In Memory of the Abyssal Crusade

CYGNUS

I actually caught a glimpse of your write-up for this particular handful of Fists TDF, but I have elected not to read it until after I've produced my own (just so that I'm not tempted to steal *ahem* BORROW your best ideas); as a note I actually have quite a lot of ideas for ALL the Judged Chapters (and their iterations as Chaotic War-bands), I'm just taking a long time to post them because (a) My brain works faster than my fingers (b) thirty Chapters makes for a whole lot of Astartes! laugh.png

Thank You very kindly for your interest, by the way, and please know that I'm always glad to learn that others share my interest in the victims of the Abyssal Crusade.

I actually caught a glimpse of your write-up for this particular handful of Fists TDF, but I have elected not to read it until after I've produced my own (just so that I'm not tempted to steal *ahem* BORROW your best ideas); as a note I actually have quite a lot of ideas for ALL the Judged Chapters (and their iterations as Chaotic War-bands), I'm just taking a long time to post them because (a) My brain works faster than my fingers (cool.png thirty Chapters makes for a whole lot of Astartes! laugh.png

Thank You very kindly for your interest, by the way, and please know that I'm always glad to learn that others share my interest in the victims of the Abyssal Crusade.

Fair enough. I wonder what you'll come up with. smile.png

Well for a start they're a Brotherhood trained by their first Master to be his Revenge upon the Daemon that shattered the Chapter into which he was inducted (they were, in fact, named for the Venerable Dreadnaught who held the Daemon at bay while the last survivors escaped from their doomed Homeworld).

Also they're not Imperial Fists successors (I actually rolled on Chapter Creation Tables to provide the basic details because I wanted to add a certain element of unpredictability to help keep things Interesting - and this is exactly the sort of result I was hoping for!).biggrin.png

Well, the Crusaders of Dorn are done AT LAST, so that means THE DOOM LEGION are next! (Yes, there will be MANY allusions to Doctor Doom and just as many shout-outs to the Legion of Doom as I can cast in a suitably 40K form).cool.png

DOOM LEGION

The only Chapter with the nerve to commit less than the entirety of its forces to the Abyssal Crusade and a Brotherhood that found the fathoms-deep reserves of conviction required to not only prove their Loyalty beyond Doubt but maintain it, even in the teeth of Saint Basillius and under the shadow of his Traitorous Legacy; that the Chapter has very seldom escaped the intrusive watchfulness of the Inquisition from the hour it was learned that the Abyssal Crusade had not only failed but fallen under the sway of the Ruinous Powers is less surprising than the fact that The Doom Legion yet maintains its vigil without having suffering the Wrath of the Inquisition in full.

The roots of the Chapter's refusal to pledge it's fullest muster to the Abyssal Crusade are simple enough to sum up; the Doom Legion refused to allow the Millennium-long labours required of their forebears (in the wake of a sequence of confrontations with the Night Lords that must rank as amongst the more horrifying in the History of the Long War, culminating in a battle so brutal that it appears to have spontaneously summoned a Daemon of Khorne into the Material World - the Night Lords, having intended to summon a Daemon of another Ruinous Power, were just as surprised as their Loyalist opponents) to be rendered moot by the actions of Cruel Fate and an outstandingly sanctimonious prelate.

Had it not been for the fact that the Chapter's Home territories (far into Ultima Segmentum and distant from the 'hinterlands' of the Segmentum Solar) went completely untouched by Warp Storm Dionys - though the Chapter Fleet, speeding towards the Infernal Stars in a bid to reinforce Imperial Formations seeking to curtail the hideous eruptions of Cosmic Phenomena, Warp Insanity and Human Madness before they could consume that region (the haunt of Tech-priests, Rogue Traders and other wandering spirits by virtue of the haunting beauty and peculiar phenomena in which the region abounds), was unquestionably lashed with the tendrils of that accursed Disaster - the Chapter's steadfast refusal to believe (as far too many of the Judged were persuaded or inclined to) that, by dint of their corruption, the only Glory to which they could possibly aspire was the martyr's crown might well have ensured their downfall.

As it was, even pleading the incorrupt world that was their Home, their duty to defend the Elusian Maze and the prestige that was theirs as the latest Chapter to command The Faithful's Deliverance the Doom Legion was obliged to dispatch over 600 Astartes (the greatest part of their Chapter) into the Eye of Terror, embarked upon a course that swiftly twisted from Martyrdom to Damnation: to say that the Chapter had good reason to be thankful for its foresight would be putting things far, far too mildly.

VECTORS OF POX

Years have passed not only into centuries but into Millennia since survivors of those six companies driven into the Eye of Terror from the ranks of the Doom Legion chose Damnation over Death; Conquest and Exploitation have ever been their calling-cards, a quest for their own advantage that has carried them across the Galaxy, cost the Imperium dearly and profited the War-Band to no small degree - as one Rival put it (shortly before contracting an incurable case of SUDDEN DEATH) the Vectors of Pox "Have won everything save the love of the Dark Gods by their deeds" - it remains a point of no little humiliation to the Vectors of Pox and a subject of much informed curiosity to onlookers that, despite their avowed veneration of Nurgle, not one of the Warband has received his gifts (and been obliged to resort to mundane Virus Weapons, along with other more esoteric toxins as a result).

Given that the Vectors of Pox have achieved much in the course of their Traitor Crusade (not least the corruption of Chalice Sector, achieved in part through the poisoning of key Imperial assets, in part through straightforward Conquest and almost entirely through the verminous calculations of Vulnus Tormentor, former Apothecary turned Heretek & Plague upon the Imperium*), but many suspect that they will never truly know the Favour of Nurgle until they complete the Corruption of their Chapter begun with the Abyssal Crusade by shattering the Loyalist Doom Legion; it is a confrontation most suspect has been long postponed - although it cannot be known whether this is out of a calculated cruelty (seeking to inflict shame ad infinitum without offering any hope of a merciful death) or in Hopes that the Suspicions of the Doom Legion inspired through hatred of the Vectors of Pox will reduce the Loyalist Chapter to such desperate straights that it will embrace Damnation instead of Destruction.

*As well as The Orks, who passionately loathe him for his near-miraculous achievements in actually forcing them to suffer sickness - while he has to date only been able to plague them with something approximating a head cold (and only a small percentage of green-skins at that), ORKS DON'T GET SICK and find being obliged to suffer such Indignities an intolerable affront (with the inevitable result that they hunt the Vector of Pox the way a hound dog hunts a cat dipped in bacon): rumours that the Vector of Pox have purchased favours with the most Radical elements of the Inquisition as a result of such Experimentations abound.  

Perhaps even some lingering loyalty to the Chapter that had bred them and survived them inspires the strange reluctance of the Vector to afflict the Doom Legion; yet whatever the Truth, these Traitors and their Loyalist counter-parts draw nigh unto one another - the Vectors of Pox have been offered Glory at the side of Huron Blackheart that they have never yet secured and have wormed their way into Ultima Segmentum so that they may afflict, infect and exploit those unfortunate Loyalists who find themselves in their Path - and the Doom Legion have sworn a mighty oath to confront them at long last and purge them from the Galaxy.

The Hour of their duel draws nigh and not only the reputation, but the true Legacy of the Doom Legion hangs upon he to whom the Victory goes. 

FISTS OF OLCHIS

A Chapter created from the sole survivor of a dismembered progenitor that first accursed with all the infirmities of Old Age and then slaughtered by the Curse of their Nemesis, in payment of an Ancient Grudge; having escaped the destruction of his Chapter only through the self-sacrifice of his brethren, he would dedicate himself to avenging the half-remembered Brothers who had been his saviours and would always be his inspiration.

Having distinguished himself for centuries in the service of the Imperium, he was granted the privilege of becoming first Mentor and then Master to a Chapter of the latest Founding - though it took him a long lifetime, even by the measure of a Space Marine, it was his training and his cunning in the craft of War that allowed his newborn Chapter to face and vanquish the Enemy that had so utterly devoured their Ancestors.

It was a Good Start, even if it was also the Climax of much that had gone before.

PERDITAS (M37)

I am, of course, planning to expand upon this article - but even nerds desperate to prove themselves in the Writing Game need to sleep sometimes!laugh.png

This is, indeed, a somewhat Pathetic Place Holder but I'm wrestling with my awkward self-confidence and trying to drag it to the fore; at the moment we're both Losing, but I plan to rein in this particular Dark Horse sooner than later.

Until then please don't laugh TOO loudly.cool.png

ALTAR BRETHREN - Founded M33

ARGENT HAMMERS - Founded M32

BLADES ETERNAL - Founded M34

BRONZE GORGONS - Founded M35

BROTHERS OF THE ANVIL - Founded M35

CHORUS OF ELTAIN - Founded M35

CLERICS OF STEEL - Founded M35

CRUSADERS OF DORN - Founded M32

DOOM LEGION - Founded M36

FISTS OF OLCHIS - Founded M36

GRAVEN FISTS - Founded M35