Old stormtrooper models

snazzyninja

I've been looking on ebay for the old metal stormtrooper models (the ones before the karskin came out) and have seen some NIB squads going for around the £45 mark and I was just wandering if its worth paying for them brand new still or whether I should just buy some old painted ones and strip them down.

The only reason I'm asking is the models are fantastic and I don't know how much detail painted ones would retain after being stripped down? I don't really mind paying £45 for un opened box but wouldn't mind saving some pennies if there wont be much difference between the 2 after stripping painted ones?

how many are you after? I dug out a squad of 8 last night I had from years ago that im not going to be using which you could have? A few of the antenna's on the backpacks are a bit bent and they will need stripping but other that that they are in good nick smile.png

its actually 7, just remembered the melta gunner is just an old metal cadian one..

how many are you after? I dug out a squad of 8 last night I had from years ago that im not going to be using which you could have? A few of the antenna's on the backpacks are a bit bent and they will need stripping but other that that they are in good nick smile.png

its actually 7, just remembered the melta gunner is just an old metal cadian one..

Im sure shipping to South Africa will be really expensive, but I will be in the UK in April.

Maybe I could take them off ur hands then?

I have a Militarum Tempestus platoon's worth of Kasrkin, that are pretty amazing, even though I had to scrounge backpacks for about a third of them from my scion bits bin. As for paint stripper, as elmo said acetone will work on metal, just remember to remove the bases or they'll melt. Other than that, Simple Green, Purple Power, or some citrus based degreasers will do it. I like purple power because it's plastic and resin safe.

Yes, there are many excellent stripping agents. Ironfist mentioned Simple Green.  I've been using Simple Green on my plastics and metals for 17 years.  Iove it!  Just be sure to cut it with water (at least a 1:1 ratio) because (even though it's completely non toxic) it's strong stuff.  It looks like there is a South Africa distributor in Capetown, according to this website:  http://simplegreen.com/global-partners/

Have fun with the stormies!

Hmmm...I love me some of the old astronaut stormtroopers...but I love the kasrkin more!  I even have a very small number of the old metal bereted ones, before the astronauts...the sergeants make great platoon commanders with their hellpistols and power swords (the power cord for the pistol looks like a lanyard, so it doesn't even offend WYSIWYG)

I love the idea of an ultrasonic cleaner for stripping metal models...gonna try that, I have scores of secondhand cadians who need integration into my forces

Having used dettol and simple green I'd go for dettol hands down. Paint literally falls off minimal scrubbing required! If you're gonna use it with a US bath then I imagine no scrubbing required at all.

I've left plastic and metal minis in dettol baths for months and nothing bad has happened to them.

Ultrasonic cleaners are the way to go. Just make sure you buy one big enough. Mine is a 2ltr volume one and will fit a devilfish but not quite fully immerse a landraider.

There's also this for an option. Sometimes chemical stripping agents will leave patches of paint untouched, even with hours of scrubbing (I know from experience, not so much with metal models, but definitely with resin and plastic ones).

I plan on getting one, at some point, since it has more uses than just for models.

If you do use dettol you can water it down a bit so it goes cloudy.

You must wear gloves though. I didnt the first time i uaed it and it dried out my hands and made them flakey for days.

It does work really well though

If you do use dettol you can water it down a bit so it goes cloudy.

You must wear gloves though. I didnt the first time i uaed it and it dried out my hands and made them flakey for days.

It does work really well though

I don't bother with gloves, I just use moisturiser afterwards. It will depend on the individual how they react to something like Dettol - I have really sensitive skin, I get irritated by a lot of things but Dettol doesn't bother me anymore than hot water. On the other hand, latex gloves really irritate me, I end up all itchy and sometimes with a rash.

Archived