GW RG Painting White & Pads

Arbiter7

Greetings !

Recent convert to the Ravenspire here! 

Has anyone got any ideas on the painting scheme for the white used in GW RG models ? It has that blueish hue and I'm wondering whether they've explained how they do it at some point or another. 

I've come against an article saying its a celestra gray base followed by white washed by thunderhawk blue and then white again, but I kinda think it is a lighter blue than thunderhawk blue. 

Any ideas?

Also, what about the shoulder pad rim colours? Do these depend on the company ? There's a pic in the kayuon book with colours for various companies, does this hold? The lexicanum mentions green for tacticals, red for assault and yellow for devs, but I don't like green at all! 

What's your take on this ?

Cheers

I myself use Ulthuan Grey for the arms of my veterans. Welcome to the Ravenspire brother! My army is 4th Co, so watch what you say about green. I find Warpstone Glow on the trim of a pauldron pops nicely against the black power armor.

it's ulthuan grey, washed with drakenhof nightshade, then built up with white scar.

Thats what I thought, but is it more than a guess? Have you read this somewhere?

What about the shoulder pads guys? What is the "rule" ?

Yeah, we don't do nearly as many "look at my paintjob" threads as they do over on the Black Templar board. I myself am a lazy painter, but as my collection grew, and I played more, against very well painted armies, such things have started to matter to me. Still, my main priorities are having fun, and getting :cuss done on the tabletop.

Rumor has it that @Nusquam has quite the collection to display, and I am itching to see what @SyNidus has painted up.

Yeah, we don't do nearly as many "look at my paintjob" threads as they do over on the Black Templar board.

I will have to fix that, then... All in due time though. My camera won't be in until the 10th of April. Hopefully I will have painted some stuff by then to showcase. 

Where did you move from and to?

Also, maybe you can be our version of @Firepower, but less zealous, and more Shadowy.

From Greece to the UK. 

Here's some of my recent work 

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/20130818_0881.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/IMG_0234.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/Black%20Templars/IMG_0210-1.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/Black%20Templars/IMG_0204.jpg

Expect nice shadowy things to come!

Good for you! I wanted to go visit Greece, but the current socio-economic climate has deterred me. If you ever want to visit the USA let me know.

I like the Space Wolves and the Black Templars. I wish I had the steady hands to do work like that. I do like both factions, but Raven Guard fits my philosophy on warfare much better. Stealth, Covert Ops, and Asymetrical Warfare are my bread & butter.

The rule is that the pauldron trim is generally in the color of your company heraldry.

1st Co - White, Veteran Company (RG paint the whole arms white though)

2nd Co - Gold/Yellow, Battle Company

3rd Co - Red, Battle Company

4th Co - Green, Battle Company

5th Co - Black, Battle Company

6th Co - Orange, Reserve Company, Tacticals/Dreads

7th Co - Purple, Reserve Company, Tacticals/Dreads

8th Co - Grey, Reserve Company, Assault Marines

9th Co - Blue, Reserve Company, Devastators

10th Co - No color, Scout Company

Now, you can show the company color in a couple ways, by coloring the squad icon, or by trimming the pauldrons in the company color. I'm doing a combination of companies, to make my force feel like it's part of a larger 3rd company battlegroup, as if Shrike Mobilized his whole company, and drew some extra squads for additional support. I'm doing the 3rd Company, which is Kayvaan Shrike's Company (presumably it still is even though he's now our de facto chapter master). I'll be doing one squad of tacticals in 3rd co colors, another in 6th co colors, and the third in 7th co colors, while my current assault marines will be done in 3rd co colors, future assault squads will be in 8th co colors, and I plan on representing my vanguard vets as Shrike's bodyguard, by trimming their white pauldrons in red. I also plan on trimming dev cents in blue, while having a dev squad trimmed in red. Essentially I plan on representing more than just the 3rd company, while keeping most of the core 3rd company.

You can do things this way too if that's your desire, picking a core company but adding elements from other companies to it. I was having trouble with the idea that painting so much white and black and red would get monotonous, so I decided to add some other colors in and that's where my idea came from.

Also, you don't necessarily need to do pure RG, you can actually just do a successor chapter if you desire. The codex allows you to do that sort of thing, and you can deviate however much you feel is necessary. For instance the Raptors don't generally go into battle wearing their heraldic colors, they camo it up and take the field.

I'm with Jacques on RG though, their style is more my style, and very complimentary to guard.

My thanks brother Ulrik. I trimmed the pauldrons on my Bladewing Assault Marines in Mechanicum Standard Grey, because, as Ulrik wisely put it, Battle Companies often pull from the Reserve Companies. It's also a great way to differentiate between the Bladewing units from the Pinion's Assault Squad. Now I just have to figure out markings to differentiate my Land Speeders.

Jacques Corbin, I have been thinking the same.  For my part, I preferred a previous version of Company structure that put Bike/Speeders solely from the Reserve companies.  After that, the vehicle would have to come from a Squad that would likely not see action as a full unit.  This "easily" explains how LS units only have three vehicles (what about the other four Marines from the squad?).

Doing this would differentiate the Bikes/LS from the Battle Co marines: Bikes Squads could have the same squad number as Tactical Squads from the Battle Co and LS squadrons would have vehicle numbers.

Thoughts?

Great stuff, great stuff!

My palette is kinda limited to 3rd, 4th, 5th from the main battle companies and none of the reserves (apart from scouts).

I have a thing for red, though. Red and black go very well together. I will be allowed to use another captain now that Shrike is chapter master... That mini is ancient and lumpy. Would rather convert my own. Lord executioner is awesome but those hands pointing down kinda limit conversion opportunities. We'll see.

I'll be grabbing a telion to convert so that the Nihilus gets some proper treatment. (I'll just stick a sniper barell at the end of telions' boltgun and trim away any U's).

it's ulthuan grey, washed with drakenhof nightshade, then built up with white scar.

Thats what I thought, but is it more than a guess? Have you read this somewhere?

Not a guess, he's right. Take a look at the back of the Veteran Vanguard box, i'm *sure* it has this recipe on it.

The rule is that the pauldron trim is generally in the color of your company heraldry.

1st Co - White, Veteran Company (RG paint the whole arms white though)

2nd Co - Gold/Yellow, Battle Company

3rd Co - Red, Battle Company

4th Co - Green, Battle Company

5th Co - Black, Battle Company

6th Co - Orange, Reserve Company, Tacticals/Dreads

7th Co - Purple, Reserve Company, Tacticals/Dreads

8th Co - Grey, Reserve Company, Assault Marines

9th Co - Blue, Reserve Company, Devastators

10th Co - No color, Scout Company

ohmy.png

Heresy!

Any true Raven Guard collector/painter/player knows that there is only one way to paint shoulder pad trims!

http://i.imgur.com/uI6IupW.jpg

Oh, and concerning this:

Make sure you water down the Drakenhof Nightshade sufficently otherwise it'll be far too dark and it'll be a pain in the backside to correct. :)

Truthfully, you can do whatever you like, in terms of paint. I'm doing it for easy recognition of squads, so I know what models go to what squad, and which squads are my reserve squads, and which are my line squads. If I'm fielding only one squad of bikes and one squad of tacs as my troops, then I'll be all 3rd company, but If I'm bringing more troops I'll be calling on my reserve squads. If I'm bringing more than just one squad of devs, or 2 squads of jump/bike marines, they'll come from the reserve companies. It's just a neat idea I had, as I don't want to have an expansive RG army (I have way too many space wolves) but I want it to feel that way.

I use celestra>ulth>medium/night shade 50/50>clean with ulth>highlight wihitescar.

Up until I converted my RG to raptors I did the colors based on squad type as well ha

I just tested a version of SCC's white doing this:

P3 White Primer spray

VGC Pale Grey Wash

VGC Skull White around the recesses

That's it.  Very white, very simple.

Archived