[HH1.0] Blood Angels Tactica - Assault Cannons For Days

The Unseen

Fine fine I'll stop being doom and gloom! :P

So... xiphon, worth using?

Yes.

Because my gold it'll look amazing in red, white, black and gold!

Otherwise... Eh. It'll KO any other flyer and light to medium ground tanks. Then die if something looks at it I suppose.

If it gets the drop on other flyers, theyre pretty much dead.

It has 2 TL Lascannons and a 2 shot S8 ap2 missile launcher so it can do some decent potshot damage to infantry and vehicles as needed.

Edited by Slipstreams

The Xiphon and Deredeo usually end up costing the same however a few things to consider:

• One occupies a pretty hotly contested slot
  • One fulfils the requirements of the Day Of Revelations RoW
  • Both provide long range firepower though one has more target flexibility and volume but the other had mobility on its side

And a bunch of other stuff.

When we get our units and I jump over to the loyalists in red I think I'll get a Xiphon, just for rule of cool.

Hoping Sanguinius will have some sort of turn one reserves for flyers and skimmers like a light version of Perturabos.

I dunno, every time I look at a Xiphon I always think "yeah... but a Primaris can do all that and have tank hunter."

:/

But the Primaris is a one-hit wonder. Once all its missiles are gone its just a Single Twin-Linked Lascannon.

At their Cheapest, its a 10 point difference:

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (210pts) [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

Xiphon Interceptor (220pts) [Chaff Launcher, Ground-tracking Auguries]

With the Primaris Front-Loading all its damage into the 4 Missiles it fires off on Arrival.

What the Xiphon has to its advantage is speed which will only truly come into play on Larger Tables.

Both have more or less the same level of Resilience with the Xiphon winning out a bit due to Agile giving it +1 Jink and Chaff giving it a 4++ vs Missiles.

But we've known this for a while; if you're in a Flyer Heavy Meta, the Xiphon is probably a stronger choice or if you play Apoc Games on the Regular and can make use of its speed.

Otherwise, the Damage Potential of the Primaris being higher will probably do more for you.

I dunno, every time I look at a Xiphon I always think "yeah... but a Primaris can do all that and have tank hunter."

:/

This. The Xiphon needs a few boosts in power. Firstly would be to allow it to ignore Jink (helpful with White Scars), and secondly would be to give it Vector Dancer, and possibly even Interceptor, and an out of turn pivot. Giving it either Vector Dancer OR an out of turn pivot and would let it work in a similar manner to the Interceptor Drones on the Tau Bomber (oddly, a better fighter than the Fighter was, and the Fighter being a better bomber) and give it a definite use to take out Flyers/Pods etc and not just be a choice taken to not be a Primaris which can do its current job better for not much more.

Typically I can see the arguement for a Primaris being a one-shot wonder, but honestly how many turns are you going to have it on the board? Most of the time, flyers have 3 or 4 turns to be useful in a 6 turn game.

When you bring a Kraken-Primaris, you're really paying to blow your opponent's biggest armored vehicle into its compnent atoms. Anything past that is really kinda a bonus. So, for 10 points more than a Xiphon, you can get ground tracking, tank Hunter, 2 pair of Kraken missiles and a twin auto cannon. That way even after the first turn missile dump, you can effectively harass light armor and other flyers which is what the Xiphon is doing from the onset.

Having that "panic" button of four Kraken is easily worth ten points.

ok so ideas on a postcard:

My list is basically

3 podding cortus (2 with grav guns, one dual plasma)

1 podding levi (load out undecided)

3 15 man assault squads w power weapons

Damocles

Praetor

Libby

Fire raptor

Javelin.

Unsure what to arm the leviathan up with this list should be ok? Using the revalation row. They are all deep striking by the way with the Damocles should help!

For the Levi, Melta & Drill might be the best option; seems like outside of the Gravnaughts that you're lacking some anti heavy armor, y'know?

Yeah, I know, I was seeing if something else works, a complete ds army.

Mayhaps a xiphon or lightning that can come in as well?

Il go to fw tomorrow and change up my arms!

I'm basically building and buying up to a 3k list so, wouldbt you say between all the naughty should delete a chunk of armour?

Having a Lightning in place of 3 Javelins would help; if you're only taking a single Javelin, I'd rethink that. Either take a Squadron for more firepower or take something else. A single one wont help much.

For Levi Arms, just take them all and magnetize and swap out as you feel; Melta & Drill might not always be the best loadout.

I'd maybe have 3 Grav Cortus' as a backup though. But thats just me.

Yeah, I will def use 2 as gravs, and magnetise the third to maybe be dual plas or grav to suit.

I did have 2ass cannon preds in there, so there is points for a lightning in there with shuffling. You'd say they were better than the xiphon?

I will keep these arms then, il just get more (or another Levi!) to suit instead tomo.

Yeah, a Primaris is more likely to do damage with its front loaded arsenal than a Xiphon as has been previously stated.

The Preds should help out, definitely but theyre main role will be anti-infantry since getting rends to damage AV13+ isnt the most reliable unless in pinch of with volume of fire.

The Primary Concern though, will be getting the most use out of those Assault Marines.

Well I think i mentioned earlier, to use the dread pods as a bit of a screen, il have to check the rule to see if it grants shrouded to units being shot at over/though? That would add to the row save too.

Was even thinking of having a unit of melta bomb assault marines.

I might try baals with the other row, but they would seem out of place in the list. I think I'm going to use them as a backup screen for the Damocles, like an advance scouting unit.

how do we think this might fare? I have a game tuesday which will be 2k points.

Blood Angels using Day of Revelations.

Praetor   185  

jump pack    

blade of perdition    

iron halo    

digital weapons    

melta bombs  

Centurion   150  

primus medicae    

jump pack    

blade of perdition    

artificer armour    

refractor field    

melta bombs  

Apothecarion detachment  55  

artificer armour  

Cortus Contemptor  150  

drop pod  

Assault squad 10 marines 323  

artificer armour    

power sword    

melta bombs    

combat shield  

Assault squad 10 marines 293  

artificer armour    

power sword    

combat shield    

power axe    

power sword  

tactical squad 19 marines 313  

artificer armour    

power axe    

melta bomb sergeant    

nuncia vox    

ccws  

Storm eagle   280  

lascannons    

armoured ceramite    

extra armour  

Fire Raptor   250  

reaper autocannons    

armoured ceramite    

hellstrike missiles  

Total: 1999

Note I've done the above based on what I currently have (only have 1 drop pod model, don't have any land speeders or javelines etc)

It obviously has issues in terms of armour, and doesnt really have much that is durable, those assault marines (and the jump packs on characters for that matter) are soooo expensive.

Edited by Blindhamster

I'll second the removal of AC from the Flyers. Also, don't bother buying Hellstrike missiles for the Fire Raptor - they're Ordnance weapons. And Extra Armour on the Storm Eagle should be the first thing to go if you need points.

What does your Cortus have? Just a pair of DCCW's? I like your thinking! Using the Dreadpod Shrouded effect to boost the Assault Squads 5+ cover save is a solid plan, but you're going to need more Dreads.

You said you built the list based on what you own. What do you have exactly?