DaGrot

Raptors, Strike Team Grim

by DaGrot

I have finally returned to civilization. In truth this idea of mine began a while ago when i saw this gem whilst i was orkin around the interweb http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Raptors, i instantly fell in love with this chapter and the fluff. i feel that as a chapter the raptors suits me perfectly. However one thing bugged me about the chapter...... The Fracking Paint Scheme Makes No Fracking Sense!!!.

Below you'll see the current chapter paint scheme( it used to be blue and yellow) its described as drab green (sick.gif). My problem with this is that a company or the entire chapter cant recall which at the moment was trapped on a jungle deathworld and so changed the armor to use jungle camouflage, which is supposedly the image below. I've been to jungles and i know for a fact that its not drab green.

So I've decided to make my Raptors more vibrant green, blending from kabalite to moot green.

"Why Strike Team Grimm" i hear you say, strike team as i plan on keeping it a relatively small force 500-1500 pts and too also keep it fluffy, The Grimm part ill tell you about later.

Keeping it Fluffy

This itself is normally hard to do, But I've set myself a limit by buying it all in advance : 1x Sternguard squad, 2x Devastator squads, 1x Vindicator, 2x scout squads, betrayel at calth set and plenty of 3rd party bits. The Raptors as i see it are all about the 'one shot one kill' and quick overwhelming attacks. so be ready for lots of grav,bolters and las coming your way.

more coming soonish

As is with this hobby of ours I was drawn in to buy more plastic crack, at least I have an excuse this time. I have decided to use my bac set to do some heresy, so quick look on eBay I found some models to rescue, mostly the black reach set. I used this opportunity to build and prime all my models once they had arrived. So using a spare terminator I made the first strokes and settled on my paint scheme.....

Tadah!!! the completed tester model

IMG 0819

IMG 0820

IMG 0821

doing this scheme as I’ve done it was long and painful. but I’ve learnt some things from it that I will apply to the rest of my models I don’t need to build up with quite so many shades of green, and that the freehand logo is not for me( time to get Forgeworld transfers).

My reasoning behind the paint scheme. As I see my Raptors they are on the jungle death world’s northern wasteland which prior to the warp storm was once a busy Mechanicus,  Adamantine processing plant but is now simply ruins. so as a result the marines will be worn and dirty due to being trapped on said world. and I will attempt to show this also on the bases by making them greys and muddy with rusted metal and some polluted snow with the occasional tuft of moss/grass. but i also plan to make all the bases change, let me elaborate so from the center of the formation it will be primarily rubble and ruins but as it pushes out from the center more and more snow will appear to help show the fact they are moving outwards on a patrol.

'The Grimm'

Lias Issodon

My small Strike Team will be led by none other than Lias Issodon. As there is no official model and not much in the way of fluff other than that he has a power sword and a custom bolter. 

with the body of a 30k recon marine, a optic enhanced devastator helmet and a special bolter courtesy of Anvil Industries and a speacial base that I'm currently working on. I plan on painting him to the same paint scheme, however i want to make him look wet like he is standing around in the rain if anyone has any ideas please let me know

instead of working on 'the grimm' i got distracted and made a ten man grav squad and painted one up completely base is being built separate 

I present you Brother Rahl of Squad Eyei the of the 9th company

IMG 0822

IMG 0823

Unlike most chapters the Raptors do not use Companies in a battle field role but instead use the ten companies purely for training marines prior to there selection to a strike squad. As such the command structure is different to most chapter as well as the steps to becoming a full fledged battle brother

Gloss varnish, or gloss medium might help the 'wet' effect. Would test it on a separate piece first though.

heard of that aswell, working on a few methods

Must say that these aren't quite drab enough for my tastes. Modelling is cool though, Lias Issodon fits well.

fair enough, each to there own taste

Current army shot. lost my phone so new photos are going to be a problem

IMG 0990

• 8 months later...

Archived