Pronunciation (for fun)

veterannoob

I seem to recall being told that the last consonant is silent in French, and so I just immediately assumed a silent 'T.'

Which I ignore in Guilliman, I guess? No excuses, I'm just a weirdo. :lol:

The final 't' would be silent if it was the last letter, but the following 'e' tells you to pronounce it.

If defaulting to Latin, do you opt for Classical ('c' and 'g' always hard, 'v' as 'w') or Church ('c' and 'g' soft before 'e' or 'I', 'v' as 'v') pronunciation?

This one might be less ambiguous linguistically, but how are the apostrophes in certain names handled? I've always treated them like a pause in a word, so Vulkan He'stan is "heh- stan" rather than "hestan" and Pellas Mir'san as "Meer-San". Correct?

And regarding double-A worlds, I thought of Istvaan as "Ist-varn" but Baal as "Bayul" and Hamath Kraatos as "Kray-toss", which I'm aware is inconsistent.

This one might be less ambiguous linguistically, but how are the apostrophes in certain names handled? I've always treated them like a pause in a word, so Vulkan He'stan is "heh- stan" rather than "hestan" and Pellas Mir'san as "Meer-San". Correct?

And regarding double-A worlds, I thought of Istvaan as "Ist-varn" but Baal as "Bayul" and Hamath Kraatos as "Kray-toss", which I'm aware is inconsistent.

If the apostrophes have any phonological value, as opposed to being merely decorative, I'd assume they act as glottal stops, i.e. in the manner some accents "swallow" 't's (e.g. "Glo'al stop").

If the apostrophes have any phonological value, as opposed to being merely decorative, I'd assume they act as glottal stops, i.e. in the manner some accents "swallow" 't's (e.g. "Glo'al stop").

From experience I agree with this. Like Nes't or N'Kari and so on. Of course the audio can always be read separate ways. I'm glad this post has ben interesting for many and I've enjoyed the discussion so far. But now, I have more new Bl audio so back in the thick of it I go:)

• 2 weeks later...

While maybe not a pronunciation thing, I am constantly amazed at the swathes of people who call the SICARAN tank a SICARIAN tank.

Drives me mad!

Yeah, but then i quite often see people calling our favourite plastic frames "spruces" and have the same reaction!

Yeah, but then i quite often see people calling our favourite plastic frames "spruces" and have the same reaction!

I've seen them called "sprews", "spruces", "sprouse" and "sprunes". Sometimes it feels a bit petty to correct them... :lol:

Archived