Black Library Hardbacks format?

Victarion

So recently I received a copy of the War Without End anthology, it was a really great read but I couldn't help but notice that the book's binding was different (It has a flat spine instead of a curved one). I was curious and so I dropped the Black Library an email and one of their guys over there told me that basically all of the new novels are going to be released with a flat spine, and all of the hardback releases of old novels are going to be released with a curved spine...

This doesn't make much sense to me, and having switched from collecting the "legendary paperbacks" to the hardbacks because I wanted all of the books in one format it is a little frustrating. Obvious getting hold of and reading the story is the most important thing by far, but it still doesn't make much sense, why not have all the hardbacks the same?

What are everyone else's thoughts? 

Only thing I can think of is, perhaps, the files for the older books were created with curved spines in mind, the newer ones flat spines, and BL doesn't feel like taking the time to reformat the old files...maybe?

I've noticed in the 'Beast Arises' series the three books so far are marked as being printed and bound in China. Possibly there is a new cheaper outsourced contract which is making the difference.

Archived