Best Imperial Knight to Support IG Army.

Rommel44

Hey mates. Everything is going smoothly with my Army, and at this point I am currently debating which Imperial Knight would be the most beneficial in supporting my army. As it stands, I am currently debating between the following Knights (both standard and Forgeworld Equivalents), and I just wanted your thoughts and opinions why I should go for that one over the others. Before that, I am running the Mechanized Death Korps of Krieg Grenadier Assault Brigade list, which consists of: 7x Chimeras w/Autocannon Turrets, 6x Squads of Grenadiers and a Command Squad, 2x LR Annihilators, and a Avenger Strike Fighter. With this list in mind, here are the following Knight Variants I am debating on:

* Knight Crusader: Kinda considering this one atm when it comes to the standard Knight builds, I would field this with the Double-Tap Battle Cannon, Gatling Cannon and the Carapace Mounted 3-Shot Rocket Launcher. Great fire-base to support my Vehicles as they advance and it has some potential at CC as well. Only reason I am not too sure with the Crusader is that I already have a lot of shooting with this list, and I personally feel that one more suited to a CC role would be preferred.

* Knight Errant/Paladin: Would be alright with either of these options, as both have good CC potential, as well as having a strong shooting weapon to go with it. While  I know the Paladin is more popular due to the Battle Cannon, I personally like the Errant as you can never go wrong with a Thermal Cannon and I have had more success with it in killing units in my Meta personally. There is Gerantius, who is a beefed up Errant but I have heard and have to agree that 500 points for what he comes with is a bit steep.

* Forgeworld Cerastus Knight-Acheron: This one is very tempting for what it brings to the table, as who doesn't like a S7 AP3 Apocalyptic Flamer that ignores cover and can basically hurt every ground unit in the game. Obvious drawback is that not only is it a FW Model (Price-wise), it is only really suited to combat Ground Units, as I personally prefer units that can be a bit more flexible.

* Forgeworld Cerastus Knight-Castigator: Current one I am considering the most, as not only does it boast the better CC options out of all of the Variants, its Twin-Linked Castigator Pattern Bolt Cannon with 8x S7 AP3 Shots makes it great against not only ground forces, but can be an AA weapon as well in a pinch. This, along with its unique CC Special Rules are the reason I am leaning heavily in favor of this one atm.

Granted the Forgeworld Variants are nice for what they bring, it is a shame that I cannot equip them with a Carapace Mounted Weapon. Thats where I stand at this time so your feedback is more then welcome. Appreciate the time mates, and note this is mainly for an 2500 point list for an upcoming Doubles-Tourney, but I do plan to use it in smaller games as well :thumbsup:.

Looking at your list I'm seeing a lot of AP3 and AP4, but little AP 2.  I'd take the Errant with that list for cracking open tough tanks, even though I generally prefer a Paladin.

I personally prefer running the Errant and/or Warden depending on pts

To elaborate more

Wardens are great meq/teq/mc/GMC killers and even decent anti air without having the dedicated carapace mount

Errants are great teq and anti armour killers

Knights in general are super mobile so great for getting objectives and super durable especially compared to baneblades as they are 13/13/12 and have a 4++ and don't suffer in close combat

6hps is good too

Although as always if your opponent is prepared for a knight they will bring them down with concentrated fire power but that goes for most things

If I bring one Knight I try to bring two

Really give them something to think about ! ;) but that's really for >1850pt games

Though my Knight is still in the forge I think the Errant's melta is better for Guard. Battle Cannons are something we can get easily enough, albeit not with as many shots so a large blast of doom to lay on anything tough would really help. Not that the Paladin is bad of course, as it still has plenty of punch especially if your list doesn't feature battle cannons.

I have to agree on the rule of cool myself. Also, owning an Archeon I can concur that it's a beautiful model whose flamer makes anything in cover die.

The idea of a heavy assault knight gets me excited with your DKOK assault brigade- FW is coming out with their holy HE‼️2 arms of doom Knight soon so you may want to wait if you're going to go FW.

:)

I have to agree on the rule of cool myself. Also, owning an Archeon I can concur that it's a beautiful model whose flamer makes anything in cover die.

The idea of a heavy assault knight gets me excited with your DKOK assault brigade- FW is coming out with their holy HE‼️2 arms of doom Knight soon so you may want to wait if you're going to go FW.

:)

Which Knight is this you are referring to?

I have yet to field an errant as the paladin just makes me warm and fuzzy. It's easy enough for me to do, as my knight is magnetized. I'd rather take a knight paladin than a LRBT squadron, because for one it actually does close combat, some thing a squadron of battle tanks cannot do. However, I'm with WF, if you have LRBT's use them instead, especially if you can bubblewrap them.

I only get to use my heavy hitters when I play against experienced players, or players who instinctively know how to cheese a list.

Something to consider with the Castigator: while other Knights have Str D CC attacks, meaning it's attacking individual models; the Castigator is Str 10, meaning it's attacking a unit.

Not sure what you mean by this

S:D attacks still allocated and hit like normal only difference is when applying wounds where individual models can suffer D3 wounds without overflowing

Not that it matters because they count as S10 for determining instant death which most things will die from 1 hit anyways

Something to consider with the Castigator: while other Knights have Str D CC attacks, meaning it's attacking individual models; the Castigator is Str 10, meaning it's attacking a unit.

Not sure what you mean by this

S:D attacks still allocated and hit like normal only difference is when applying wounds where individual models can suffer D3 wounds without overflowing

Not that it matters because they count as S10 for determining instant death which most things will die from 1 hit anyways

A Knight attacking a squad of 8 models with a D weapon can (assuming no bonus attack from a charge) kill at most 4 of them - the excess wounds allocated to a model will not spill over to the next model per the Destroyer Weapon rule. Attack them with a S10 Deflagrate weapon (as the Castigator has), and you can eliminate all of them (4 for the base attacks, plus 4 from the deflagrate).

If only the Styrix were 40k legal, it would mulch things with the huge choom cannon... alas it is not, and the Tech Priest Dominus has the only volkite weapon in 40k...

Don't forget that in CC, the knight also gets hammer of wrath at I10 (1 S10 hit) and it's stomp attacks at I1 (d3 S6 AP4 blast, or just outright death under the marker), in addition to it's normal attacks, I've seen my knight tear through my opponent in one round of melee because of HoW, 4 attacks, and then stomps. Just because the D weapon doesn't spill over, don't assume the knight can't take care of business.

If you send the knight against the sort of targets it should be up against, it'll do fine, just don't let your opponent tarpit your knight.

I've seen my knight run riot through a dark eldar army. It killed a good half of his army and I only charged the vehicles. I mostly deploy a paladin, so I tent to use it for ranged support, but now that I have leman russ battle tanks, I can take an errant and feel pretty good about it.

To be fair an Ogryn's sneeze could run riot through a DE army laugh.png Much like the standard Russ and its battle cannon I feel the Paladin is a similarly great default if you're undecided or unsure. More so for other armies granted, but when did you hear a Guard player say "no, that's enough battle cannons"? tongue.png

I don't know much about the FW Knights, other than they look a bit spindly up on those legs...

You should absolutely run a Knight Paladin of Nurgle. Leave space for One Eye Open, but you can form a line to bubblewrap and increase the chances a deep striking melta team will mishap. He will regenerate HP's all game with his It Will Not Die. A fitting complement to your corruption is a Psykana formation rolling on malific. They can easily summon stinky bodies to congest the field and hide in ruins.

Do remember that the paladin can trade in its battle cannon for the melta cannon, and that all of its weapons can be fired independently.

​That's no longer a Paladin, that's a Knight Errant

​Edit:

Crusader - 2 guns. Gatling cannon and battle cannon OR thermal cannon

​Errant - thermal cannon and chain/fist​

​Galant - chain AND fist

​Paladin - battle cannon and chain/fist

Warden - gatling cannon​ and chain/fist

​All can upgrade nipple stubber to melta and take Icarus autocannons (AA), stormspear rockets or ironstorm missile pods. I love me' some anti-air, it even has interceptor!

Do remember that the paladin can trade in its battle cannon for the melta cannon, and that all of its weapons can be fired independently.

​That's no longer a Paladin, that's a Knight Errant

My mistake, I meant crusader. The names all being so similar, I mostly think of them by their loadouts, not their official names.

Archived