Contemptor-Cortus Tactica

Ishagu

Yes guys, Contemptors are once again an attractive choice! ^_^

The new rules published in book 6 have breathed new life into our FW Dreadnoughts, and I'm already planning several ways of which to incorporate one into my list at various point levels.

So, will you be using the new rules? What do you think? How will you equip them?

Cheaper, AV11 on the side, move through cover, and can risk a 1/6th chance of hull point damage to get a bonus for a turn (Rage / +2" run / +1" move&charge / +1 initiative).

175 for chainfist/fist with grav in both.

I'll take two backed up by a Leviathan. That's a lot of no-man's land when they arrive!  And then anything nearby is getting punched and clawed to death.

Can you still take dual multimelltas? (I only ask because I have a contemptor in mortis configuration)

You can. It has all the same weapon options as a regular Contemptor, for the same points costs too I think. The main difference is the base cost is much much lower.

And also that the Cortus is dropped from WS/BS 5 to WS/BS 4.

Do they get a different model, or do you use the old contemptor model for those?

You just use the old model. Rules are much better and fun :-)

The idea is that it's a Contemptor built in a rush with inferior parts that might be unstable.

So, you can bring two of these, with 2 CC weapons each, in Dred Drop Pods for 370 points.

That's pretty good considering the damage they can do in CC and the fact they can charge multiple units from the Pods...

Also, as it's possible to give them Rage they still have a healthy number of attacks on the charge even if you equip them with a Kheres.

So, you can bring two of these, with 2 CC weapons each, in Dred Drop Pods for 370 points.

That's pretty good considering the damage they can do in CC and the fact they can charge multiple units from the Pods...

Also, as it's possible to give them Rage they still have a healthy number of attacks on the charge even if you equip them with a Kheres.

Where are you getting your math?

They are 135 points base with no options, and dreadnought drop pods are 65 points, so at a bare minimum you are looking at 400 points.  Of course, you'd be dumb not to give them some kind of guns, so it's another 20 for assault cannons or 30 for gravguns, so we're looking at 460. And chainfists are another no-brainer, so there's another 20 points.

I do apologise, I was using the cost for the Pods in 40k.

I don't think I'd go crazy on guns. Truth is with BS4 those meltas won't be as reliable.

Grav guns in fists are probably the best option, but so is running them stock. They are far more impressive in cc then they'll ever be in shooting. Something can be said for the Kheres if you get a few rear shots at a transport...

They will be firing for at least one turn when they come down.  That is a practically guaranteed 4 glances on any vehicle you choose to target, or a huge area of difficult and dangerous terrain for your opponent (each template triggers its own tests).

You're not "going crazy on guns", you'd be crazy not to get them. Grav guns are the easy choice, but Blood Angels could consider the assault cannons too.

I'm mostly strongly considering these for Zone Mortalis and really appreciate people's sharing on this unit.

I reckon the corridor fighting minimises the penalty of their lower side armour and, due to the lack of other Vehicles in ZM in practice, they might have a slight advantage.  This is a unit I don't think I'd field in large games even though I love the models, but might do very well in ZM conditions.

In this scenario, I'm thinking of keeping them cheap, with just a Chainfist w/ TL Bolter and DCCW w/ TL Bolter, but only due to the corridor fighting of ZM.

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this, because I felt stupid when I read it and assumed there must be a fundamental thing I was missing.

For those who haven't seen the rules - the Contemptor Cortus starting equipment is a DCCW and a Twin Linked Heavy Bolter, and you are presented with options that you can take to either weapon (all cost the same points regardless of whether you replace the DCCW or the TLHB). Within that list there is an option specifically for the Heavy Bolter arm to replace with a DCCW for free (it reads "(Heavy Bolter only) extra Dreadnought Power Fist*" or something like that) with an asterisk saying this gives your Contemptor an extra attack (not that it gets an attack from 2x DCCW).

Scenario: I want a Contemptor Cortus with a DCCW and a Kheres Assault Cannon. Logically I would upgrade the TLHB as its a single change to the configuration. With this rule technically I could replace the TLHB with a DCCW and gain an extra attack (for free), and then replace the original DCCW for the Assault Cannon (for the same price as going TLHB > Assault Cannon). Same price, same configuration, but the second has +1A.

I figured there must be a rule I was overlooking in the main rule book for DCCW where removal from a model reduces the number of attacks by one - but then surely the inverse is true (adding a DCCW adds an attack to the statline), and having the option specifically give you an extra attack is a mistake and a typo. Thus still confusing.

Can anyone point out the really dumb mistake I was making, or is there generally an issue with the rules.

Slips - I know with the book available for pre order there's a veto on posting pics from the book, but I can take a quick snap of just the weapon options if this helps clarify things. Thoughts?

I think the key word here is "extra": that indicates you need both dccw to gain an attack

2 of them cost around 100 more than leviathan, and leviathan looks like much bigger threat, When he lands, one unit that is not in vehicle is dead, period. That's usually at least 200+ points earned just when he lands. Then enemy must really concentrate heavy fire power to kill him, which won't be easy. Kill pod with 3 hp and shrouded, then kill him with 4++ and 4hp. If enemy doesn't kill him, he will probably kill another unit or any vehicle close to him.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very well received.  Forgot about the Heavy Flamer option, definitely taking that then.

I totally also see the benefits of the Kheres.  I might experiment with 1 with dual DCCW and Flamers, 1 with Kheres.

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this, because I felt stupid when I read it and assumed there must be a fundamental thing I was missing.

For those who haven't seen the rules - the Contemptor Cortus starting equipment is a DCCW and a Twin Linked Heavy Bolter, and you are presented with options that you can take to either weapon (all cost the same points regardless of whether you replace the DCCW or the TLHB). Within that list there is an option specifically for the Heavy Bolter arm to replace with a DCCW for free (it reads "(Heavy Bolter only) extra Dreadnought Power Fist*" or something like that) with an asterisk saying this gives your Contemptor an extra attack (not that it gets an attack from 2x DCCW).

Scenario: I want a Contemptor Cortus with a DCCW and a Kheres Assault Cannon. Logically I would upgrade the TLHB as its a single change to the configuration. With this rule technically I could replace the TLHB with a DCCW and gain an extra attack (for free), and then replace the original DCCW for the Assault Cannon (for the same price as going TLHB > Assault Cannon). Same price, same configuration, but the second has +1A.

I figured there must be a rule I was overlooking in the main rule book for DCCW where removal from a model reduces the number of attacks by one - but then surely the inverse is true (adding a DCCW adds an attack to the statline), and having the option specifically give you an extra attack is a mistake and a typo. Thus still confusing.

Can anyone point out the really dumb mistake I was making, or is there generally an issue with the rules.

Slips - I know with the book available for pre order there's a veto on posting pics from the book, but I can take a quick snap of just the weapon options if this helps clarify things. Thoughts?

I think the key word here is "extra": that indicates you need both dccw to gain an attack

Hey - thanks for this, I was about to copy this across from the Weekender thread.  I grabbed a shot of the entry in the book just to give everyone the exact wording of the rules.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Events/HH%20Weekender%202016/0DA6D89D-1C82-409B-A020-F882A9CA7DDB_zpso5cdytsl.jpg

Personally I think this needs an FAW / Errata to clarify this, as when I read this I believe swapping out the TLHB for a DCCW gives you +1A but then swapping out the original DCCW does not remove the additional attack.

Opinions?

Archived