Taurox or Chimera?

Pablo Benigno

I am sure that this is not the first time you see this question, but let me read what you think about this.

Chimeras are more expensive, have AV12 in the front, two weapons, smoke launchers and lights from default, and is a tank.

Tauroxes are cheaper, have AV11 in the front, a TL Autocannon, and a built-in dozer blade.

In my opinion, the worst thing on the Taurox, and the main reason I don't like it, is that the firing points are on the sides, so I can't shoot with my heavy weapons from the inside without showing my squishy AV10 side. On the other side, it might be a good buy for a unit of veterans that will cross the battlefield, but in that case I would spend 5 points on buying the smoke launchers, making it a little bit more expensive.

Do you use only Chimeras or Tauroxes? Do you mix them? Which role do you use for them?

It's as much down to legacy as anything else. Most Guard players had a stash of Chimeras already and when the Taurox emerged and - looks aside - it didn't fare well. Weak armour for a Guard list (or any list other than DE...) and while the stock is cheap and cheerful it's nothing to write home about. The Prime is better and could have decent use, but is unfortunately expensive especially if you spring for some of the upgrades. These upgrades can make it quite good, but you can end up with a lot of points on a fragile platform which isn't ideal.

I think the Taurox needs to be taken in number and as part of a mobile list. Scuttling about to deploy infantry is about the only way the Taurox can claim to be better than the Chimera, but you'd need good infantry to make this work as you'd essentially be trying to play like Marines. The Prime is only for Scions so that discussion is worthy of it's own post as they're a very different beast.

Hi Pablo,

Spent a lot of time mulling that on over before starting my mech force - and you're right there's a few threads on it but you don't see much c&c on the Taurox from folks who actually field them. I'm not a rules expert and only recently back to the game after a long absence but here's my two bits from fielding a mix of these in my last few games..

Chimera:

I run a Chimera for my CCS, trying to get into cover by turn 2 then sit their acting as an armoured orders point for my commander. I like to keep it cheap - just an AC or DB and then rely on it's low model profile to keep it out of trouble, it's easy to hide the bottom 50% of the hull so you'll almost always have that 4+ just make sure the back hatch is clear so you can bail out when it's ready to pop.

For me it's really shines when it's in cover casting out orders and allowing me to roll against the commanders Ld - the AC on top is really just because I prefer the staying power over the ML but everyone has their own view on that one and it's really just a personal preference.

Once the hull pops - normally while in CC so far - de bus the boys out the back and form a line of meltas to pay back the enemy for their trouble :)

Taurox:

My vets use Taurox - they don't port any heavy weapons, just focused squads of either Plasma or Melta - anyone without a special weapon is really just an ablative wound in the making, yup even you sarge ;). 

With the arcs form the firing points and your Taurox squarely facing an enemy unit you're not going to get any shots in from the cargo, I prefer to think of it an insurance for if/when an enemy squad moves in for CC - if needed you can fire from all 4 but you never want to have to use it.

My tactics are to quickly advance then de-buss my vets onto the nearest objectives to my DZ. Depending on what they are up against I'll either keep the Taurox there in support, only if there's enough cover, or make a break for the middle field and start grabbing/revealing objectives.

How it works:

I normally find with a mech force that I can wrack up points early on by taking objectives - form turn 3/4 onwards it becomes about denying the same to the enemy. I like to keep my Taurox out in the middle field - there to annoy and distract, grabbing/contesting where they've got the range, and trying to make sure there's always a bit of cover/DT between them and the enemy advance. Later in the game I'm always happy to push them a bit harder and go 12" as the TL means there's still a goodish chance of landing an AC round in the shooting phase even when snap firing - but I only put them out of cover if there's either a VP in it for me or there's a chance to stop one going to the enemy.

If my Chimera is still alive by turn 4, and it's only happened once so far, I work to keep it so moving as much and as far as needed to deny the enemy the slay the warlord - at this point it;'s not a firing platform just a tool to keep the boss man on the filed. (and there's often no one left to issue orders to by turn 5 anyway :) )

So far I've had lots of success milking the Taurox move through cover ability - franticly reversing over rough terrain while plinking off shots at enemy infantry is great fun, and pivoting is always free so through these guys around a lot and always finish with front towards enemy. An opponent suggested I get a 'vehicle reversing' mp3 to play during games after failing 3 charges in a row to this tactic- I may even add a how's my driving bumper ;).

So that's my take on our two noble steeds - the chimera is always the solid pick for porting your HQ and the comms rules make it a must have for me - but when it comes to troops I like to keep it light and cheap with the Taurox - so long as you remember that it is not a tank - more like a scout sentinel with wheels :).

Hope that's useful, o7

I can see some use for the Taurox for Veterans' units that will cross the board looking for an objective. The TL Autocannon is pretty good, and you have a built in dozer blade, but you need to pay for the smoke launchers... All in all you save 15 points against a Chimera with dozer blade.

Yes, we still have 40k's most useless rule :P

For a 15pts difference I'd take what the Chimera gives over the Taurox. As we discussed at the time of release the Taurox needed to be a lot better to tempt us from our Chimeras, which is why when we get an update I'm expecting/hoping for some sort of buff. If not, then I'm afraid GW will have to still wonder why the kit doesn't sell that well...

I've started to use the taroux more and more lately

I recently purchased 2 and looking for at least another 1 or 2.

This is on top of the 2 taroux primes I have.

As Pablo mentioned you can save 15pts on each one compared to a chimera with dozer blade

Which is why I started using them

Although the chimera has more firepower AV12 and smoke launchers/search light. I find I rarely use the smoke or light and given that both have AV10 sides and rear the AV12 doesn't make too much of a difference especially when units can only disembark from the rear of a chimera.

The biggest downside really is the fire points.

I find them most effective as cheap objective grabbers. Ill grab them us up grades for my blob squads to provide cheap mobile objective scorers (which are obsec ).

This forces the opponent to shoot them and suffer retaliating fire from larger threats or leave them be.

I've had reasonable success with this tactic thus far. Albeit I've only played a few games.

I haven't mounted vets in them yet. I will probably do this if I use the emperors blade formation to keep points down.

I guess my preference would be to still use chimeras for vets if points allow and if not the I'd use tarouxes.

The taroux primes as a fast vehicle with and extra weapon are great. I just wish they were 10-15pts cheaper and I'd use them more.

CCS definitely need chimeras still otherwise they can't issue orders. Although it is annoying they can't issue orders to the squad theyre sharing a vehicle with...

I confess I've not much knowledge about any version of the Taurox - so how does a Prime differ from the standard version? Does it have higher AV or just better/more weapon options?

The Taurox has a Twin linked autocannon, and the option for any of the vehicle upgrades. It has the Allterrain APC rule, which does the same as a dozer blade. It's very basic, having 3 access points and 2 fire points. It can carry ten models. All for the "low" price of 50 points.

The prime is far better, but costs 30 more points. For that you get an additional selection of weapons and fast. The autocannons can be taken but are replaced with TL hotshot volley guns as stock, the autocannons are a free swap. You also get a taurox battlecannon, which an autocannon profile blast weapon. That can be swapped for a TL Taurox Gatling cannon (10 shot S4 punisher), or a Missile launcher which is basically just like a Cyclone.

The Taurox Prime is only Available to the Militarum Tempestus Scions. I actually plan on getting 2 more of them to fully mech one of my MT platoons (yes I have more than one). 

I'm a combined arms guy, so I like a bit of everything in my lists. Chimeras are for transporting things that need protection, like vets, command squads, and stormies (maybe, if you're not looking to get right up in the opponent's face with them). The Taurox prime gets stormies up close to do their work. Where I'd be most likely to employ the vanilla taurox is in my infantry platoon. Give a Chimera to the command squad, and tauroxes to the line squads. That lets the infantry get up the field quickly and get into cover and grab those objectives.

Chimera for me all the way. FA12 is very solid in this edition, and I prefer the durability over the speed the Taurox had to offer. The Prime is good but too expensive for what you get IMO.

Plus, Chimeras w/HM Hvy Flamers are great, as I have a number of Ork, Tyranid, and Necron horde lists running around. For a 2nd shooting weapon, I just add a Hvy. Stubber.

Cheers for the info Ulrik, from a simplistic viewpoint the Chimera is your standard APC and the Taurox either light infantry support or a one use delivery system. I would say they both have their place it just depends on what you want in your list.

Cheers for the info Ulrik, from a simplistic viewpoint the Chimera is your standard APC and the Taurox either light infantry support or a one use delivery system. I would say they both have their place it just depends on what you want in your list.

No problem, and actually if you look at real world analogues, the Taurox is the MRAP to the Chimera's Bradley IFV. The taurox has enough armor and firepower to get it's payload to the fight, but not enough to stick around and slug it out. The Chimera takes it's payload to the fight, and has the armor and firepower to take out anything the infantry can't handle. Especially true of the Autocannon Chimera.

The Prime is a whole different animal. Just like the SOF units and their gun trucks. The prime gets it's payload to the fight fast, and has the guns to get it there, and support the troops it took. The Prime is an ideal raider, get in drop off the troops, they grab the objective, then hop in and haul ass. The fact that the prime is fast is what makes it great for stormies. The short range of their weapons means they need to cross the board fast, and get near whatever they need to kill. The prime makes them a significant threat.

I find the Taurox as being a great way to mechanize things that really have no business being mechanized. Much the same way MRAPs are used to mechanize light infantry. Used to be that you just stick a squad of guys in the back of an LMTV or a Deuce and a Half and take them wherever. Now that IED's are a prevalent thing, you need a truck that can protect the guys in the back. That's sorta how I see the Taurox. It was a supply vehicle, that someone decided to cap off and stick guns on. Then the Stormies saw it and cranked it to 11, much the same as the SAS and their Land Rovers.

I gotta say, I think I'd like the taurox a lot more if it was a fast vehicle, even if the stripped away some of the weaponry. I'm currently trying to find an excuse to use mine in a list. (I already have 3 chimera models and would hate for things to not match haha)

The difference between AV11 and AV12 is almost mind-boggling, and it doesn't take much practice to keep front armor towards the enemy.  All you have to do, really, is either stay home (two heavy weapons behind AV12 is AMAZING for the price, you can shout at the men if you're an officer, and you can have one of your boys fire an autocannon from the hatch) or hug the flanks.  the only area that's really unsafe is the center of the table...and even terminators don't like going there! (my demolishers dominate that space anyway)  It would be a much fairer comparison if the taurox were fast, but I think in that case, it should be limited to only being able to move as a fast vehicle if it stays out of difficult and dangerous terrain.  More nimble than a tracked vehicle in ruins and forests, but can't really make good use of its top speed in dense terrain?   

I'm in agreement with almost everyone about the base Taurox needing to be a fast vehicle. It has nothing to really give it any advantage over the chimera. Sure the Taurox is 15 points cheaper, and yeah that adds up, and sure it has a twin linked autocannon, and a built in dozer blade rule, but that's just not enough to justify it only being 15 points cheaper than a chimera. for a drop of 10 points and making it fast, I think it would have more uses. Because lets face it, that twin linked autocannon, is not going to do enough damage to justify the cost. The chimera is overcosted this edition too.

I think that's probably the one thing we can say about our codex, most stuff costs more than it should.

Archived