate that missile rocket launchers are a bit over priced but they are better in number usually where their flexibility can matter more. Flak is very expensive though, if you do that you'll need to make sure your HWS is suitably entrenched to give them the best shot. For a HQ choice a CCS is always solid, even more so with a good trooper element to a list :)

Archived