The lost king

We want a full spoil of it !

Russ is still kicking in the Warp. Probably told Magnus to censored.gif off and then went to do his own thing

edit

or not ... forgot those are named marines from Redmaw's company. read like Russ the way it talked about the wolftime though

So I've not long finished this and it has really disappointed me if your a chaos fan don't read this short story it's really not worth it

Yes, if you are a chaos fan let's not read a story focusing on the Space Wolves (not chaos), where daemons have successfully invaded every planet in the Fenrisian system and engineered a task force of 14 Space Marine chapters, a demi-legion, Imperial Knights and the Guard that has invaded the system ready to purge life.

Chaos has done nothing here.

didn't we just have an 8 book series where the great wolf was missing presumed dead?

Yea, this new one is for setting up part two of Curse of the Wulfen

The only part of the story I actually enjoyed was the parts on the rock the rest of it just felt like the writer didn't give a damn about chaos and was fan girling over the space wolves

Fan girling over the Wolves...like stating how the Great Wolf is believed dead, the advance of the Iron Wolves completely failed and being forced off planet, Canis following the stench of Chaos by following the torn apart Grey Hunter corpses (those are Space Wolves incase you forgot)

yea, totall fan girling. blink.png

It's a free download and fairly quick to read, so I'd recommend everybody give it a look

WLK

The only part of the story I actually enjoyed was the parts on the rock the rest of it just felt like the writer didn't give a damn about chaos and was fan girling over the space wolves

And that is exactly the  problem with previous and this subscriptions

And that is exactly the problem with previous and this subscriptions
Exactly heck look at the damn iron warriors omnibus it's supposed to be about the iron warriors and yet it was never one sided and funnily enough the imperials had to win again. IMO ADB and Graham mcneil are the only ones who can write chaos lore without making chaos look like a bunch of losers

Wolf Lord Kieran nor to turn this into a chaos rant but we all know very well part 2 will happen the changeling will be revealed to be behind it all and the imperial forces will unite to crush chaos and skip off into the sunset together.

Well you've already whined about the representation of Wolves in a Wolf centered story, so let's by all means turn this into another rant about chaos in a situation where they aren't the focus.

Why should this thread be immune to the ever present negativity of Chaos fraters?

Of course the Changling is going to be revealed as the culprit behind the current debacle. That's not because it sucks, as it has impersonated high ranking members of the Dark Angels with ease, infiltrated the Fang itself, and has two first founding chapters on the edge of war, managing to drag in how many other Chapters and Imperial forces...but because the other route to the extermination of one or both first founding chapters.

I'm sorry you are not happy with Chaos effortlessly curb stomping Cadia, putting the Emperor on the Golden Toilet, being such a threat that while an Ork Moon orbits Terra the Inquisition considers its a secondary threat...

I cannot fix your unhappiness with your chosen army, but I can object when your negativity distorts your perception so strongly

The problem is not focus of this short and previous SW books.

Problem is - that almost every author, with the solitary exception of Chris Wraight, has created an unkillable image of SW.

Same with codexes (these ones even worse - last codex has hundreds of SW dying in 2/3 of the battles - if that's the case why they still exist?). Even A D-B - one of the greatest triumvirate of BL authors made SW too overpowered (both in GK novel and in Ragnar novella)

Exactly it's not about the wolves as such bit more the fact the majority of te time they are Mary sues ie that wolf lord who easily kills lesser daemons er what? I could understand had it been a grey knight who's entire purpose is to kick daemon butt and take names but the space wolves? No just no. You cannot deny the wolves have been made into Mary sues

I wish I read what you are reading

The last few years of release have focused on the Wolves having some severe flaws, taking massive losses, acting dishonorably at times. The last few years of releases has worked to undo the previous "party hard" image of the Wolves

I wish I could see what you are seeing, but you cant say something like the writers are creating unkillable Wolves then follow that sentence with an example from the freaking codex where they take huge losses

@wolflordkieran let's see

Crimson slaughter for example got declared renegades for killing a population due to believing them to be chaos worshippers

Yet the space wolves not only kill a bunch of grey knights including a grand master if I remember correctly but also let the survivors of the first Armagedon war escape and get no repercussions at all.

Thousand sons get told off for using sorcery

Yet no one says anything about the space wolves turning into wulfen

Fire hawks if I'm correct were destroyed by the Grey Knights due to them into fire things

Yet no one declares the space wolfs traitors for turning into mindless beasts.

See my point? Both black library and gw have turned the wolves into Mary blowing sues I only hope they get declared traitors and forced into the eye

i don't see your point, because you don't have a valid one.

What applies to a chapter and applies to a First Founding Chapter are two different things. Much like the real world, rank has its privledges. Going after a 10,000 year old Chapter with history, prestige and political power on their side is not the same as going after a chapter of later founding.

More importantly, the Wolves didn't get away with killing a single Grand Master scottfree. If you read the Wraight wolf stories, you'd see that the Inquisition, or atleast agents of it as they aren't a unified faction, have actively started hunting down and killing the Wolves. They have their goals and are pursuing them.

The Thousand sons had 3 chances to stop their sorcerous ways, and despite making oaths to do so, continued their work.

They weren't censured for using their gifts, but for continued disobedience that blew up half the wards of the Imperial Palace and wrecked the Emperors gateway project.

The Wulfen issue...if the Emperor didn't want that to happen he wouldn't have created it. More importantly, until the latest Warzone book, the Wulfen were thought to be little more than myth and legend. The Wolves don't share their secrets with outsiders and those touched by the Wulfen are usually slain by their brethren (as in Thunder of Fenris audio/novella)

Again, the Fire Hawks were one of the cursed 21st Founding Chapters, not a First Founder.

So again, you have talking points, but poorly developed ones and half arguments. I'm sorry you don't like the Wolves, but take your negativity elsewhere.

This thread is getting ridiculous... Complaining that the Wolves here are presented as the "good guys" while the antagonists are just that, enemies, is silly as all hell.

Nevermind that this is the first of 8(?) parts in a serialized novel. You'll probably get your Chaos PoVs soon enough, but this is the introduction sequence that picks up from Curse of the Wulfen.

And no, the Wolves were brought to heel after the 1st Armageddon War. They were hounded across the galaxy and brought to the brim of extinction that was barely stopped on the doorstep, more due to politics and their value as a loyalist force than anything else.

I usually agree with a lot that you have to say WLK but this irked me somewhat. Italics to emphasise my point and the original text above it to add context.

The Thousand sons had 3 chances to stop their sorcerous ways, and despite making oaths to do so, continued their work.

They weren't censured for using their gifts, but for continued disobedience that blew up half the wards of the Imperial Palace and wrecked the Emperors gateway project.

The Wulfen issue...if the Emperor didn't want that to happen he wouldn't have created it.

The Emperor created a lot of things, and not all of them were intended or beneficial including the aforementioned propensity towards sorcery. So 'if the Emperor didn't want it he wouldn't have created it' argument is a bit of a logical phallacy.

I'm certain the Emperor didn't 'want' the Word Bearers to stop at every lamp post and build a cathedral, yet he 'created' a Primarch that was disposed towards 'worship'. I have a feeling he didn't approve of a Primarch that promoted vigilante justice or the 'end justifying the means' yet we have Curze and his sons.

Gene seed flaws were on oversight, not a design. This being said, I do like the Wolves, so we have no quarrel ;)

Saa........

........or something like that.

No problem, and I admit that was a lazy part of my post (typing on my cell at work isnt the best way to do a good reply), but I do generally believe the Canis Helix and it's reaction to the Warp to be an built in feature.

there is ALOT of debate on the Emperor and his creation process of the Primarchs, what went in and came out, and I do believe that certain "features" were built in to them. 

the Canis Helix...unusual reaction to extreme stress and the Warp would create a good weapon against the denizens of the Warp, especially when combined with the native beliefs of the Fenrisians. I think this is part of why the Canis Helix is unable to be duplicated in somebody not of Fenrisian heritage, a sort of built in handicap to prevent abuse of it.

but thats a whole other discussion.

WLK

I always got the impression that the Emperor's hands were forced when it came to the edict of Nikaea, and that he himself wasn't so happy with it. Magnus' psychic might was going to play a role in his future plans, the throne and what not. It was more of an issue how he used them, how arrogant he was and that many other Primarchs were alienated and downright hateful of psykers.

Magnus just completely failed at humility and playing it cool and had to be brought to heel. And then Horus happened and the Wolves went on a killing spree instead. It could have been salvaged if not for that conflict and Horus' meddling, I believe.

Everybody had a role, but some of them took theirs too far and messed it all up.

No problem, and I admit that was a lazy part of my post (typing on my cell at work isnt the best way to do a good reply), but I do generally believe the Canis Helix and it's reaction to the Warp to be an built in feature.

there is ALOT of debate on the Emperor and his creation process of the Primarchs, what went in and came out, and I do believe that certain "features" were built in to them.

the Canis Helix...unusual reaction to extreme stress and the Warp would create a good weapon against the denizens of the Warp, especially when combined with the native beliefs of the Fenrisians. I think this is part of why the Canis Helix is unable to be duplicated in somebody not of Fenrisian heritage, a sort of built in handicap to prevent abuse of it.

but thats a whole other discussion.

WLK

You raise an interesting point but there's a couple of issues with that theory that leap out immediately to me.

Whilst I agree that Fenrisians are 'somewhat' unique in their outlook and culture, if you're going to tie a warp combating gene to one of your new pet project 'The Primarchs!' (I ref the Emperor himself not the upcoming series), why limit it to only one 'home world'? Tying it to 20 home worlds and only those worlds would still limit abuse. But garner 20 times the reward.

Which then raises my second issue, as this theory assumes the Emperor knew where Primarch infants would be landing and raised and would have factored in Fenrisian genetics into his plans. Which in turn opens a whole other can of worms.

Which is why I would still state that the flaws were abberation not design.

It's off topic though hugely interesting. Maybe we should take it to PM :)

Saa.............

........or something like that

Edit - Clarity

Archived