Your favourite allies for Guard.

Truesight

A thread for sharing your favourite allies to enhance your guard with.

For me my blobs have found immense value in the librarius conclave with white scars librarians.  Each blob gets And they shall know no fear, hit and run, and a Leadership 10 psyker with an axe.  On top of that one takes hunters eye and gives the whole blob ignores cover.

Another old favourite is an Ordo Hereticus inquisitor with 3 Servo skulls.  Stops scout and infiltrate shenanigans, reduces my artilleries scatter, and gives leadership 10 stubborn.  For 34 points he can't be beat. 

How about you?

I usually run my Guard as is, otherwise adding some Inquisition is always great but arguably that's a great thing about the Inquisition rather than anything else! Sisters make for excellent allies giving you Marine capabilities and more for a lower price. Fluffy too as well as looking great on the table top :D

However my allies are only ever functionally independent, that is no plots, tricks or anything else. They're there because I want them rather than some combination trick.

I like to ally my guard with Imperial Knights, Inquisition, Assassins, Space Wolves, and wait for it... Other guard lists...

Armored Battlegroup, or Death Korps of Krieg, Militarum Tempestus, and Elysian drop troops.

Space Wolves bring some legit hurt in CC, and have access to cheap tanks and lots of lascannons. Death Korps have WS4, and Elysians bring all the flyers.

Knight paladins are pretty boss, given that they do what a squadron of LRBT's can plus not as vulnerable to melee.

I haven't run allies with my guard in years...if ever.  However, that's because there's never been anything I needed done that they couldn't do themselves.  That's no longer true.  I'm now including a knight warden.  That's mainly a counter to enemy superheavies and gargantuans, if I'm not staring down an enemy knight, he's actually not that helpful to my playstyle...hence the avenger and stormspear.  decent volume of fire with good AP, equally capable of killing marines or transports.  At least he's good for something if his reaper isn't needed.  I'm also painting up a culexus.  I had started on a unit of five strikes to go with a GKL, but that's really just daemon spam insurance, not so helpful against other psychic cheese like invisibility.  Culexus is really good at unmasking the invisistar for devastating dakka...he's slightly less effective against summoning spam when there's more than one summoner, but if it's just the one, he can probably just kill the guy and then soak up some fire.  I like the idea of putting him in a valkyrie for maximum mobility, but I'll have to playtest that against infiltration...is mobility and survivability better than turn one null zone?

I'm trying to ally in MTs a bit more currently have a list together utilizing them

Elites as obsec troops is always nice

Looking forward to trying it out once I get my emperors wrath list complete (or at least assembled )

My squat guardsmen often ally with a small detachment of marines, 5 marines in a pod, a librarian joining a blob and then stern guard or vanguard in a stormraven to deal with particularly nasty units. I have plans to use the ravenguard formation of a stormraven, dread and stern guard to hunt MC's.

And something I haven't yet tried is a little guard army with ravenwing for mobility and jink shenanigans.

I really hate bringing the cheese, because I want the list to be fun to play, and fun for my opponent to play against. The thing about allies is that they should complement your guard, not overshadow them.

Black Templars bring nice assault and grav to the mix, and can do it cheaper than most. They synergize very well.

I tend to disagree, seeing as to really take advantage of the BT chapter tactics you can't really use any of the formations from the Gladius strike force to their fullest. I can deep strike a unit of 10 assault terminators turn 1 that manipulate reserve rolls, and have cyclone missile launchers, to do some damage turn 1 from cover. I could even do 2 units of 5, for the same cost. No need for an HQ choice. I could do 1 unit of 5 for cheaper. BT don't do it cheaper, but they do have the benefit of providing more bodies for that cost.

Now AD to AD, wolves prove a tad cheaper (7 points difference). However it jumps significantly when you add a relic, which will give the unit furious charge, and the bearer rage. Just to math that out, the contents of the LRC: SW do 65 S5 attacks on the charge, while the BT do 48. Now the Crusader Squad does have better WS than the blood claws, but it hardly matters with that many attacks. Also the Blood Claws are getting Fearless, 6+FNP, and Preferred Enemy (unit type), because the AD is a Wolf Priest, 15 blood claws and a LRC.  Not saying BT isn't a viable CC ally, just that Space wolves have more options and can generally do it better than any other space marine army, purely on maths alone.

Either way you're looking a a solid 500pt+ chunk of your army.

Voidclaws come in at a measly 240pts, base.

However, I'm biased, since I play SW not BT, so I use what I have. But if you're looking for an ally, SW are a pretty fluffy guard ally, since SW actually understand that the Guard have the Biggest, Brassest, Balls in the Imperium, and respect them for it.

Inquisition provides some pretty good allies, as well. An inquisitor's warband can be shooty, or choppy depending on what you need. Mostly for a guard army the ally needs to be choppy, DCA and Crusaders do a darn good job. Not to mention you can also sneak a couple small units of psykers in for cheap and take advantage of the Psychic phase. You could just use inquisitors to add some punch to your squads if you want. A couple Ordo Malleus inquisitors in TDA with Psycannons are a pretty good tanky character option for most guard units.

All depends on what you're after.

I don't like to use Allies, but the Inquisitor with Servoskulls is sooooo cheap and soooo good, you can't ignore it. Give her some Rad and Psychotropic grenades and join a huge unit of  Conscripts, and you have a hell of a unit!

Archived