The Seventh Serpent goes Mainstream

Prot

Guys, this has been released this past weekend and I was hoping to get your feedback on it.

I want to pick it up because it is probably Graham's last significant impact on the storyline now that he's gone from Black Library.

What do you guys think? Do we get some real dirt on the Alpha Legion? Did you enjoy the story?

I highly recommend the book. If you liked reading about the adventures of Cadmus Tyro/Wayland/Sharrowkyn from Angel Exterminatus you will enjoy this book. I am not a big Shattered legion fan but I thought this book was definitely better than most. It definitely had good AL stuff and I was surprised at the end. Without giving away spoilers:

-It definitely helps to read one of the short stories called Kryptos. I believe it is in Legacies of Betrayal which helps give background on an important device in the book

-Wayland and sharrowkyn duo: I personally enjoy the antics of the salty Wayland and ass-kicker Sharrowkyn. I know alot of people hate his mary sue like abilities but I personally like him. In general (my opinion of course) the traitor characters seem to be more badass. Anyways if you are not a fan of this duo the book may not be for you although they are not featured as heavily

-AL: I'll be honest, I know their whole thing with being sneaky and censored.gif, sometimes I feel like authors try too hard to make them so evasive I actually have a hard time following what is going on. Luckily in this book this is not as much as the case but the scene with Tarso and his discovery was confusing for me.

Overall Highly recommend the book, you could probably read it in one day and the end has a nice nod to Crimson King (at least I think it does).

For me, Seventh Serpent was okay, but not great. The Alpha Legion twists and turns are confusing first time around, but can give it some good re-read value, but aside from these I found the writing pretty predictable, and Sharrowkyn is well into creator's pet/Mary Sue territory now. I didn't mind him in Angel Exterminatus, but here I cringed more than once at his antics.

If you're a big fan of the Sisypheum lot this might be worth a go, otherwise I'd say pass until it comes out in a collection within the main series. A bit more of the Alpha Legion's progressing story within the Heresy is shown, but nothing truly shattering or in great detail.

Graham's still writing for Black Library, just very infrequently. He is still working on The Crimson King and even a sequel to it.

Ah okay. Good to know.

For me, Seventh Serpent was okay, but not great. The Alpha Legion twists and turns are confusing first time around, but can give it some good re-read value, but aside from these I found the writing pretty predictable, and Sharrowkyn is well into creator's pet/Mary Sue territory now. I didn't mind him in Angel Exterminatus, but here I cringed more than once at his antics.

If you're a big fan of the Sisypheum lot this might be worth a go, otherwise I'd say pass until it comes out in a collection within the main series. A bit more of the Alpha Legion's progressing story within the Heresy is shown, but nothing truly shattering or in great detail.

Too bad we don't get any real depth in the Legion from this one, but as Izlude mentions it does include some characters I really enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Izlude, I to feel I'm one of the few who doesn't mind Sharrowkyn ands his antics. Quality of the writing aside, I don't see much difference between him and some of the more "overpowered" traitors.

Izlude, I to feel I'm one of the few who doesn't mind Sharrowkyn ands his antics. Quality of the writing aside, I don't see much difference between him and some of the more "overpowered" traitors.

I didn't have a big issue with him in TSS either. He was trained by the Shadowmasters, so he's basically what you'd expect Mor Deythan to be. I don't see people complaining nonstop about them, and they even have ForgeWorld miniatures, a short story and appearances elsewhere.

It makes perfect sense for Sharrowkyn to be wary of the potential traitors. He's not an Iron Hand, and naturally suspicious. Unlike the others, he doesn't feel an emotional attachment to finding a long lost brother, he can assess the situation without the same baggage. And it isn't like the Salamander wasn't worried as well, or that some of the Hands didn't have reservations of their own but pushed them aside over their reunion and wishful thinking.

Archived