The Legion For You: Part Two, Electric Boogaloo!

Slips

So I've just returned from the Horus Heresy Weekender and I'm totally pumped for Heresy. With picking up my Assault Cannons and Storm Shields my Imperial Fists are pretty much complete.

I had planned to start a new Legion this year anyway but now I'm really drawn to the Space Wolves. I've previously played Wolves in 40K (many years ago) and lost interest in them when they effectively become parodies of themselves (riding Wolves, Sleighs etc). I see 30K Wolves as how they were always meant to be (this is a purely personal opinion and perspective).

I'm a little worried by the Space Wolves Tactica (unfortunately locked right now). There seems to be a lot of negativity around their rules right now. I don't really see the issue but it's got me a little worried...

If there is a legion that you really want to play just play it and don't worry about their legion rules and such. You won't be happy picking a legion based just on the rules. It sounds like Wolves are where your passion lies so absolutely play Space Wolves and don't worry about all the noise.

Cheers that's where my heads at. I've just really struggled over the years to stick with projects. I've started almost every Legion you can imagine and never got anything finished.

My Imperial Fists will be the first army I've fully painted and can play on the table top since 5th ed 40K.

I love Heresy but find myself pulled in so many directions. The rules really are secondary to what I'm really interested in. I was just surprised people seem to think they are so bad for the Wolves (I guess possibly because they come at the game from a different direction to me).

Going to finish reading Inferno today and start building tomorrow for a slow grow Prospero Canpaign.

Ok, I'll have a try:

What I've got:
20 mark 3 marines
10 Indomitus Termis
10 Scouts

Like:

• Background of terra, unity, thunder warriors
  • Loken, garro, sevatar, bear, hawser, Khârn
  • spec ops
  • Heavy infantry
  • 'good villains'
  • Pragmatics
  • Clever methods
  • The chars of the NL

Dislike:

• Slannesh
  • EC, WS, WB, AL, RG
  • the growing taint of the SoH
  • Possesed
  • traitors who love chaos
  • Finecast
  • To paint skin, fur or cloth
  • The methods of the NL
  • the boringness of the UM,
  • The humorlessly IF
  • The victims role of the IH

That's a tough task, isn't it? :smile.:

Edited by TRIBUN

Ok, I'll have a try:

What I've got:

20 mark 3 marines

10 Indomitus Termis

10 Scouts

Like:

• spec ops
  • Heavy infantry
  • 'good villains'
  • Pragmatics
  • Clever methods
  • The chars of the NL

Dislike:

• Slannesh
  • EC, WS, WB, AL, RG
  • Possesed
  • Finecast
  • The methods of the NL
  • The humorlessly IF

What about Thousand Sons?

Well looks like someone else in my group is going to be doing Dark Angels. Obviously this doesn't mean I can't do Dark Angels by any means, but since i would like to not double up a legion it does make me lean towards UM and IF a bit. We have someone doing a small UM force for 40k already so that further makes IF more attractive. Not quite convinced yet though but it's looking more and more like IF will be the winner.

IF may have as strong a "feudal knight" theme as the Dark Angels, plus with the averland sunset spray, yellow is easier to paint then ever - and considering the quality of the sigismund and pollux sculpts, I'd be confident in FW's ability to make dorn look awesome :) Edited by Lord Thørn

Ok, I'll have a try:

What I've got:

20 mark 3 marines

10 Indomitus Termis

10 Scouts

Like:

• spec ops
  • Heavy infantry
  • 'good villains'
  • Pragmatics
  • Clever methods
  • The chars of the NL

Dislike:

• Slannesh
  • EC, WS, WB, AL, RG
  • Possesed
  • Finecast
  • The methods of the NL
  • The humorlessly IF

Chaos loving mutants...no thx.

So, give me something along the lines of:

Sledgehammer, robots, attrition and bad attitude!

GO! (please :smile.: )

Ummmm Iron Warriors? Dark Mechanicum too

Hmmm, interesting, maybe a combo of them both. 

I'll give it some thought, thank you.

Well looks like someone else in my group is going to be doing Dark Angels. Obviously this doesn't mean I can't do Dark Angels by any means, but since i would like to not double up a legion it does make me lean towards UM and IF a bit. We have someone doing a small UM force for 40k already so that further makes IF more attractive. Not quite convinced yet though but it's looking more and more like IF will be the winner.

IF may have as strong a "feudal knight" theme as the Dark Angels, plus with the averland sunset spray, yellow is easier to paint then ever - and considering the quality of the sigismund and pollux sculpts, I'd be confident in FW's ability to make dorn look awesome :smile.:

Since I posted this I decided that since I already have a bunch of stuff for them I better get my Word Bearers table ready. I am however almost positive I will be doing Imperial Fists as soon as that happens. I also hadn't realized that they have a strong Holy Roman Empire and Prussian influence. Being that I'm half German and half Polish, two countries that would have been included in both those empires, this puts them higher in the running.

I have actually painted a squad somewhat and yeah yellow isn't that bad with an airbrush. I used the averland sunset spray you mentioned and then did a zenithal highlight with FWs yellow airbrush paint. Looks pretty good IMO

Edit: oh yeah and can't wait for Dorn!! He'll going to look ace with his armor. Sadly I think it'll be a couple years still until we get to see him.

Ok, I'll have a try:

What I've got:

20 mark 3 marines

10 Indomitus Termis

10 Scouts

Like:

• spec ops
  • Heavy infantry
  • 'good villains'
  • Pragmatics
  • Clever methods
  • The chars of the NL

Dislike:

• Slannesh
  • EC, WS, WB, AL, RG
  • Possesed
  • Finecast
  • The methods of the NL
  • The humorlessly IF

Chaos loving mutants...no thx.

Oh man you need to learn more about the Thousand Sons! Especially during the Heresy they weren't Chaos loving at all. They were manipulated by other powers and were basically forced to join Horus in the end. Up until the Burning of Prospero, and even for a bit after, they were as loyal as most other loyalist legions. The reason they are how they are is due to their own arrogance, not due to them loving Chaos. Also for most of their history during the HH they didn't have rampant mutation thanks to Magnus making a deal with a Tzeentch Greater Daemon. It was only after they had lived in the warp for awhile, and after the HH, that it started to become rampant again.

In 40k they are pretty different. Being pragmatic they have embraced their lot in life a bit and have given in to their extreme lust for knowledge, at least the ones that are still flesh and blood. This is of course a 30k thread though :wink:

Edited by ronin_cse

@Tribun, What about Pre-Heresy Lunar Wolves/Loyalist Lunar Wolves as you like Loken but don't like the path Horus is taking the legion down?

So with rules from book one an the white color scheme? Interesting idea. Are there fluffwise loyal lunar wolves? I only know the knights errant.

But perhaps loyal LW (with terran origins) would fight for old Mal' with silver grey armor like Garros guys, but without the extra bling bling of the knights....

So, give me something along the lines of:

Sledgehammer, robots, attrition and bad attitude!

GO! (please :smile.: )

Ummmm Iron Warriors? Dark Mechanicum too

Hmmm, interesting, maybe a combo of them both. 

I'll give it some thought, thank you.

Lol honestly I almost thought your post was kind of kidding since Ironwarriors just seems like such an obvious choice :wink:. Ummm actually Iron Hands would be a good pick as well, although I dunno if they count as having a bad attitude.

Iron Hands don't get these beautiful models though:

99590102250_IronCircleDomitarFerrumAutom

Nor do they get a Primarch with his head still attached ;)

Edited by ronin_cse

Iron Hands have more bad ass attitude after their primarch gets killed. Autek Mor is a good example of that.

Iron Warriors and Iron Hands are different sides of a same coin.

It is funny though that when Perturabo wields Ferrus' weapon it becomes unwieldy meaning Perturabo doesn't have as much muscle as Ferrus had :)

When it comes to painting IH is easier to paint up to tabletop standard but IW is way easier to expand with some other techniques which reach further than tabletop.

Layering for example is a painful operation for black armies in my experience.

I currently use bit of other colors than just black in my IH armour. Doing huge 40K army by layering different very dark grays onto black was something which prevents me for doing the same with my 30K ones.

For example I airbrush first black base coat and then give some sparkle by adding pure pearlescent paint and then give a shading from 45 degrees with blue or green pearlescent which shows only from few angles.

Then it is just brushing trims with steel and some bronze details, painting white panels to weapons and the Iron Hands legion marking and finally sponging some steel all over.

I currently just speed paint my Infantry up to tabletop level and focus on Vehicles and will expand Infantry's painting level later.

http://kuofi.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Viikkokatsaus-12-5-e1486807465251.jpg

Well in an upset that surprised even me I now am really drawn to the Space Wolves (read Prospero Burns). Considering I'm doing Word Bearers for sure would IF or SW give me more of a variety of play style?

There is a lot of good info in SW tactica thread.

Anyhow to sum it up they'll have only few variations that they can effectively play and it'll be either drop pod assault or 50 Shades of Gray Slayers that'll outflank.

It will be atleast be different from Word Bearers.

Hello !

So I'm narrowing down a legion again. 

I intend on starting small and modelling up. 

I have narrowed down parts that I like - 

1) IH Immortal Torsos and helms, Gorgon Terminators.
2) RG Mor Deythan Bolters and shoulder pads, Contemptor.
3) WS helms (love that single visor look)
4) Ashen Circle (again - those single visors)

In general I love MKIII and armoured up plate with gorgets.
I also particularly like unique snowflakes - under-represented legions. 

Playstyle wise, and because everything changes eventually, I would like to focus on some good troops to begin with.

I think NL have their terror volkite squads, Scars have their Jetbikes (less models, more attention), TS have their new veterans.
Any other good troops out there? IF Vets?

Thats all I have. Appreciate your suggestions!

I'm in the same boat. I want to make a Forge World order and kick off my new Legion for this year.

I've narrowed it down to either Iron Hands or Iron Warriors.

Both in the background and rules have access to Automata (which is essentially what appeals about both Legions).

So do I go with Loyalist or Traitors ?

Artillery or Tanks ?

Why is this so frakking hard ?

I'm in the same boat. I want to make a Forge World order and kick off my new Legion for this year.

I've narrowed it down to either Iron Hands or Iron Warriors.

Both in the background and rules have access to Automata (which is essentially what appeals about both Legions).

So do I go with Loyalist or Traitors ?

Artillery or Tanks ?

Why is this so frakking hard ?

Well it's really just down to you at this point and Loyalist or Traitor is really the main question here.

Do you play either army in 40k as well?

I've not played 40K for a long time now but never played either of those armies so that's a bonus.

As to Loyalist or Traitor I've always fallen on the side of the Emperor. That said I have no problem playing either.

At this point I think I'm going to do a small test of each army and see what I like most.

It's good just being able to vocalise what I'm thinking here. Thanks for the feedback..

Edited by Rites of War

I've not played 40K for a long time now but never played either of those armies so that's a bonus.

As to Loyalist or Traitor I've always fallen on the side of the Emperor. That said I have no problem playing either.

At this point I think I'm going to do a small test of each army and see what I like most.

It's good just being able to vocalise what I'm thinking here. Thanks for the feedback..

Check out each legion's special units as well and see which ones you like better. They both have some great looking models

Hello !

So I'm narrowing down a legion again. 

I intend on starting small and modelling up. 

I have narrowed down parts that I like - 

1) IH Immortal Torsos and helms, Gorgon Terminators.

2) RG Mor Deythan Bolters and shoulder pads, Contemptor.

3) WS helms (love that single visor look)

4) Ashen Circle (again - those single visors)

In general I love MKIII and armoured up plate with gorgets.

I also particularly like unique snowflakes - under-represented legions. 

Playstyle wise, and because everything changes eventually, I would like to focus on some good troops to begin with.

I think NL have their terror volkite squads, Scars have their Jetbikes (less models, more attention), TS have their new veterans.

Any other good troops out there? IF Vets?

Thats all I have. Appreciate your suggestions!

Also just to add on to this - 

I also would like to avoid flooding the field with 30 tacticals (hence my lean to the vets)

Like Rites of War, its good to write it out so thanks for your recommendations!