How Does One Become An Inquisitor...

Julgolax

...if no one truly has moral purity in a grimdark galaxy at war? What exactly are the standards to become an Inquisitor? I mean, they aren't perfect clones of Garro as much as that would be helpful. I've always been interested in the Inquisition but there's such ambiguous lore on their individual origins.

I mean, in my mind it's like Dragon Age Inquisition or Fable, where you have to make choices, make allies and at times, do evil for the common good or, just plain do evil. Each of these stories however alway start with relatively the same person, a young character with a touch of destiny about them training in a specific area of combat and then expanding into the wider world and learning dark and disturbing secrets.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

It usually ends up that people become inquisitors if they bump into other inquisitors who find a use for them. Over time as the person learns more and more about the life on an inquisitor then they'll be trusted more and then become and acolyte. Once that's happened it's a matter of time until either the mentor inquisitor is killed in action and the acolyte takes his/her place or they earn enough recognition to have several inquisitors agree that the acolyte should be an inquisitor themselves.

There are no precise standards to become an inquisitor, because there is no centralized body that deals with recruitment, rather, individual inquisitors have the power to make new inquisitors at their own discretion. It will be up to each individual inquisitor to decide what the standards are before giving someone the rosette. So there is no consistent criteria as each inquisitor will have his own. It's all a big decentralized system of individual inquisitors who police each other and themselves. Very complex and convoluted, which is why the lore is so ambiguous. This leads to lots of different inquisitors some more worthy than others.

Page 26 of the Inquisition codex gives a pretty detailed explanation elaborating on what I've summarized above.

One thing I would add is that one doesn't become an Inquisitor until they're well advanced in their "career" ... so with your Dragon Age example, one would only become an inquisitor once well down one of those decision paths, and would not start out as one.

It usually ends up that people become inquisitors if they bump into other inquisitors who find a use for them.

I wouldn't say usually. Some Inquisitors use this method, whereas other actively pursue potential future inquisitors, seeking such people out from the ranks of other Imperial organizations. But I agree that the potential inquisitors will spend many years learning from an actual inquisitor before becoming one themselves.

Yeah fair enough, perhaps I should of been a bit clearer in that the warbands that inquisitors' form come from a mix of people that he/she have seeked out due to the potential they have or a skill set that while not may suited to being an inquisitor, is still useful.

By stabbing another inquisitor in back.

In all seriousness it's much like recruiting for marines, there is no hard and fast rule. Any human who shows talent could potentially become one. I'm sure some of the non-marines who end up aiding the Deathwatch become Inquisitors in time, assuming they survive.

Other options: brutally murdering an Inquisitor and seizing his/her rosette, or even forging a rosette. About the only real requirement is inside knowledge of and probably involvement with the Inquisition.

Yeah that could happen but it would be very rare I'd think. It seems to me that inquisitors would put a priority on keeping forged rosettes out of the Imperium and likewise stolen/seized rosettes. Inquisitors whole job is investigation and I'm sure they look into the circumstances of the death of all their brethren to ensure this doesn't happen. I'd expect someone who acquired his rosette in such a fashion to be constantly on the run and eventually dealt with. Could make for a cool themed radical inquisitor fluff though.

Other options: brutally murdering an Inquisitor and seizing his/her rosette, or even forging a rosette. About the only real requirement is inside knowledge of and probably involvement with the Inquisition.

Yeah that could happen but it would be very rare I'd think. It seems to me that inquisitors would put a priority on keeping forged rosettes out of the Imperium and likewise stolen/seized rosettes. Inquisitors whole job is investigation and I'm sure they look into the circumstances of the death of all their brethren to ensure this doesn't happen. I'd expect someone who acquired his rosette in such a fashion to be constantly on the run and eventually dealt with. Could make for a cool themed radical inquisitor fluff though.

Rare, certainly.  Inquisitors, however, are rivals and enemies as often as they are colleagues and allies.  Many (probably even most) operate without any oversight from or communication with their fellows, and as such Inquisitors are probably considered MIA or out of contact more than they're confirmed KIA. New Inquisitors can be trained and raised to full rank without anyone in the sector knowing beyond their instructor and patron, and inquisitors can move to a new sector without telling anyone, as their investigations might require it.

Attempting to vet an Inquisitor without their permission is an easy way to make an enemy, and even a novice Inquisitor is likely to be in control of an impressive array of contacts, spies, and resources.  The full extent of an Inquisitor's influence is unlikely to be known by anyone but the Inquisitor, so making an enemy of one is not something to be done lightly, even by an Inquisitor Lord. 

As for radicals... What if an acolyte discovered the depths of his radicalized Inquisitor's corruption, killed him, and seized his rosette so he could undo all of the damage his once-master had done?  Or an acolyte's master had been killed, his rosette nowhere to be found, but the acolyte was in possession of information that needed to be acted upon (a plot to open a warp gate in the center of the sector capital system, dooming it daemonic invasion!  DUN DUN DUN!)?  Lacking the evidence to convince other Inquisitors (or lacking a method of contact) he forges a rosette for himself, and moves against the cults involved using an Inquisitor's authority.  Both are decidedly puritan examples of Inquisitors with ill-gotten authority.  

This is the Inquisition!  Nothing about it is ever easy or simple.

Archived