Pre-Isstvan Gene-seed

Ekim_Trub

How pure was the gene-seed of the RG prior to the damage done to it after the events in Deliverance Lost?

Were they already missing the Mucranoid and Betcher's Gland? And did they suffer from the famous Melanchromic Organ mutation that causes them to gain their Primarch's look?

My thoughts are that the seed was stable.

Only after Corax's tampering did issues arise.  Furthermore,

Further deterioration has caused several of the unique Space Marine organs of the sons of Corax to cease functioning as they should, while others are not as effective as they once were. For example, the Zygote cultures required to grow the Mucranoid and Betcher's Gland do not exist, and a mutated Melanchromic Organ causes the skin of the Space Marine to grow paler after years of service.

That's from the IA article back in the day.

That was my understanding also, but the description of the Carcharodons (who are thought to be of pre-Issvan gene stock) leads me to think that the Melanchromic Organ may have always had an issue that caused them to gain Corax's appearance over time.

It's likely the geneseed was already quietly flawed, and that gene seed of similar origin will degrade in a similar manner. Just because the degradation wasn't noticed doesn't mean similar underlying problems weren't already there. Or perhaps, GW just hasn't considered their inconsistencies. Consider too, that gene seed was likely never meant to be used in the manner it currently is. The Thunder Warriors were cast off after a few hundred years. The Legions Astartes may have been intended to be "retired" once the crusade was completed.

The Charcaradons are rumored to be a remnant of the terran-born Raven Guard, who were cast out of the legion by Corax. Sort of the original blackshields.

Just re-read Ravenlord. It starts with a description of all post-Istvaan Commanders: Soukhounou (Terran Vet): Asiatic Dustbowl complexion. Agapito/Branne (Deliverance recruits): Sallow skin, from sunlight deprivation.

So no real geneseed effect on the XIX legion by that point.

The first mention of the Black eyes/hair and white skin is in the Raptor audiobook: Raptors that all have this common trait as a unifying feature, both roughs and smooths. 

Couldn't find (or remember) any indication that the Betcher's Glands or Mucranoid were defective by that point.

The Horus Heresy rule books touch on it; It was mildly unstable and very difficult to mass produce. This lead to the Terran(Pre-Corax) XIX legion being one of the smaller ones. Compare it to the UM geneseed that was designed to be mass produced.

I'll look for the passage that talks about it. I know in book 3 that early XIX gained the pale skin and  most of the go tblack hair, and some rarely black eyes. Those who did get the black eyes often later succumbed to bouts of sable-blindness, or ash blind; they would go on silent suicidal charges with the sole purpose of maximizing enemy casualties. These became the frontrunners for legion Moritats. Which the RG first used. Later when reunited with Corax, the full appearance changing effects kicked in for everyone.

Right.  And then when the Emperor found the Primarch he didn't just say "have this Legion" ... he actually said "have your Legion".  Super-summarized of course.

If this is correct, then it updates my thinking on the subject and nullifies my initial response above including the IA article contents.

• 2 years later...

Archived