Regimental traits HR (Preferred weapons House Rule)

Phubar

Hi, i was thinking about giving our IG some salt and i want to add some special rules similar to SM Chapter tactics.

This is a WIP and i need suggestions.

First of all i want to give to all armies (cadians, catachans, mordians, steel legion, tallarns, etc etc) a couple of preferred weapons, one heavy and one special and a want to make this in lore and in game terms.

I tougth a similar rule:

Infantry Squads (the 10 man ones from platoons) can have one more weapon of each type (heavy and special) chosen from the preferred ones. You have topay the point cost of the waepons.

Do you think that this could be a nice rule?

PS: each army will have this common rule (but different weapons stated) and 2 additional ones that will represent the differences between the armies.

The various regiments did have their preferred special/heavy weapons mentioned in an older codex - it was lore rather than gaming although reflected in the metal boxes if I remember right. While it doesn't sound like a bad idea some weapons are more useful than others, so without some form of additional benefit it might be a case of some regiments do better for their favoured weapon types.

Yes i have that codex (bought some months ago) and i liked the idea of preferred weapons.

I know, who has the lascannon is lukyer that who has the mortar but the lore is the lore, not our fault.

The pourpose is to have "regimental tactics" in order to make the regiment that you like, not the most competitive one. Its more for fluff players than tournament ones, btw balance is very important.

I hope to balance this with the other special rules, btw facing a swarm of tyranids in a hive city with a lot of HBs is better than with a lot of Lascannons.

After deciding how the preferred weapons rule will work i will write the other rules.

Here the list:

CADIANS Granade launcher Autocannon

VALHALLANS Flamer Mortar

TALLARNS Plasma gun Missile launcher

MORDIANS Granade launcher Lascannon

SEEL LEGION Granade launcher Missile launcher

TANITH Flamer Missile launcher

CATACHANS Flamer Heavy bolter

SALVAR CHEMDOGS Flamer Heavy bolter

TERRAX GUARD Melta Lascannon

HARAKONI Plasma gun Heavy bolter

DKoK Melta Heavy bolter

KARAX Flamer None

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on Regimental traits and i need an advice:

What makes Mordians Mordians?

What makes DKoK DKoK? 

Tanks :)

Next days i will ask some more adviuce in order to adjust the list that ive done. I', waiting to post it because i want to post a full list.

Death Korps already have their own list from Forge World. They get some unique orders and a wave-assault based strategy in addition to some nice artillery stuff.

Mordians are noted for stiff discipline (ignore morale checks from shooting, Stubborn?), a total disregard for casualties, fancy dress uniforms, pomp and circumstance, and being severely underestimated by enemies of the Imperium.

What makes Mordians Mordians?

Mordians are tough, they don't break easily, and I'd probably boost them with leadership so they are less likely to break. Not only that but they like to form it up and march into battle, so they don't use transports often. In addition some sort of bonus for having every model in the unit being in base contact with at least 2 other models from the same unit granting bonuses, as well as giving them the Stubborn USR. Also, commissars aren't really prevalent in the Mordian Iron Guard, since they'd be shot for suggesting something like finding cover and digging in. As a downside, they'd also take a -1 to any cover save.

What makes DKoK DKoK? 

DKoK is already covered with their rules from IA5, 6, &7 The Siege of Vraks and IA12 The Fall of Orpheus. DKoK has better WS, and the assault brigade has the Forlorn Hope rule, and they get grenadiers for troops (HSLG, CCW, F&K Grenades, Carapace Armor, BS4). There are a lot of things that set DKoK apart from regular guard. I suppose you could give veterans the option to take Hotshots, and carpace. They also favor artillery, and they don't use missile launchers. They lack access to the Vulture and Sentinels, as well as their hydras and mortar tanks are elites rather than heavy support. They also have command tanks which make their artillery more effective, which are also elites. DKoK and Elysians are best left to forge world, since they are best represented there.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter. I like the idea of Regimental doctrines, as it pulls the meta away from competition and more towards fun and fluffy. In addition, you'd also be limiting characters too, such as Yarrick may only be taken as part of a detachment that uses the Steel Legion Regimental doctrine, for instance.

edit: Damn, Lukash beat me to it...

Tnx. I know that DKoK and Elysians have Fw stuff but i want to add them too. The pourpose of my project is to have a light set of rules (like SM chapter tactics) rather than full depth codex. So you can decide to play DKoK as a real new army or just the ig with only a lityle more flavour.

I don't see anything in any of the articles that is really contradictory. I'd use all three as sources for writing your rules. I'd give them situational rules, like, fearless in cities (because familiar terrain), -1 to cover saves (because of uniforms), and +1 leadership (because disciplined). Also something like making them unable to go to ground might also be a thing.

Those might get you started.

• 2 weeks later...

Do Mordians have better personal armour as stated in the 1d4chan article?

They stand in front of heavy fire and i dont understand if fhey die less than others or if the keep fighting regardless the heavy losses.

Well, if you break it down the grenadiers upgrade is an extra 1.5ppm, so if you do the math on the HWS and SWS, it comes to 9 points for those. The PCS can buy it for 8 points (5x1.5=7.5 rounded up is 8). That's my suggestion. So you don't need to do the math, I just did it for you tongue.png.

Tnx :) but math isnt an issue, my problem is to keep the rules clear, short, simple, fluffy (but not OP) and without changing point costs. This because you can use all support material (like battlescribe) without doing you extra math building or modifying the list.

I will think a bit more about this last point and i will decide.

Tnx for the help!

Well, if you like, I have experience with editing catalogs in battlescribe, If you'd like I could edit one for you and then we could post it here for distribution. I actually like doing that kind of thing, as that's how I've been building my alternative army lists.

Ok guys, Mordians done.

One more question: both Tallarn and Steel Legion rely on swift mech warfare but wich one has swiftest chimera?

I'd be wary of changing the basic stats of the chimera. I'd focus instead on the infantry, taking a cue from FW, denying the use of carapace armor, but gaining MTC, is great. Since the Tallarn are very much inspired by the Desert Rats, so giving the infantry scout would be good (scout is conferred to the transport, making it faster). Also making forward sentry vets infiltrate might be good, since their fluff revolves around fast movement and ambushes, since they lack the personal armor, you might want to give them cover save bonuses, like stealth.

For Steel Legion, I'd give them buffs like being able to disembark after a full 12 inch move, and relentless to fire their heavy weapons at full BS. Basically whatever rules you can think of to make them better at mechanized warfare. Also Preferred Enemy is a must, maybe they get Preferred Enemy (Orks) when led by Yarrick, and can choose preferred enemy orks or chaos for a regular CCS. Steel legion is difficult to pin down, without making them a krieg clone, since in the fluff they're tough as nails, just like the kriegers.

I hope this helps. We'll see what others say though.

For Steel Legion my toughts were similar to yours, making chimera embark/disembark at 12 and giving relentless while embarked. Plus 5++ to inf against poison attacks due to sealed uniform. SWS and HWS have access to chimers sd ded trsnsport. Maybe some more: i have the block notes at home, cant remember all :)

About Tallarns i was thinking about:

- infantry has hit and run. Poor buff but fluffy.

- sgt can issue his own squad the order that makes fire and run.

- rough riders have infiltrate

- sentinels move better (mtc? Or can move 12"? Ehhh??? Uh??)

Need to give bonus to other mech? I dont want to... there are a lot of bonuses already.

Archived