Shattered Legions - The Way Forward

Frostmourne

Hmmm... I was really excited to do a post Istavaan shattered legion force with raven guard and and such, but the loyalist ROW is kinda lame. Right? In some ways the hunter killer seems more appropriate for Raven guard, and they can't even use it. 

Weird.

Gorgon and Phoenix... erk... ackk... dogs & cats sleeping together, MASS HYSTERIA! tongue.png

Actually, I am willing to go the standard Shattered Legions route.

Iron Hands & Salamanders, the Hammer & the Forge = Autek Mor & Cassian Dracos!

Gorgon & Firedrakes! I have some AoS upgrade packs that will make nice new shields for the Firedrakes.

Another fun loyalist idea would be based around all the Knight based legions taking a vow to hunt down the traitor heretics.  I imagine three Praetors, one from Emperors' Children (representing the Palatine Blades), one from Imperial Fists (representing the Templars), and one from the Dark Angels (they are bound to have some knightly order unit).

I thought that there would be a good knightly ROW between these 3 legions but nothing that I see.  I think that Pride of the Legion would probably work best.

Of course they were, just not so much around my neck of the woods, and certainly not those who only played 30K. And even the power lists didn't crack fluff, but I'm sure we'll see plenty of Red Butchers and Gal Vorbak backed up by Invictarii melee lists and whatnot.

I'm tempted to wed together the fluff from Betrayer (in which we find that Angron believes that he truly despises tyrants) with the fluff from Book 3 in which the Imperium is glad that Corax didn't find out they just enslaved a population Corax liberated, to produce a loyalist world eater + raven guard force lead by one of Corax's earliest tunnel fighting compatriots alongside a company of World Eaters who believe they actually follow Angron's initial line rather than the insane butcher he's become.

Will it be any good on the table? Who knows, who cares!

Shattered Legion: After Isstvan

I thought the "Veritas Ferrum" and "Damnation of Pythos" stories would be a nice fluffy Iron Hands/Salamanders/Raven Guard force... until I got to the end of the book wallbash.gif

I still have hope for using "Riven" and "Keys of Hel".

cyber-adapted and reanimated Salamanders & Raven Guard with Crius's Iron Hands

Exactly!

This is how I feel about it too, I've always fielded forces that I enjoy creating and that seem like something that might find itself as a fighting force in the 40k/30k world. 

However, power gaming really can reduce the enjoyment factor of the game, and I'm concerned about this. I was hoping to find greener fields in 30k, ones that had reduced power gaming, but this might open up lots of possibilities for it. What do we think the real risk factor for this is? 

Exactly!

This is how I feel about it too, I've always fielded forces that I enjoy creating and that seem like something that might find itself as a fighting force in the 40k/30k world. 

However, power gaming really can reduce the enjoyment factor of the game, and I'm concerned about this. I was hoping to find greener fields in 30k, ones that had reduced power gaming, but this might open up lots of possibilities for it. What do we think the real risk factor for this is? 

Pretty likely to see new flavors of cheese, in addition to the non-Shattered varieties people were slinging now and then beforehand.

Exactly!

Pretty likely to see new flavors of cheese, in addition to the non-Shattered varieties people were slinging now and then beforehand.

TBH I think this debate, as old as it is in gaming, still basically comes to the same conclusion: talk to you opponents about what kind of games you want. Or the TO, or store owner, or league organiser, or what have you.

I have 0 interest in playing serious business games with toy soldiers, but if people want to, that's their preference. While some of the players who really do throw hissy fits (or their models) when their dice don't roll right for their 67th hour of practice lists may be beyond your reach, there's usually common ground to be found if you say "hey, I haven't tuned this list, do you mind playing a less cutthroat list yourself?"

Is there ever a more charged phrase than "power gamer"? 

Probably best to drop point B as its pretty judgmental and honestly impossible; the only way to stop people wanting to take strong lists is community shaming, which is absurd when they're not breaking any rules, just fluff

Is there ever a more charged phrase than "power gamer"? 

Probably best to drop point B as its pretty judgmental and honestly impossible; the only way to stop people wanting to take strong lists is community shaming, which is absurd when they're not breaking any rules, just fluff

I'm not sure its a charged statement, and I certainly don't despise (most of) those people. I realize they've built hyper-competitive lists that against similar competition might yield interesting results. I just personally don't want to have to play against them. I love that this hobby gives me the chance to play pickup games with strangers, but in regular 40k this more and more meant playing people bringing two or three knight titans, and I hope this doesn't become the case for 30k as well. 

The problem is that the social context is inherently negative; no one is ever called a power gamer as a compliment. This is doubly true when there's a thread where the op says "how can we avoid any silly power gaming". Theres no way to avoid it as some people like to make strong lists and have superior rules knowledge, while others might actually enjoy playing knight lists. For more competitive players, I saw an excellent idea of politely informing them that your list isn't optimized and asking if they could moderate theirs to compensate. This is way better than shaming for breaking fluff or getting more out of list building and table top results than others

I'm throwing ideas around of a force consisting of Death Guard, Sons of Horus, and Night Lords. They're all chummy with one another to a degree, and I think it could open up some pretty cool conversion possibilities. Probably centered around the theme of Traitors proficient in ship-to-ship battles, most likely hunting down survivors of Isstvan V.

On the subject of power gaming: you need your opponents permission to run shattered legions. So you can't just show up minmaxing and cherry picking.

What events will do I don't know.

Hopefully events will disallow it until the scope becomes a bit cleaner - wait until the dust settles :)

That said the OG Shattered legions could be an awesome force...

Gorgon and Phoenix... erk... ackk... dogs & cats sleeping together, MASS HYSTERIA! tongue.png

More likely than you'd think actually.

The two legions were practically brothers until the heresy, imagine two captains/praetors of the Iron Hands and Emperor's Children, respectively, meeting together after the events of Istvaan V, both mourning for their dead primarchs, The death of Ferrus in a literal sense whereas Fulgrim dies in a metaphorical sense.

Both of them vow together to avenge their primarchs deaths, to slay the thing that killed the brothers Ferrus and Fulgrim, the monster that replaced Fulgrim.

Well, as far as power gaming, Ultramarines seem like a great secondary legion since they grant the whole shebang Interlocking Tactics while losing their usual drawbacks. A consul of your choice opens up Locutarii and Suzerain, which are both amazing.

Archived