Iron Warriors conversion questions and Cataphractii>Tartaros

Doctor Perils

Hi there !

I'm planning to do an Iron Warriors Warsmith (I know that the rules aren't brilliant, but I like their concept). To make him, I bought an Iron Hands Iron Father model, and have started shaving off the glove symbols here and there.

Now, since I bought him, the 7th ed FAQ has come out, and now I want to give him Tartaros Terminator Armour (who wouldn't want a

sweeping Warsmith in TDA ?)

My first question therefore is: has anybody got any ideas on how to convert Cataphractii armour to Tartaros armour ? It doesn't have to be a perfect fit (mostly that it looks like counts as tartaros and not straight up cataphractii), but ideally something not overly complicated or expensive (I might as well just buy myself a squad of Tartaros terminators otherwise).

My ideas for the moment revolve about sculpting up the chest piece in GS (which may be a bit too complicated :( ), and giving him Tartaros style shoulder pads, as well as possibly sculpting some more angular shapes in the leg and arm armour; but I'd be very grateful to have any better tips :)

My second question revolves aroung the kinds of "greek/assyrian scale armour" that the Iron Warrior models have been seen with to date (ie Perturabo's and the Iron Circle's loin cloths): what would be the best way to sculpt them ? I was thinking about a flattish surface first to take the overall shape of the loin cloth (in plasticard or GS), then add some more GS over the top and cut the square bits in.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Change the Arms/Shoulders and fill in the overlapping plates on the Legs should primarily be it.

Just take pictures from FW of either suit and make a side-by-side comparison and look for the similarities/differences.

That's a quick response, thanks smile.png

I have to admit, I'm feeling most anxious about the chest piece

gallery_77459_11459_155121.png

Do you think it would be easy to just fill the gaps between the power cables and build some more up at front to make the kind of bulge, plus a thin layer to make the gorget ? Conversely, should I shave those power cables off and start lower down ?

The Iron Fathers Torso is modified enough that it could easily pass for either.

The Torsos on the regular Suits are probably the most similar parts between them, honestly, so should be the least of your worries. 

99590101258_CataphractiiTerminatorsTorso

vs

99590101331_LegionTartarosPatternTermina

Like I said, focus on the Arms and Legs mostly. It helps that the Iron Father has Tartaros Style Front Plates for his Leg Armor.

You could smooth out the shoulder plates and sculpt a gorget, but honestly you could just say he's rocking Tartaros. Abaddon has a funky unique suit of plate that looks like cataphract armor, why not a funky unique Tartaros for this guy?

WYSIWYG is not a rule anymore, and hopefully you'll find your 30K opponents a more pleasant sort than the typical 40K mouth-breathers. :P

Archived