The Wulfen Thread

Valerian

This thread is dedicated to the Wulfen of the Space Wolves Chapter. Members of The Fang are encouraged to post pictures of their own Wulfen, Wulfen conversions, provide their own fan-made fluff for them, and to share their preferred Tactics, Tips, and Tricks related to using them in games of 7th Edition Warhammer 40k.

Hi All, I'm sure there's lots to read and digest, but I'm just wondering how the new supliment is going down? I have to wait until I have the purchasing power to get this, so can I ask you guys: is it worth it? What are the highlights / low lights? Will I abandon Champions of Fenris and my Wolf Star that took out a brass scorpion in T1 last week and then went on to clear the board? (are these wulfren as good as that?)

I haven't played a game using the wulfen yet but they have the potential to hit almost as hard as the TWC when you give them the TH/SS upgrade. They don't have rending but they do buff surrounding units. There are three problems I have with them: they are only T4 so S8 attacks remove them, there really is no easy way to include them in a list with one of the formations and there is, so far, no great way to deliver them into combat.

You can address those issues but they require an even greater investment of points for an already expensive unit.

This is my problem with them.

They are too expensive to run in the new formations and stay under tourney points values (1850).

I think 1 pack is enough for the buffing value and I suppose one could add them in a CAD detachment. But then you are still paying 2 troop tax and an HQ so it's mostly a wash.

I wonder if it's worth running the murderpack with very few upgrades like 1 axe 1 TH/ss each and have only one pack leader upgrade?

I think the t4 is their biggest weakness. I have only done one "practice" game using leaked rules and proxies, and unsurprisingly they completely smashed face in close combat. Also unsurprisingly, they were wiped off the board in one round of shooting from an imperial knight's rapid fire battle cannon.

I feel that you have to include at least two TH/SS to tank those S8 shots or invest in psykers to get Endurance from Biomancy. Sevrin Loth is a logical choice here but then your list forms around the wulfen rather than the wulfen supporting your list.

A bare bones wulfen unit in a FA pod doesn't seem terrible but, again, you're paying the CAD tax to include them. That isn't necessarily bad given a lack of ObSec in the formations but it forces your hand to include even MORE grey hunters and blood claws which are already heavily represented. 

Personally i think i would go approx 1/3 axe/claws/thss. I dont think naked really provides very good value. Yes, theyre the toughest vs small arms fire, point for point, but not by that much - the thss option is only 11% more expensive per wound vs ap5 and worse. Meanwhile, naked is 80% more expensive per wound vs ap 4 and better, and packs a MUCH smaller punch in close combat.

Question with those who have the sprues already: Which bits will work well alongside standard power armour in kitbashes?

For instance, how compatible are the heada? Given that there's 11 per box, i figured I might use some spare heads in other units in my Bloodmaws great company - mark of the wulfen and all that.

Question with those who have the sprues already: Which bits will work well alongside standard power armour in kitbashes?

For instance, how compatible are the heada? Given that there's 11 per box, i figured I might use some spare heads in other units in my Bloodmaws great company - mark of the wulfen and all that.

I think I'll be making tutorial today for use with both terminator and PA parts

----------------------------

itll be atleast a day, pretty sure I got food poisoning last night. So Cant do much today

I think the best way to run the wulfen will be 2x TH/SS, 2x Axe, 1x Leader. Axe and Leader with frag, or even just Leader.

This way will keep the costs down as much as possible, and even then, it might be a little too expensive when we can get a similar unit in TWC.

It really is unfortunate that we have to pay a huge amount of tax for any of the worthwile Greatpacks. A bunch of BC's and a scout is really hard to swallow in an 1850pt army when it usually ends up being over 250pts in pure tax. Then, you have to take a bunch of Grey Hunters in tax after that as well. Our HQ choices are usually "not-amazing, not-bad expensive HQ" or "battle leader" and that is all. It is impossible to run just 1 runepriest or 1 ironpriest in the decurion. You also can't run only 1 Wulfen unit in the decurion.

To add to that, our decurion benefit of counter-charge is questionable at best. So I'm not sure if running them in the decurion is the right way to go. It might fit better in CotGW or Wolves Unleashed (if you want plan to give Wyrdstorm brotherhood Helm of Durfast). Since they have more wiggle-room in desperately needed points.

I don't think we need a transport for them though. A transport will cost the same as having another Wulfen unit. So you might as well run the Murderpack instead of buying a transport and force the enemy to split his attention between them.

Watched a series of games at my FLGS between the two other Space Wolf players there and needless to say the results with these guys was pretty disappointing. One guy tried running them across the board on foot and immediately they were targeted and wiped out in one turn of shooting preventing future buffs to the rest of his army in his first game with them. After that both players consistently stuck them in a Land Raiders to get them to there intended targets where in the first round of CC whatever they charged died, however they were then wiped out by the remains of what was left of the opponent's army the following turn every single time. The only exception when a squad of 5 were drowned a squad of hormagaunts as they were just attritioned down.

I really want to find a use for these guys and run them effectively but it is just too much of a tax to invest about the squad of them and an assault vehicle transport to make them useful so far that I have seen. At best taking a single squad and kitting them out with a couple axes and throwing them at your opponents biggest scariest unit (Wraithknight, deathstar ect.) seems to be the best option so far from what I have seen.

I'm think I'm going to try throwing them in a pod at some point in a CAD and see how they do that way. Barring that, I think two units on foot coupled with target saturation might be a thing. It will force your opponent to split fire between the two packs and by doing so, allows the rest of your force to maneuver. I need to get some games in...

I took the wulfen out for their baptism of fire today. I used them in a normal CAD as an elites choice and put them in a FA pod. I was played against GK Nemesis Strike Force with a Knight Lancer. The boys put in work. The wulfen accounted for 8 GK terminators and the Lancer before they were finally killed. Not too shabby. The ability to swing again after dying is pretty great.

I fielded them with 2 TH/SS, 2 GFA, 2 grenade launchers and a Pack Leader.

I took the wulfen out for their baptism of fire today. I used them in a normal CAD as an elites choice and put them in a FA pod. I was played against GK Nemesis Strike Force with a Knight Lancer. The boys put in work. The wulfen accounted for 8 GK terminators and the Lancer before they were finally killed. Not too shabby. The ability to swing again after dying is pretty great.

I fielded them with 2 TH/SS, 2 GFA, 2 grenade launchers and a Pack Leader.

How do you feel they faired on the turn they came down with the Pod?

Where they not targeted and nuked to pieces?

I took steps to protect them by dropping them into ruins out of LOS and then dropped the other pods around them so he had no clear way to get to them. They were in position to support the rest of the list no matter where he placed his deep strike elements and fear of a mishap kept him from dropping too close.

i think its easy to get carried away with their damage potential andoverlooking the real benefit they are used for - buffing!

i played a game on sunday agasint dark angels, and whilst it wasnt the most competitive game, he was no slouch with his army.

We ran a list in prep for an event that allowed no formations etc so i used them as base elites. I used two units consisting of:

Unit 1

2 x TH/SS

1 X GA

1X Naked

1 X Pack leader

Unit 2

1X TH/SS

1 x Naked

1 X GA

1 x Pack leader

1 x double wolf claw

my list was based roughly on a blackmane list at 1750 (without scouts and long fangs) all in pods.

a unit droppoed in with 4 drop pods which i ensured i placed out of range of plasma cannons etc and aimed them at a large squad of assualt marines with a levle 2 libarian. i lot one to shooting and physic powers (the storm shield guys) and when they were charged they kicked face! had i used ragnars rules id have had all of my units in close combat first turn!

they then went on to kill most things but the buffs were great. grey hunters gaining D3 attacks on the charge with furoius charge, an extra 3"move to all phases, is great, as is extra attacks during combat! these guys help buff the army in the right ways and i think podding is the only real way to use them. i think they are ideal in a drop pod army and can be further helped by a runepriest in an adjoining pod tossing biomancy or divination spells onto them. although im unsure if you can attache a runepriest from a normal cad to the formation?

I actually thought it was the opposite. That people were getting too focused on their buffing and wanting to run the Murderpack.

I think they might actually do better in a decked out unit of 1 in a Land Raider.

Something to note is that since the Wulfen curse is an "aura", even if it is in a Land Raider, you would still get to roll the curse table and measure from the hull when seeing if there are affected units. You won't lose out on the aura if you decide to go with the transport option.

I guess another idea would be to run the Murderpack and a land raider. You can go all-out for the unit in the LR and keep the unit outside of the LR, a lot simpler. But even then, it starts to get really damn expensive. Which is why I'm leaning towards 1 unit. Not sure.

So Im putting together my wulfen, and size comparisons of the parts and such.
 and found this out....

on WUlfen #4 there is a huge gap between the right thigh and the back torsoe pelt. That is SUPPOSED to be that way. There is a dagger that goes over it to hide...

Really disliking these monopose dynamic figures. Using certain parts of these kits with other kits, (torso's, legs) is going to require lots of cutting and some sculpting.

So Im putting together my wulfen, and size comparisons of the parts and such.

and found this out....

on WUlfen #4 there is a huge gap between the right thigh and the back torsoe pelt. That is SUPPOSED to be that way. There is a dagger that goes over it to hide...

Really disliking these monopose dynamic figures. Using certain parts of these kits with other kits, (torso's, legs) is going to require lots of cutting and some sculpting.

I just put mine together tonight. I sort of get the mono pose to try and keep them in line with the old eye of terror ones but I'd prefer more customized options. Oh well, that's what all these left over arms and stuff are for I suppose. Going to make a squad of 5 that are starting to turn to the wulfen form and just use the open hands as an un-kitted base unit just for the formation bonus.

I did see there is an extra torso and paw for wulfen 6/pack leader. I used the paw from wulfen 6 on my pack leader so he was lunging and not crane kicking something in the face. So at least I have a pack leader upgrade for the non upgraded pack.

a quick update. heres a size comparison of the heads, legs, backpacks and torsos. Weapons will be done maybe tonight? then tutorials for different uses for the items. '

2 blocks = 1 inch.

http://i.imgur.com/Cyojc8A.jpg?1

example of WUlfen Power armor with ungor head

http://i.imgur.com/qVzK14T.jpg?1

same model with a new wulfen head

http://i.imgur.com/o0iebrz.jpg?1

I have minor issues with the mono pose figures. but overall 1 kit should be able to make 11-20 wulfen with a standard space wolf/marine tactical/grey hunter squad kit 

----------------------------------------------

Oh yay baby.

I made something nice, and a tutorial in editing now. Its a perfect wulfen. made with terminator legs, marine torsoe, epoxy putty and wulfen hands and arm and face.  

Oh IM teasing you.

remember this iconic piece

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/1/10/SW13th.jpg

Front and center (bottom right). That crazy wulfen. That dude. is made. turned out truescale. ya baby. Posting it friday. chikachika

I've got some 'Wulfen' I started building around a year ago that look more like the iconic picture.  I used standard Space Wolf bodies, legs and backpack, but put on 'Werewolf' heads and arms from the company Puppets War ( http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=566 ).  They look like the old 13th Company ones did, and I liked them.  The new ones, I'm still deciding on.  In truth, I've assembled some 36 kitbashed Wulfen and painted around 1/2 of them.  The new ones are expensive in cash and points, so I'm still not sure what I'll do with them.

Here's the thread where I was discussing Wulfen that sort of resemble the new ones:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/318094-curse-of-the-wulfen-to-extremes/ 

And a first run (I've made a lot of changes since) of a Codex for a 'chapter' I've been working on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Gp0FRzAEarbThKQ0ZVTEg3UkU/view

I tend to focus on fluff over crunch, but I do think the Wulfen make for good assault troops.  I tend to think they should have Rending instead of Shred and Fleet, but eh.

Archived