New BL audio drama, Pharos, and Battle for Abyss

veterannoob

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/dark-between-the-stars-mp3.html

As expected, Pharos is out in HB and audio today. And!!!  it's read by an old favorite, John Banks, who recently did The Either, I believe. Maybe Grey Talon (which is also a CD today).

Battle for the Abyss is out in HB and I'm curious what updates are added, so please someone report.

Finally, Laurie G of BL by surprise turned out to be the audio drama linking with Pharos which I of course picked up right away to add to the queue.

Enjoy!

Do they ever update HBs?  Aside from four pictures and an author's note?

Yes they do.  Old inconsistencies between books are corrected, legion sizes changed, dates changed, armor descriptions. even some dialogue gets changed.  Which is why I'm pissed that there's only trade paperback versions of the first three books, as that was the version I switched to collecting.  Not even the audio or ebooks get updated the way the hardcovers and trade paperbacks do.

I don't think the trade paperbacks in german match up size-wise. The trade paperbacks I've seen here have neither been the regular TPB format nor the larger HH one, iirc.

On the topic of The Dark Between the Stars:

An Ultramarines scout has a vision/meeting with the Great Devourer below Sotha. He sees it, it sees him. It sees their light and is coming soon.

The Lion shrugs it off as irrelevant and has "no intention of telling either of them [Guilliman and Sanguinius] anything" because he hears no mention of a credible threat, all just nonsense. No reason to investigate further.

"Besides, when have you ever known me to offer anyone the whole truth, unasked. I will not lay, but I will not play Roboute's game of Imperium Secundus with an open hand."

Instead, he goes on with his preparations to hunt Curze *in secret*, defying Guilliman, which will be covered in Angels of Caliban by Gav Thorpe.

So let it be known that the loss of Sotha to the Tyranid fleets and all that came off it for the Imperium is the Lion's fault, arch-traitor to mankind :P

Checked on Amazon:

BL's large trade paperbacks: 15,2 x 3,8 x 23,4 cm

BL's german format: 13,5 x 3,4 x 21,5 cm

BL's hardback format: 13,6 x 2,6 x 20,6 cm

Regular B Trade Paperback: 13 x 2,3 x 19,8 cm

In Germany, books tend to be all over the place as far as dimensions go. We don't really have the go-to trade paperback B or mass market formats which almost every book has these days. Shelves tend to be very disorganized as a result, which contributed to me abandoning german editions altogether and stick with the trade paperbacks for almost everything. It just looks so much nicer.

Sort of related. I was going to order the HB version of Pharos and noticed the shipping is like the cost of the book! I would order many of the LE books and what not and it seemed like if it was more than 30 (US) the shipping would be waived. It seems this may not be the case anymore which would be a bummer...no way I would pay 20+ in shipping for a 30 dollar book. 

Do they ever update HBs? Aside from four pictures and an author's note?

Not even the audio or ebooks get updated the way the hardcovers and trade paperbacks do.
They add the afterword and images to the ebooks - do they really not contain the other textual changes too?
A simple way to check. Open a digital copy of Galaxy in Flames. Search for the phrase, "The eagle was the Emperor's personal symbol" if you find it, then the eBook hasn't been updated. In the revised version this has been changed to the Palatine Aquila. I'm sure there's other instances as well but that one was the most obvious for me among the three books that I have.

I can't speak to international shipping since I thought the free shipping extended worldwide but that special comes and goes I guess, or is limited to a specific price point depending on currency. But I would urge anyone who sees prices alone too high to check back later if it's. A release date. I realize this may not be helpful but I was quite annoyed last week when The Emperor Expects came out as $50 audio book since the previous were $30 and this was no good. For whatever reason, the price was adjusted down to where it should be later on that evening.

Hope it works out for everyone.:)

Wow. Regarding the spoilers. The Primarchs are in many ways parts of the Emperor distilled to greater proof in certain aspects. The Lion, as certain authors portray him, is the Emperor's :cuss-y-ness at 210 proof. Geeze.

Oh yeah. Another Curze Lion fight. Yay. ...not. As much as I like the Lion I'm starting to hope Curze kills him cause I'm tired of reading about him and friends not killing Curze.

I read Pharos the moment they released the digital copy. Loved it but don't know if I'd get the audio. However there is no shortage of action in this one. Also I'd like to Guilliman as a voice. Lol

Abyss? Not sure this will sell very much.

A simple way to check. Open a digital copy of Galaxy in Flames. Search for the phrase, "The eagle was the Emperor's personal symbol" if you find it, then the eBook hasn't been updated. In the revised version this has been changed to the Palatine Aquila. I'm sure there's other instances as well but that one was the most obvious for me among the three books that I have.

My ebook copy says "palatine aquila".

Could someone provide the example of updates from the hardback of 'Battle for the Abyss'?

Would be greatful for the internal illustrations too, please! happy.png

Bougth and read it a long time ago - can't spend another amount on updates and 4 illustrations of unknown quality

Looks like they are doing a site update. At least it pulled down any links to the story rather than leaving the newsfeed archive link there and confusing customers. ;) have you listened to it yet? It's quite good. Went through it again last night before starting Pharos again for audio this time, (between TBA books for the show).

Well, Laurie is on holiday at the moment, maybe someone got uppity and executed exec order 66;) or a mail order troll escaped from the 1990s museum exhibit and is running amok in the server room. Or wherever the devil it is you kids keep your computers these days.

As it happens it was another problem with the title. It is already used in another non BL book .  Thousands of books in sci-fi released each 3 months, you can't get all the names checked. So - generally it's not Laurie or BL fault. -  veterannoob DarkChaplain

Again if someone could share internal illustrations from Battle of the Abyss - please PM me. I dont have the money to spend on a book I read, because of 4 additonal illustrations and addendum. 

What's the forum stance on sharing the afterword for Battle of the Abyss?  It was written last month by Laurie Goulding and is quite illuminating (to me anyway) on BL's thought processes for the HH as it evolved and addresses some of the points above.

Archived