Helping a friend

Emprah2508

My good friend is going to have his first game of 40k with me soon. As I myself am still learning the little tips and tricks of the game I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to go about this.

As a note we are both playing AM with maybe a hint of BA.

K.I.S.S....

;)

If you're just getting into it I'd suggest just playing 500-750pt games and just doing 5 or 6 fixed turns so you can learn the mechanics

Probably just 1 or two vehicles at that pt level too

Then you can progress to either more pts or the eternal war missions (or both)

If you have a friendly GW or FLGS nearby ask if you can play on their table and that way there will be others you can ask for assistance

Here's a handy quick reference guide to speed things up a bit but it wont replace the rule book

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

Indeed, don't worry about getting all the rules right just the most important ones so don't be afraid to skip or simplify some things. As duz said simpler units goes a long way too, so just concentrate on duking it out and learning the rules and you can start inserting missions and such later. Good luck, and when in doubt just remember the idea is to have fun so if you're enjoying it you can't be going too far wrong! :tu:

Thanks. I know most if not all the mechanics I am just less experienced than most on here. He has a scattering of models which includes a command squad a vet squad and a chimera. I was thinking I should use a small platoon and a vet squad and let him borrow some of my models such as some marines and extra guardsmen.

Also what is K.I.S.S?

"Keep It Simple, Soldier" msn-wink.gif So a few troopers of various stripes and a vehicle or two sounds like a good start. The aim is to learn the game here so a couple of unit types to familiarise yourself with infantry and vehicle rules will be a solid foundation to build upon.

Also don't feel obliged to use a CAD at that level allied detachment is much more flexible at those pt levels you can just port over the benefits from the CAD though

Ie ideal mission commander and selecting warlord

Archived