Leman Russ Vanquisher vs Leman Russ Annihilator.

Rommel44

Hey mates, got my Chimeras and starting to work on my Infantry for my DKOK Grenadier Assault Brigade list, however I currently facing a delima. Currently my list has 7x Storm Chimeras (aka come with Autocannon Turrets base), and a Avenger Strike Fighter, and at the moment I am debating between with Leman Russ Varient to field for my Hvy. Support. And since I lack any true Long-Range Anti-Tank Weaponry I am debating to field the Leman Russ Annihilator or the Leman Russ Vanquisher.

Both have there pros and cons, but both basically fulfill the same role. The Vanquisher is a bit more expensive point-wise and I have to pay points to make it Twin-Linked with the Coaxial Hvy. Stubber, but it does have the longer range and the 2D6 Armor Penetration. Annihilator is cheaper, and basically a more heavily armored Predator, but lacks any extra penetration power. Plan to field either with a Hull-Mounted Lascannon, so at this point it's basically which one would be more effective. Or would I be better off fielding a different Leman Russ Varient?

Appreciate the feedback mates.

Beast Hunter Vanquisher is probably my favorite unit in the Guard's arsenal and keeps a lot of things running scared. Not cheap though.

The DKOK Grenadier Assault Brigade Leman Russ Tanks do not have access to the any of the Special Ammunition.

The Vanquisher is only truly superior if it's on a tank with BS 4 - a BS 3 Vanquisher Russ won't hit enough with it on the short time it has on the table to truly make use of its gifts, unless you have access to a co-axial stubber or stormbolter (but then you get into only having reliable AT within 36 inches or 24 inches respectively).

If your boys are limited to BS 3 on their tanks, I'd recommend the Annihilator. You sacrifice armor penetration capability for more reliable hits, and with a hull lascannon and some multi-melta sponsons it can still be a fearsome anti-tank implement.

Hope this helps, and may the Emperor be with you and your regiment.

I'm confused...some people seem to be saying "Vanquisher cannons are unreliable because/when they only have one BS3 shot" and "paying extra points for a BS3 lascannon is a fantastic idea" at the same time. wacko.png The reason that I have issues with that is because you're paying 20 points per bonus hit...but you're shooting at targets that are appropriate for S7 guns...20 points per bonus hit on a vindicator is one thing, 20 points per bonus hit on a rhino is huh.png

I like Truesight's proposal. In a non-FW list, I never field BS3 vanquishers, but I also never equip my BS4 tanks with anything but vanquisher cannons. I'm contemplating a mont'ka "squadron" of Vansquishers taking advantage of the BS4 bubble...probably still only 3 vanquishers in the list, total, but mutliple BS4 vanquisher cannons is a good thing...the twinlinked BS3 ones are great, too.

Archived