Command squad loadout

Emprah2508

I don't think there is such a build for a CCS, at least not a very efficient/effective one. I would instead argue that a "cheap and cheerful" CCS would best fit this, but focusing purely on what it's there for you give it a sort of all rounder nature. The CCS is there to give orders, but can't survive when exposed to enemy attention as it's only five models (or so). Instead he uses his orders to let his surrounding units do the taking on of targets smile.png

However BS4 is not something to be wasted, so some weapons to benefit from that are no bad thing if you have the points. For me that's usually a bit of plasma or melta - Guard aren't hurting for anti-personnel elsewhere. Even so, their shooting is not the main dish so I'd only take a couple. If you have a second CCS then you can look at building them as a shooty squad, but again all rounder isn't something they're great at so you'd still be focusing on something anyway.

TL;DR: all rounders aren't something Guard are great at, less so on CCSs. If you want a more flexible squad take some plasma, but giving orders it the CCS's main purpose. If you want BS4 weaponry look to Vets as better platforms thumbsup.gif

Vox is good for building up your orders, but you want a suitable army to make the most of it - something to be done properly or not at all I reckon. Autocannons are good along with most other HWTs, gives them some shooting from a distance to be doing. As long as they're cheap and out of harm's way that's what I count. Armour is wasted mostly as five models won't last long and AP4 is easy enough to get especially against a high value target, so a Chimera is the best armour for them.

Relics are a personal thing I find and depend greatly on the list you're trying to build. I feel they're a little expensive for Guard so you must make sure to use their benefits to the fullest whichever you pick as well as taking suitable steps to protect your investment. The Tactical Auto-Reliquary of Tyberius is fun for the aforementioned orders lists for example, I'm not one for the direct combat ones though for obvious reasons.

Best all rounder?  I'd feel comfortable taking a company command with 2 plasma guns in a chimera into any match up.

Season with melta veterans and infantry squads and your choice of russ you have a nice list 

I'd avoid any equipment really, keep them nice and cheap and load up on guns.

The vox takes up a model same as the medic and banner upgrade so four special weapons leaves no room for anything else. Vets can have Sergeant, 3 special weapons, vox and a HWT - and a demolitions charge if you take the doctrine. Not a cheap squad, bit possible :P

Tbh most my lists either run a lord commissar or pask

I rarely run orders based armies

If I do take a CCS minimum requirements is chimera

Then second option would be vox, but now its cheaper just to purchase volkovs pimp stick only fail on double 6s.

If I have points to spare still then maybe a lascannon

My current list has me experimenting with the free laspistol/ccw swap

Mainly because I find once my CCS has been popped outta their metal shell if they survive theyre probably gonna be charged and Ill take the extra attacks for what its worth

Especially given the chimera already has the las gun array and it also allows me to shoot and charge to deny my opponent their charge bonus

I agree with WF carapace on the squad is wasted too few models and given it probably has your WL in it. It will attract attention

2-3 plasma guns, carapace for the vets, a medkit, and a voxcaster if not a third plasma gun have served me very well when mounted up in a Chimera. Carapace + FNP is the same as a power armor save. Bonus points for the Preferred Enemy warlord trait.

Not strictly Guard, but the Company Command Vanquisher with a lascannon, coaxial heavy stubber, and beast hunter shells is fantastic as well.

The vox takes up a model same as the medic and banner upgrade so four special weapons leaves no room for anything else. Vets can have Sergeant, 3 special weapons, vox and a HWT - and a demolitions charge if you take the doctrine. Not a cheap squad, bit possible tongue.png

I do like me a vet squad with forward sentries, autocannon, and three plasma guns...on the top floor of a ruin. Five BS4 S7 shots at a transport is no joke, and the three plasma guns make MEQs an TEQs steer clear. Too expensive to do more than one squad like that, and it's hard to find more than one decent place to deploy a squad like that anyway.

I tend to go for CCS with 2 plasma, carapace and vox inside a Chimera. Carapace is cheap and great for saving overheats or if the Chimera gets destroyed.

I tend to think the HQ Chimera is an auto-include with the amount of stuff that ignores cover these days. Also orders and preventing Slay the Warlord is very important.

If Im running an infantry heavy list I sometimes take the Kurovs Aquila for massing preferred enemy.

I love artillery, so I usually play them with Lascannon and Master of Ordnance, and if I have some spare points, add Cammo cloaks for the Veterans. It's cheap, can give orders and if you deploy them wisely, can throw a lot of pain on the enemy.

Im using "the iron left" on my commander, its +2 str and ap3. 25 points but it at least gives me a chance to wound some of the bigger nasties in this universe. More for insurance, i dont go looking for a fight but its nice when you encounter t5+ guys.

Otherwise my CCS is a lascannon and vox.

In the current campaign I am participating in I have 3x CCS that I rotate as needed:

1) Bare bones with Volkov's Cane and a Lascannon HWT in a Chimera. This goes with the Emperor's Wrath Artillery formation and doesn't move much as it sits within 6" of the Manticore and Basilisks: 155pts

2) "Battle Staff" w/ Camo gear on Commander and Vets, Vox, Astropath, Master of Ordnance and everyone has Laspistol/CCW. This tends to go with footsloggers and stays out of site 90% of the time: 128pts

3) "Big Game Hunters:" Carapace on everyone, Astropath, Wrath of Cadia on the Commander, 3x Plasma guns, Vox, Krak grenades for all, and an Astropath all in a Chimera (Multi-Laser/Heavy Bolter) with dozer blade. This usually goes the Emperor's Blade Assault company but can also go solo: 227pts

Those are the basic templates I, personally, use.

Archived