Scion formations?

Buster

Just a quick question but in the cadian formations, there's one for an AM scion platoon. Is it possible to take that as a stand alone formation or do I need to take a full cadian detachment for it?

The way i read it, the MT platoon is a possible auxiliary choice, but it is not a self-contained formation. So you indeed need it to be a part of the detachment; it cannot be taken by itself.

Depending on what you're trying to achieve however, it shouldn't be too difficult to use an allied detachment taken from the codex MT. One comissar or MT command squad plus one squad of troop scions and you're golden.

You can take the formation alone as part of a Formation Detachment. It won't get Cadian Battleforce Detachment command bonuses though, just the formation ones.

Pretty sure every formation in the game may be taken this way. Unless there's a special entry prohibiting if, sorry don't have my book with me.

Not correct akim. You must check the formation datasheet for the 'can be taken solo' symbol. 3 skulls in a circle is common.

Most 'single unit' formations cannot be taken solo. E.g. Deathmarks for necrons, wraith knights for eldar or scions for our Decurion.

However as mentioned an allies detachment has the same cost of 2 units and allows for more stuff to be taken. Win/win :)

Not correct akim. You must check the formation datasheet for the 'can be taken solo' symbol. 3 skulls in a circle is common.

Most 'single unit' formations cannot be taken solo. E.g. Deathmarks for necrons, wraith knights for eldar or scions for our Decurion.

However as mentioned an allies detachment has the same cost of 2 units and allows for more stuff to be taken. Win/win :)

Ah true, just took a peek at my Mont'ka book, didn't realize that the MT platoon didn't get a formational data sheet.

So that means there is five ways to take Scions.

1. ​CAD
  2. Allied detachment
  3. Unbound
  4. Ground Assault Formation (Commissar, 4 units of Scions and 4 Tauroxes)
  5. Airborne Assault Formation (Commissar, 4 units of Scions and 4 Valkyries).

I'm personally thinking CAD + Guard Mont'ka Emperors Spear Aerial company for Vendettas. Bonus Objective Secured :)

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I should have explained that I've got a mess of chimeras and was just trying to avoid having to buy a bunch of taurox primes. Thought I could have gotten around it with a formation.

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I should have explained that I've got a mess of chimeras and was just trying to avoid having to buy a bunch of taurox primes. Thought I could have gotten around it with a formation.

I don't understand. Unless I'm mistaken, Scions can take Chimeras as dedicated transports, so there's nothing stopping you from putting every Tempestus Squad you've got in one. What am I missing, here? tongue.png

I don't understand. Unless I'm mistaken, Scions can take Chimeras as dedicated transports, so there's nothing stopping you from putting every Tempestus Squad you've got in one. What am I missing, here? tongue.png

They can, if the platoon is taken as part of a C:AM list. If you go from C:MT, they can't take chimeras.

LOL...here's my thought on that...if they're taken from the AM codex, they're  kasrkin.  If they're taken from the MT codex, they're stormtroopers.  Same statline and equipment...not at all the same fluff.  

Archived