Mechanicus as Allies

I'm looking into adding some Skitarii allies to my Guard. I'm not too heavily into the Mechanicus stuff, just looking for some fluffy allies for an army that makes use of tanks, walkers and a knight. I was only planning on having 2x 5 man squads of Rangers plus 2 Ironstrider Ballistarius walkers in my small mechanicus force. I'm not really looking for a whole army, just something to provide some ranged support to my very mobile assault army (Based on Death Korps rules).

I was thinking of using the rangers in a backfield role, as a small base of fire to support my mechanized grenadiers as they move up the field. The Ironstriders caught my eye, with their BS2 snap shooting and twin linked weapon. The Dunestrider rule giving 3 bonus inches to movement is also intriguing, as it would allow the walkers to move faster and cap objectives better.

What recommendations are there from y'all. I'm wanting this to be cheap and cheerful and not the backbone of my army.

I have yet to field an Ironstrider, but I can't wait to. Both Rangers and Vanguard are great; I prefer Vanguard for the mountain of wounds they drop on people, but for what you want, the longer range of the Rangers would likely be better.

Could be worth considering going for a Dominus Maniple from the Get Started box. You'd have an Onager instead of the Ironstrider, but they are fantastic. It would also bring the Tech Priest Dominus, so could heal all your tanks and whatnot. But I think two units of Rangers with some Ironstrider backup sounds good to me.

I don't care for the look of the Onager, and I didn't care for the points cost. I was looking to keep the points cost down, so I was thinking the Ironstriders would be better, also because I'm looking for something analogous to a Sentinel. Lately my lists have been using space wolves allies, which gives me access to the wonderful assault cannon, but dreads are slow just like sentinels, and the AssCan is a 24" ranged weapon, causing me to be firmly entrenched in the mid field, with most of my weapons being 18" range. The Rangers I agree would do better for my needs, giving me a bit longer range.

I would like to have the Tech Priest Dominus, purely for his Volkite weapon, as I love me some Choom. It only occurred to me today that AdMech was an option for getting some cheap long range and good walkers in to support my guard.

If you don't like the looks, that sucks.  Not much to do about that unless you convert your own.  That said, the cost of one Onager is about the same as two Ironstriders.  If the Ironstriders have no upgrades, they cost 5 points less than an Onager with a Neutron Laser (which absolutely demolishes targets at long range).  You'd lose the Skitarii Maniple's Scout rule, though.  

If you think the Ironstriders fit better thematically, absolutely go for it.  But if you're just worried about cost, it's not much of a difference between the two.

The Onager is now sounding like a pretty good take, especially after looking at the other weapon options, it might be a good take for anti-air. I don't understand why I'd lose out on scout though, if taken as part of the maniple.

I do have to say that the Start Collecting box is a great value, and would work tremendously well if added to the 2 ironstriders I wanted. It would certainly give me options for my lists.

I'll have to think on this, but the main thing was having some fast moving walkers and some longer ranged infantry to support my Grenadiers as they advance.

do have to say that the Start Collecting box is a great value

It actually gives you the biggest discount opposed to buying the models individually (at least here in Europe it does).

I don't understand why I'd lose out on scout though, if taken as part of the maniple.

If you take the Dominus Maniple (one Vanguard unit, one Tech Priest and one Onager), you lose scout, but if you take a Skitarii Maniple (two troops plus whatever you want) they get Scout. Since you said you wanted something cheap, I was thinking the Dominus Maniple might be a cheap alternative with great utility. If you want to just add an Onager to what you were already looking at, then yeah, it'd get Scout. Just a little miscommunication, it seems!

Ok, I though it was something along those lines but needed a bit of clarification. Since GW really seems to love the word maniple. If I were to add the Onager to the allied list, I'd likely take it with the Icarus array, because reliable anti-air is something I'm rather lacking, especially in light of the fact that the only flyers  run are a Vulture and a Valkyrie neither of which excel at anti air.

Maniple is a great word to be fair :P I'm planning on running a similar allies theme, though likely with all but the infantry assault elements of Skitarii. Keeping things cheap is a good plan as even stock Skitarii are capable enough soldiers unlike Guard. The Skitarii will benefit from the Guard's numerical presence too, and can borrow some transports :)

Maniple comes from the latin "Manipulus" which means a group of soldiers (no, I didn't ask Wikipedia, I actually knew this one since I am interested in hostorical weapons and fights). 40K is big with his pseudo latin and the whole military branch stuff of the Ad Mech is heavily influenced by the historic archetypes such as the Roman phalanx etc.

Maniple comes from the latin "Manipulus" which means a group of soldiers (no, I didn't ask Wikipedia, I actually knew this one since I am interested in hostorical weapons and fights). 40K is big with his pseudo latin and the whole military branch stuff of the Ad Mech is heavily influenced by the historic archetypes such as the Roman phalanx etc.

And here I thought it was a bastardization of "man nipple."

So, I actually got to play a game against a 3500pt War convocation yesterday. It made me want to go cult mechanicus instead of skitarii. I like the look of the Kastelan Robots, and the Katphron breachers just wrecked my tanks. Gotta say it's a pretty awesome thing.

So, I actually got to play a game against a 3500pt War convocation yesterday. It made me want to go cult mechanicus instead of skitarii. I like the look of the Kastelan Robots, and the Katphron breachers just wrecked my tanks. Gotta say it's a pretty awesome thing.

I felt very similar. Skitarii is cool, but the mechanics the disjointed look the army has just has me hooked, and has made it quite difficult to get any work done my skits lol

I may not have used the best list to counter it, so that probably played a part. I was using a DKoK grenadiers mech list with a Knight Paladin on back up. It was also 2v1 with the Mechanicus as the 1. It was Raven Guard and Krieg facing off against mechanicus. With the amount of MC's I see on the table, I need grav to face it. I also want the dominus, because of choom. I like the look of a lot of the models, and the weapons aren't bad. Only thing is the Mechanicus stuff is so costly, points wise in comparison to the Skitarii.

Maybe I'll get some of both, to mix and match.

This sounds like the Start of a new army...

Onager is excellent.

I like them either as a pair with neutrol lasers and stubbers, where they always make their points back... OR as a single guy with the icarus array to really make fliers frowny-face.

Dragoons are excellent nuisance models for only 45 points. Literally my only complaint about them is having to magnetize the serpenta for Convocation games. :P

While reading your post I was thinking "Well, sounds like he starts a new army here without even knowing"... but you realised it on your own in the end biggrin.png

I know, right? I'm in the middle of starting a new army, and adding onto an existing one. As well as thinking about adding on to some other existing armies. My Tau really don't need any help, my necrons need a little, my wolves need some new toys, My guard needs yet another Demolisher, and I got the Betrayal at Calth Box, that's going to be the start of raven guard. Luckily there's only one model I need to buy to make my raven guard army complete, since I'm capping them at around 2500 since I don't play games with higher points than that, and that's pretty much the logical end point I had in mind.

It's amazing how easy it can be for that to happen. I was just thinking about a week ago about how the Vostroyan models would look good alongside the Skitarii with their long coats and the solid craftsmanship of their weapons and that the Militarum Tempestus would be a nice contrast with the intricate armour and high-tech looking wargear. I closed that browser tab pretty quickly once I'd made that connection! tongue.png

It's amazing how easy it can be for that to happen. I was just thinking about a week ago about how the Vostroyan models would look good alongside the Skitarii with their long coats and the solid craftsmanship of their weapons and that the Militarum Tempestus would be a nice contrast with the intricate armour and high-tech looking wargear. I closed that browser tab pretty quickly once I'd made that connection! tongue.png

To be honest though, If you stick to the confines of the C:MT book, you'll find that while it can lead to quite a few models, it's still pretty limited. They make great allies to mechanicus, especially skitarii, as you can put 3 squads of Vanguard in Fast attack Taurox Primes, or you can just take the Scion formation(s) (of your choice) to assist your mechanicus forces with their close range AP3 shooting.

Still, I've just started raven guard, and fortunately, they have tons of access to grav. So any Mechanicus allies I might get will be in the future at some point.

Has someone experience with taking an Inquisitor? I am thinking about getting one. They seem quite customizable and have some amazing weapons (Rad Grenades, Conversion Beamer, Incinerator etc.). I would like to see if I could just gear the Inquisitor up for CC and stick him with some Infiltrators or Ruststalkers. 

One problem is the old resin models though. I love the look of this model: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99800107016_InquisitorInfernoPistolPoerSwordNEW_01.jpg

But I don't want to buy resin (and the finer details on older models tend to be roughly molded). There has to be an alternative model out there with the same archetype of Witchhunter-esque style (long coat, the hat and the typical sword & gun combo). Neither Freebooter's Fate nor Infinity or Warmahorde seem to have fitting models though. :/ Suggestions?

Has someone experience with taking an Inquisitor? I am thinking about getting one. They seem quite customizable and have some amazing weapons (Rad Grenades, Conversion Beamer, Incinerator etc.). I would like to see if I could just gear the Inquisitor up for CC and stick him with some Infiltrators or Ruststalkers.

One problem is the old resin models though. I love the look of this model: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99800107016_InquisitorInfernoPistolPoerSwordNEW_01.jpg

But I don't want to buy resin (and the finer details on older models tend to be roughly molded). There has to be an alternative model out there with the same archetype of Witchhunter-esque style (long coat, the hat and the typical sword & gun combo). Neither Freebooter's Fate nor Infinity or Warmahorde seem to have fitting models though. :/ Suggestions?

I have got Solomon Lok from FW cool.png

And I love the Grenade juggler. Ordo Xenos with Frag-, Krak-, Psykeout-, Rad- and Psychotroke grenades plus servo armor is just 63 points. Drops T -1, so you can instakill T4 models with your taser Infiltrators. The Psychotroke grenades can cripple the enemys best CC units, psykout lets you strike before any Eldar psyker or Slaanesh Daemon.

Infiltrators can be leathal in CC, but with this Inquisitor they get ridiculous strong ph34r.png

Can he throw all of these grenades at once? I know that the Rad Grenade is not actually thrown but rather just takes effect when he charges or is charged. What about the rest? Would be awesome do just drug the hell out of some poor Orks and then just hit 'em in the face with our electric sticks! biggrin.png

Edit: Solomon Lok looks AWESOME! If I get the chance, I will buy him. xD

Most, if not all, of those Witchhunters inquisitors were first made in metal and are available on the second hand market. However they're not cheap.

Take the uber Vanguard squad with three calivers, conversion field/taser/phosphor pistol/pater radium on alpha, make them warlord for preferred enemy, and attach Kaldor Draigo.

He pops them around with Gates of Infinity and tanks wounds while they evaporate all the the things.  In melee, he has preferred enemy everything and the enemy is at -1T.

Fear the Emprah!

Archived