Audiook "Know no fear" intro theme

stoesl

A bit off topic but how is the Audio book version - voice acting any good?

I figured I'd ask before throwing down 50 bucks for it.

OK, I'll give you my thoughts but I suggest listening to the free audio extract yourself before seeing if this is a problem for you and if no, dive in and enjoy:) I'm that BL fanboy who loves everything and own all the audio, BUT... Gareth Armstrong is my least favorite narrator. He does great as characters, old men, and a variety of accents but there are two things which utterly ruin an audiobook. First, his wails and higher pitched voices are like torture to me. On the same level as (not sure if you'll get this reference, sorry) Skidrow singer Sebastian Bach playing Jesus in JCSuperstar and the sudden shift to high notes wailing is absolutely horrifying and repugnant.

Second, and this got better with later books recorded but this is and Fear to Tread are the biggest offenders, his mic was placed terribly or they didn't realized how moist his voice is. It sounds like someone is wringing a sponge out over the mic as he talks. No hyperbole. It's vexed me for years. It's not as bad when playing on a device but if you are listening on earphones say from your iPhone or whatever it's almost intolerable, how gross and distracting it is. This is before BL moved audio inhouse. I wasn't alone in this reaction, I checked with others. But maybe it won't bug you. Hope not. Just check the audio extract first. Otherwise the book itself is incredible and the music is sweet.

I'm listening to Deliverance Lost again for an interview and this was one of the midway books where the audio quality -to - spit voice is obvious as with earplugs it's not so bad most of the book and I can keep the audio down:)

Thanks for the run down. I'll check out the sample on the BL website - I forgot about those audio clips.

Listening to I am Slaughter at the moment. Now I can't unhear Armstrongs spit voice. smile.png

Oh my gosh I am so sorry. You know, I did consider that, unfortunately it was after I posted this reply:) Deliverance Lost got bad second half I had to go half volume and set the speaker away from me. It's just bad recording, before BL had in-house. Listen to buttloads of audiobooks on Audible and that never happens once...because they record properly.:)

Archived