shines the name of Roger Young!

march10k

I had a great day with the kasrkin today...played the imperial side in a mega-battle against necrons.  None of the imperial players could directly affect the victory condition, which was to reach a buiding and enter it (bikes were not allowed to enter), so that a reaver titan would pop out.  If that reaver made it to a landing pad on the opposite end of an 18' table intact (about a 12' walk), the imperials won...if not, the necrons won.  Of course, it was set up to force the titan to run the whole way, negating his firepower, but ok, I was just there to kill necrons.  My contribution was the air cav formation, so nothing of mine was on the table till turn two.  

On turn two...bad stuff happened.  I had my command valk drop the squad, but not the commie, and then just haul towards the target building at flank speed...how freakin' fluffy, this custom scenario had "stormtrooper mission" written all over it...so my commissar was plan B, in case this one unit of assault marines didn't make it to the building alive, the necrons didn't have much that had a prayer of bringing down the valkyrie, so he was probably going to be able to waltz into the building untouched one turn later than the jumpers would have gotten to it if they were intercepted.  Well, they were, but the host had the titan emerge early anyway.  It even got in a round of shooting before having to just run towards the landing pad (fixed game length, easy to calculate)

So on turn two, one dual-melta squad and the quad-plasma command squad jump out (D6 scatter and rerolls on scatter), blasting at an annihilation barge with melta and some wraiths with plasma.  Here comes the bad stuff...the meltas whiffed, in spite of twinlinking....eight twinlinked plasma shots put...one wound on the wraiths.  Typical necron BS, the wraiths had reanimation protocols from some formation with a spider and some scarabs...ok, and there were two of these formations in the area.  Oh, and one valkyrie put 15 wounds on a squad of warriors...11 failed saves, 11 passed reanimation protocols!  Grrr...

So the melta squad gets shot to pieces by some necron warriors, actually two models survive, only to run off the table.  The plasma squad gets charged by the scarabs, doubling out a base on overwatch, and actually lasting three melee phases against the swarm...pretty impressive, and not what the necron player needed to happen.  

On turn three, my luck got better.  The other two melta squads, now understanding how these necron formations work, jump out and gamma strike (hey, turn three...alpha, beta, gamma) the two spiders that are giving the wraiths and scarabs FNP....all four meltas do their job, and the five hellgun/hellpistol shots per squad, needing 6s to wound, do their damned jobs and finish off the beasts.  That, boys and girls, is how it's done!  No more FNP for stuff that shouldn't have it!

After that, one squad lost everyone not holding a meltagun to shooting, then turned and melta-ed a heavy destroyer squadron before charging it and eventually winning.  The other one meltaed a scarab base on overwatch and actually squished the little bastards in melee without losing a model.  The Valks flew around the rest of the game pieplating warriors to reduce the gauss that the titan (invisible'ed by friendly librarians) had to tank. 

All in all, seven of twenty kasrkin survived, I lost one HP off of a bird, and the commissar never ended up getting out.  Dropping the FNP on the wraiths allowed allies to grind them down in melee, and in the end, there were no necrons left within 18" of any surviving kasrkin.  The valks probably killed 20-25 warriors along the way...Did they make their points back?  Certainly not...but stripping the wraiths of their buffs, mopping up some straggling scarabs and heavy destroyers, and most importantly, even though the organizer preempted it, being able to back up the (waylaid) assault marines and provide an almost unstoppable means of activating the titan...they pulled their weight!

It was a good, fun game.  And...although we all agree that more than five stormtroopers in a squad is inefficent, I really missed the extra bodies and extra hellguns.  Those spiders were really unlucky to lose their final wounds to just five S3 shots against which they had reanimation protocols. With full squads, it would have been fifteen shots, and the result that I got would have been reasonable to expect...not to mention more boots for squishing scarabs!

Well...I didn't take pics, and the guy who was really into doing close-ups of my kasrkin squads right before they blew away the next target didn't post them on the group facebook page, but here are a couple that I found...one is looking over the shoulder of the reaver at the looooooong slog towards the landing pad, and the other is looking over the shoulder of one of my vakyries as it lines up a strafing run with its rocket pods.

gallery_13203_9402_5618.jpg

gallery_13203_9402_68820.jpg

What kind of blue is that? I like the colour scheme on the valk

It's mordian blue...it always looks a little more vibrant in photos taken with smartphones than it does in real life. I think the red edging spoofs the processors somehow....hopefully in a way that a "real" digital camera wouldn't fall prey to.

Archived