Night Lords Atrementar leader needs a name!

Delvian

Not sure how much of a response will be generated from this post, but any help would be much appreciated!

I'm converting up the Praetor from the Betrayal at Calth set to be a leader of the Night Lords Atrementar, the elite terminator bodyguard unit for the Night Lords. I'm going for a grizzled old veteran with scars and just a little bit of hair left! The Atrementar are often the unit to keep the Night Lords in check and following the word of their leader, quite a task for a bunch of backstabbing cutthroats with a bare scrap of honour! Because of this, his very appearance will command respect and obedience amongst his legion brothers, and none dare risk his wrath.

So....

Can anyone think of a suitable name for this chap?

Or point me in the right direction of a cool resource to use? A Night Lords one would be even better!

I've used a generic Chaos generator, but they all seemed a bit... blatant Chaos.... if that makes sense! 

Did somebody say name generator?

Because I know of a name generator.

It's an awesome name generator.

Name generator.

:D

But for serious, it is my go to generator for names. Pick the options you want (you can select more than one), tell it how many to pop out (full options are five) and go.

Best thing about it is that you can click on a name and dive into its meanings and see related names. Far from the only name meaning website, but it is easily the best I have ever come across.

What you do, for the Night Lords especially, is take it for a whirl until you find some sound combinations that just fit, then 40kify the spelling. I recall the Nostraman language being described as sinister and serpent-like. So toss in some S, Z and CKs in there.

Usually, for me, just playing around with the generator, spellings, and dives into name meanings and wiktionary.com (explores linguistic attributes and histories of words and names) will net me quite a list of names that I can populate a whole DIY with.

Many thanks both, they are some very useful responses. I've got a few options to play around with now.

Erasus, yes Sevatar was during the Heresy, but I'm doing Atrementar for 40k (with Calth models). Now a fractured force, it's a small contingent with my Night Lords warband in M41.

Sergeant Zarash Drahsul, Sin Eater, He Who Murders Hope, the Butcher of Innocence IV.

I thought a few snazzy titles might make mine more appealing, ya'know, reinforce that Nostraman sense of drama.

I like Drahgul Vadar and Zarash Drahsul, dark yet noble in some measure; they also don't fall into the trap of being unpronouncable or having too many sylables. Karmansun also works but doesn't seem quite as... sombre somehow, despite where the name comes from. It sounds more like a salamanders or white scars name.

I also concur with Conn about BehindTheName, it is a great name generator, especially since you can choose the source of the name. For night lords, I'd stick with eastern european names, eg Romanian, Hungarian, Tchek etc. They often have sort of dark sounding names, with great Nostraman spelling :)

Looking forward to see what you do with these atramentar and the warband as a whole :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you want him to seem really old, what about a "normal" Terran name (by which I mean a slightly old-timey but still recognizable name)? He's one of the original Night Lords from before they were Night Lords! That won't stop him from turning traitor, of course - I think only a few of the traitor legions actually took the shortcut of "just kill off all the Terrans," and I don't know if the Night Lords were one of them - and having an unassuming name might make him conversely more intimidating. Everyone else needs these crazy names and titles and he's just... Ansel Jedediah or something.

Archived