[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

Are you running out of slots? Regular predators are more cost efficient when chewing through hull points of AV13 or less, especially with tank Hunter, while AV14 will have ceramite and possibly flare shields for -2 S to the template. For killing dudes, the plasma is more effective. If I was taking 3 predators, they would have 3 stock cannons and 9 assault cannons. Dakkadakkadakka!

I guess it's good Blood Angels can't max abuse Armoured Breakthrough due to the "need more Astartes than tanks" rule, even though they are the only ones who keep their hands on those supercharged engines after the Heresy and Scouring and they do predators better than anyone.

Edited by Terminus

Are you running out of slots? Regular predators are more cost efficient when chewing through hull points of AV13 or less, especially with tank Hunter, while AV14 will have ceramite and possibly flare shields for -2 S to the template. For killing dudes, the plasma is more effective. If I was taking 3 predators, they would have 3 stock cannons and 9 assault cannons. Dakkadakkadakka!

I guess it's good Blood Angels can't max abuse Armoured Breakthrough due to the "need more Astartes than tanks" rule, even though they are the only ones who keep their hands on those supercharged engines after the Heresy and Scouring and they do predators better than anyone.

Why keep a regular cannon when you can take a twinlinked assault cannon instead? :D

Why keep a regular cannon when you can take a twinlinked assault cannon instead? :D

Basically mo dakka?

Why keep a regular cannon when you can take a twinlinked assault cannon instead? :biggrin.:

Basically because for some reason I was thinking the predator cannon was S8, and the other reason was because from memory I thought you had to pay to upgrade to a flamestorm cannon so it was costing you points. I was all like "4 S8 at 48" is way better than 4 TL S6 rending at 24", especially at 15 points cheaper!"  Now given that the cost is the same and the performance almost identical (although I still think the predator cannon is better if only due to range), if you have those sweet TL Baal turrets, definitely use them. :D

Night Raptors are turd-buckets, but I get your meaning. 15 World Eaters Inductii have 75 attacks at S6 AP4 for example.

Somewhat on this topic, I was recently parsing all the Legions for combat potential, and while World Eaters are the undisputed unified world heavy-weight champions, Blood Angels are a surprisingly serious contender given their rookie status.  With some nice unique units, characters, and Sanguinius(!), they may be able to give the top dogs a decent fight.

Also a couple of Veteran builds:

5 Machine Killers Veterans, melta-gun, 3x combi-meltas, Sgt with artificer, power fist, inferno pistol, Rhino with multi-melta and dozer. 240 points. Can stay in rhino and shoot melta-gun and pistol out of the hatch (at 6" you'll only get the melta bonus on the gun but both will be effective S9 AP1 shots), or pile out for 5 shots after which the combi-weapon guys become ablative wounds for the Sgt and Melta-gunner, who can continue hunting vehicles. Best in Armoured Breakthrough to make the Rhino fast and for Predators to hide behind while staying fully mobile.

8 Marksmen Veterans, heavy flamer, 4x combi-flamers, 2x power weapons, Sgt with artificer, power fist, inferno pistol. - 251 points

+ Apothecary + Independent Character or 9th veteran

Will deal a huge pile of wounds to just about everything, from cultist swarms to monstrous creatures to elite combat units (although the last is more of kamikaze approach).  Ideal transport is drop pod or dreadclaw, although an outflanking Rhino can be used in a pinch.  Pretty strong alpha with 5 rending templates, followed by a charge with 3 attacks each swinging with S5+ power swords or S6+ axes. Combi-flamers become ablative FNP wounds after using up their payload, leaving 2 templates for future turns.  The dreadclaw's new inertial guidance really pays off here being able to land close to a unit and torch them with its own heat blast before disgorging its lethal cargo. Best in Day of Revelations, where they also get +1I on the charge and their shooting attacks are pinning on the turn they Deep Strike in.

Finally, I know everyone is fixated on Baal predators, but for something completely different consider the following comparison. 

2x Baal Predators with pintle assault cannons- 240 points

vs.

5x Attack Bikes with assault cannons - 225 points

15 points cheaper for 5 assault cannons vs. 8, can always move 12" and fire, 10 T5 wounds, 20 S5+ attacks on the charge, Legiones Astartes, Fast Attack rather than Heavy Support. For anything except Armoured Breakthrough where they are fast and scoring Troops (but then can't take a turret assault cannon), I would consider the Bikes before the Predators.

Edited by Terminus

You could always tool up a couple with multi meltas, and have the assault cannons for additional glances.

My only bugbear is they are 3+ save, but the can jink, so that's a bonus, if you feel they really need to!

I'm getting to the point now that end of the month in going to buy a malc and convert it into an assault cannon boat.

Sure you can stay at 25", but the idea is ramming those assault cannons down their throat as dakka away!

A Baalcador, if you will

How did I not see this before?!

You have christened the new BA ride the baalcador. You also get +2 heresy points, few more and you get your very own talking Horus toy with sayings like 'death to the false emperor' and 'daddy I want to sit on the throne'

Edited by Theredknight

I think Chargers have a bit of an edge over the flamers, given their range and better strength. But on the other hand, ten flamers is going to hurt anything it touches, and there's practically no way you'll ever get charged. Hmmm, decisions decisions.

Either way, they'll probably not stick around very long. Expect them to die very quickly.

Both are fine and both will do a number on whatever it touches. If I have to CHOO(M)SE though well, Volkite because it's unique to the setting.

Being able to take an additional ccw for them is also great for us BA with out easy wounding.

I think its better to think of flamers like a defensive weapon instead of an offensive one.

You're probably never going to practically get all the flamer templates arraigned usefully on an enemy squad. However, used as a charge deterrent, you can either deny a pretty big section to your opponent or get 10d3 hits. Win win.