Victory is Vengeance

A D-B

On the same note, despite having zero interest in weathering, when you're faced with white armour... suddenly learning one of the few tricks to make white look more interesting becomes a little more tempting.

(And please don't quote the "Things were more weathered in the Heresy" thing. Boo to elitism! We're all smart human beings. If you genuinely think, say, Chaos Marines in literally every/any day of their lives fight less than Heresy-era armies and have way more time to clean up their uniforms and armour, then you and I can never be pals. Also, I have a bridge to sell you.)

Kizz actually just posted some white weathering techniques in his EC log in the forge. Id link you to it, but my phone isn't cooperating >sad.png

No. To hell with Kizz. I hate him and will eviscerate him in fiction.

Ha! I understood that reference :P

On the same note, despite having zero interest in weathering, when you're faced with white armour... suddenly learning one of the few tricks to make white look more interesting becomes a little more tempting.

(And please don't quote the "Things were more weathered in the Heresy" thing. Boo to elitism! We're all smart human beings. If you genuinely think, say, Chaos Marines in literally every/any day of their lives fight less than Heresy-era armies and have way more time to clean up their uniforms and armour, then you and I can never be pals. Also, I have a bridge to sell you.)

Kizz actually just posted some white weathering techniques in his EC log in the forge. Id link you to it, but my phone isn't cooperating >sad.png

No. To hell with Kizz. I hate him and will eviscerate him in fiction.

Ha! I understood that reference tongue.png

A truly awesome film.

Wait, is that thing. People think stuff was more weathered during the heresy? Wow, people really are arses!

I enjoy painting white, lets me play with oil paints.

Wait, is that thing. People think stuff was more weathered during the heresy? Wow, people really are arses!

I don't want to make too big a thing of it in this thread, but yeah. Obviously it's a style FW have preferred for a while, and ties in with their weathering powders ranges as well as looking distinct from the normal studio (the HH needs to look different, after all, to differentiate the lines). All good! But there's some occasional handwavium from some folks about "There was less time to repair armour" and "Heresy battlefields were more brutal" which... well, is untrue outside of massive generalisations. 

One of the few technological advances of the 41st millennium. Teflon coating for power armor. Keeps the dust off.

In all seriousness though, it's because the FW staff painted the first generation of 'showcase' models for the heresy and they have a tendency to use techniques more in line with mainstream military modelers like you see with tamiya and revel kits for Sherman's and Tigers, etc. People took the painters personal preference for a blanket decree. One only has to look at Blindhamster or Jackdaw's models to see that light weathering or no weathering on heresy figures is every bit as mind blowingly awesome as the heavier weathering techniques you see from Lorenzen and El Diablo.

I like to weather models cos I think it's a fun and challaging thing to do. I would do it for heresy models, or those set after. At the same time I occasionally like to paint something clean as it were, I like the change. Anyway I'll stop tangenting.

While I get that obviously things aren't any more weathered in 30k, I can definitely see why people might draw that conclusion (as ADB says, that's how the FW stuff is generally painted as opposed to GWs generally bright, clean look; and 30k does feel very brutal) and I don't get why people having the wrong impression about something or being wrong about something makes them an arse?

I meant the people who would complain that something was to weathered for 40k or to clean for 30k would be the arses. Surley anything can be weathered as much as you want no matter the setting, and even if you have a strong opinion of it why would you complain that someone had a different opinion. This is getting over complicated.

I meant the people who would complain that something was to weathered for 40k or to clean for 30k would be the arses. Surley anything can be weathered as much as you want no matter the setting, and even if you have a strong opinion of it why would you complain that someone had a different opinion. This is getting over complicated.

Ah okay. It just seemed like you were saying they were arses for being wrong or not knowing :)

It's a generalization that started with how FW introduced their models, as others have mentioned, and some people take it too seriously and get very elitist and snobby about it. But we are heading way OT on the weathering subject, so let's steer it back toward ViV.

Ah okay. It just seemed like you were saying they were arses for being wrong or not knowing :)

I'm wrong most of the time so that would make me an arse, although I am so....

Back to white weathering, a lot can be achieved by using the off whites GW use, like Palid Wytch Flesh, and a light wash is simple and effective without screaming heavily weathered.

Any thoughts on these methods? They're the ones I'm hoping to try this week (with pics, natch). I really love TheApatheticFish's YT channel; I got my Emperor's Children step-by-step off there, too.

Any thoughts on these methods? They're the ones I'm hoping to try this week (with pics, natch). I really love TheApatheticFish's YT channel; I got my Emperor's Children step-by-step off there, too.

That looks amazing. I'm very tempted to use that when the time comes although I'll probably use a darker tone but we'll see

That is similar to the technique I use when weathering. Though that guy takes it further than I do, you could smash out weathering super-quick with that technique.

I go with sponge weathering, like he did, starting with a dark grey, (I use Adeptus Battle Grey)

Then I do Bolt Gun metal, inside the grey areas, I don't sponge this on on an infantryman though I use a brush so I can control where the paint goes.

Last, instead of highlighting the surrounding area, I highlight the exposed metal with Mithril Silver. Looking at that tutorial, the surrounding highlight does look pretty good, but it you're doing it on white, I don't know how that would work.

http://i.imgur.com/tK2KKnv.jpg.jpg

Anyway, that's what my white looks like weathered, I didn't have a pic of it on a trooper. Soz.

The linked video gives some astounding advice, wish I knew all that stuff 5 years ago.^^
Sponge weathering is one of the easiest ways and, in my opinion, looks great. My advice is to put a very diluted coat of Nuln Oil over the sponged plates as it blends them a bit into the colour. I don't highlight my sponged damage marks as A.) I can't highlight such thin lines for the love of all that is holy and unholy, and B.) I don't like the look.
Here are two examples (If I may^^)
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/Death20Guard20WiP_zps2ckik9zd.jpg
This is just a mix of Rhinox Hide and Abbadon Black (1:1) and then sponged on, then a mix of Lahmian Medium, Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade (4:1:1). If I were you, and if you choose to sponge, I would use a dark grey (Mechanicus Standard Grey for example) and then followed by a black of your choice. If you would rather wish to use washes, I'd mix Nuln Oil, Agrax Eartshade and Carroburg Crimson and then dilute it with Lahmian Medium (2:1:1:4) and then wash the white. Maybe add a bit of the undiluted mix into the recesses later on. The reason for Agrax and Carroburg is that your violet is very cold and blue-ish (As one might have guessed from my mistake a few pages earlier...whistlingW.gif ) and white in and on itself is relatively neutral, thus a slight touch of red-brown would add a nice contrast.
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/Lord20Sariel_zpsfqwtbjy0.jpg

This one is Chainmail sponged on, followed by a sponge of Mithril Silver and then washed with Lahmian Medium and Nuln Oil mix (2:1), this is a very handy technique when weathering colourful armour (so everything except white and off-whites) as it creates a very subdued effect.

Hope it helps :)

Maybe this will be more visible. This is not a thread about weathering. Any more are getting removed.

Busted! Sorry, BCK. 

Good point though; should I start a project log instead?

Maybe this will be more visible. This is not a thread about weathering. Any more are getting removed.

Busted! Sorry, BCK. 

Good point though; should I start a project log instead?

You can edit the OP to clarify you wanna talk about various topics relating to your project to give it more of an umbrella to cover various topics.

The topic is ViV. A little Off Topic here and there isn't a problem, but it's turning into a weathering thread, and that's when I have to do my job as a mod. I've actually been thinking of opening a weathering thread myself, and might do so tonight.

ADB, if you wanna do your own project thread, I'd be happy to see where you go with your models. biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input over the course of the thread. Ross and I have chewed it over a bunch, including the notion of letting other people in our regular gang join in. Crucially, we've worked out that a Heresy-era warband (with all the kitbashing for uniqueness and unique unit leaders we'd like to do, etc.) is out of our price range right now, but we're not done by any means. The ViV rule set is definitely the way to go while we're working on our main armies (Imperial Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus, respectively) and we're going with a 40K incarnation of the campaign instead.

One that has held a lot of appeal in its own right for ages, for reasons I'll get into later. I'll start a project thread very soon, since we're now getting underway on the actual modelling. 

Thanks again, gang. Very helpful stuff!

It sucks that this project is a bit of a no-go. 

But it is good that you & Ross have another plan, even if it is 40K based :)

Hope the new project works out well, and maybe drop a link here so the guys can see what you get up to .

As someone whose painting progress is likely to be best described in geological timeframes and measured by Carbon dating, I can only attest and encourage focussing on a single project ;)

Would have loved to see your ViV stuff and fluff, but I am -patiently- looking forward to your 40k stuff. Especially since I think you will be doing Mechanicus from what I hear!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input over the course of the thread. Ross and I have chewed it over a bunch, including the notion of letting other people in our regular gang join in. Crucially, we've worked out that a Heresy-era warband (with all the kitbashing for uniqueness and unique unit leaders we'd like to do, etc.) is out of our price range right now, but we're not done by any means. The ViV rule set is definitely the way to go while we're working on our main armies (Imperial Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus, respectively) and we're going with a 40K incarnation of the campaign instead.

One that has held a lot of appeal in its own right for ages, for reasons I'll get into later. I'll start a project thread very soon, since we're now getting underway on the actual modelling.

Thanks again, gang. Very helpful stuff!

Sad to hear it won't be heresy but viv in 40k could be awesome

Surely the nightlords re-issue in hardback has caused a fairly large check to make its way to you either way hope you get round to heresy at some point

PS. you actually made me like abbadon as a character something that previously the fluff and fiction had failed to do

Archived