The Beginning of my first IG force.

Defibrillator

Hey everyone, 

This is my first squad of Guardsman and my first Chimera I have every painted and modeled.  I'm planning on building up a large Imperial Guard force to play with.  This is my introduction into the 40k tabletop, and I'm excited for more.  Thanks for viewing, and I appreciate any/all criticism as I'm just starting out.  

Bayonet Trooper

Bayonet Trooper

Voxman

Voxman

Shooter McGavin

Basic Trooper

Basic Trooper

Flamer Guardsman

Flamer Guardsman

Sarge of my first squad

Sarge of my first squad

Edit: And my Chimera

Chimera Side

My Chimera

Nice work on the paint

Is this your first foray into miniatures in general?

Plenty of good advice lurking around this forum already but if you have question ask!

If you haven't already once you've got codex it'll be worth getting the cadia formation ebook for the formations we have which aren't in our codex. Or their respective campaign books if you want the fluff and missions

Wyvrens are a must and mobility is key in the current edition

Good luck

Thank you both very much.  

And yes, this is my first real dive into miniatures.  I do have the rule book and AM codex.  

I was looking into building my list to the Emperors Wrath Artillery Company.  But I've been keeping my eye on lists to see what I like.  Though, I'm still trying to get a handle on list building.  So I'm hoping my local gaming store will help me out there.

For a first attempt that's a pretty good paint job wish my first minis turned out like that

The emperors wrath formation is a good one

But for a starting point I would suggest getting a cadian defence force box if you can still find one around (really good value boxset) plus a commissar

That will give you a good starting point combined with what you already have then you can start on artillery

The artillery without boots wont see you get past turn two or three they support each other

.  Though, I'm still trying to get a handle on list building.  So I'm hoping my local gaming store will help me out there.

if you are in need of help list building there is a fantastic free app called battlescribe. That is what i use to build my lists!

Welcome to the barracks soldier! Looks like a nice classic Cadian scheme to me, definitely a good bunch of first models :D Have you made use of the washes yet? They're very good and can add a lot for little effort :) As for adding new models, the box sets are great - even more so if you buy online to save even more money ;)

As for building lists, Battlescribe is very useful in letting you quickly and efficiently experiment and tweak. For the contents of these lists look no further than the B&C for all the help you need :tu:

Welcome! Those models look great. As has been said, try to get the boxed sets whenever possible and at a discount if possible.

Echoing some of the others, do you have a direction you want to go? I see you have a chimera, are you planning a mech force, or are you planning to go more combined arms?

Sorry everyone I just got back from vacation.

Thank you all again for the kind words. I was planning on building my army to be more combined arms. I like the idea of bringing the full might of the guard to bear with infantry, tanks, and artillery.

Welcome to the barracks soldier! Looks like a nice classic Cadian scheme to me, definitely a good bunch of first models biggrin.png Have you made use of the washes yet? They're very good and can add a lot for little effort smile.png As for adding new models, the box sets are great - even more so if you buy online to save even more money msn-wink.gif

As for building lists, Battlescribe is very useful in letting you quickly and efficiently experiment and tweak. For the contents of these lists look no further than the B&C for all the help you need thumbsup.gif

I actually kind of acquired this scheme from the Dawn of War games on the PC. I was just messing around the painter in game and by accident I gave all my Guardsmen red lasguns, and I liked it so much I just used them as my default army. Also yes, I did use Agrax Earthshade as my wash for my models. Though I think my phone camera and lighting don't do the shading much justice.

Awesome start! You're a much better painter now than I was when I started out. I'm actually on a break right now from trying to finish up my second platoon of IG.

I would highly recommend choosing a single style to start with, then branching out into the various ways that IG can be played. I'm going with mechanized platoons, but you can run infantry heavy, mech-vets (AKA MeltaVets), tank-heavy, and air assault (if you can get enough Valkyries). Starting with one goal in mind is going to help a lot, it sure has kept me going.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG 1789

This is my kit-bashed Commisar in the works.  I used parts from the Dark Vengeance set and some a Cadian Commander head.

This my heavy weapons teams I've been working on for a while.  2 Autocannons and 1 Lascannon.  

IMG 1787

IMG 1786

IMG 1785

IMG 1784

IMG 1779

IMG 1780

IMG 1781

IMG 1782

IMG 1783

IMG 1778

I've also been winning some stuff on Ebay.  Eventually I'll get around to painting them all to my color scheme.  I'm just building a force up so I can go play some and get more comfortable with the rules

Archived