Never forget Vraks

Uprising

After much soul searching and debating, I have decided to start one of my three dream army: A death korp of Krieg regiment.  I fell in love with them when I bought the vraks trilogy last Christmas.  I know this is going to be a long and costly process, but well we are not getting any younger.  I come to you, veteran of the guard, to help me figure out what to get next.  In truth krieg troop/artillery heavy army is so costly, so I decided to go mech and tank heavy.  Currently, I have the following( most NIB)

• 8 Chimeras(centaurs are too much in money and I love the look of Chimeras better)
  • 3 Russes
  • 5 Vendattas/Valkyries
  • 2 manticore/deathstrike
  • 2 FW Hydra

I just won the following on ebay

• 1 DKOK Commissar
  • 20 DKOK Guardsmen
  • 3 heavy mortars/thudd guns and crew

Its been a while since i played, and extremely lost on how guard play in 7th ed.  How should I expand this army, I know I need more troops(plan on using grenadiers for vets), some death riders, and etc.  I don't plan on this being super competitive(I have necrons for that), but i want to not get steamrolled.  Secondly, once the core of the DKOK army is finish, then they get some mechanius allies and some baneblades.  Should i just use the IG codex or get the newer vrak book for their new rules? Thanks for your time.  

P.S. Where can I buy the gorgon, its not listed on the FW site. 

Welcome to the Guard, this is where hobbyists prove their mettle msn-wink.gif Going Grenadier is cool and keeps your troop numbers down, and for future additions nothing wrong with getting the Guard codex (probably have a nice new one by the time you get round to it!). Generally the Kriegers play how you expect so you'll need to decide what type of army you'd like. Tank heavy, or artillery - or a mix? Looking forward to seeing your army come together thumbsup.gif

@I seek Knowledge:  They were out of stock when I look last, but seemed to be restocked.  That is great news. 

@Warriorfish:  Trying to avoid troop heavy, my pref style(i have a silvertide necron and R&H army), so tanks will be fun.  I will probably do a mix, till I figure it out.  I really want a baneblade. 

Welcome to the world of the Death Korps!

They are a very rewarding force to collect both visually and in game.

Looking at what you already have and what you intend on getting,

I would suggest the Assault Brigade list from the Fall of Orpheus

book.

It's your best bet for mechanised Krieg.

The list is built around a core of Grenadiers in Chimeras backed 

up by all the flavour units like Deathriders and Engineers etc.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you decide.

I'm currently working on a mech-platoon army, so I feel the pain of working your way through a lot of models. I would say you have a pretty good base, but could use some artillery for backup. Manticores do good work, so a couple Wyverns might help fill a gap in your artillery.

Welcome to the world of the Death Korps!

They are a very rewarding force to collect both visually and in game.

Looking at what you already have and what you intend on getting,

I would suggest the Assault Brigade list from the Fall of Orpheus

book.

It's your best bet for mechanised Krieg.

The list is built around a core of Grenadiers in Chimeras backed 

up by all the flavour units like Deathriders and Engineers etc.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you decide.

The only real problem there: Building grenadiers. 

Never Again. 

So, I spent the last few hours looking over the Fall of Orpheus, and I did enjoy a lot. The Assault Brigade list lots fun.  I am just wondering which one is better: the IG dex or the assault brigade"?  The IG dex seems more flexible, and have a larger ally pool.  The assault Brigade overall seem to be a bit over price, but its fluffy and those storm chimera are really good imho(I love autocannon).  Thoughts?

On a side note, how effective are death riders? 

So, I spent the last few hours looking over the Fall of Orpheus, and I did enjoy a lot. The Assault Brigade list lots fun.  I am just wondering which one is better: the IG dex or the assault brigade"?  The IG dex seems more flexible, and have a larger ally pool.  The assault Brigade overall seem to be a bit over price, but its fluffy and those storm chimera are really good imho(I love autocannon).  Thoughts?

On a side note, how effective are death riders? 

I used the Assault Brigade for a long time before I sold my Death Korps. 

That should give you some idea of my opinion of the rules; I sold the entire army after fighting with the list for so long. 

What it does welll: 

Anti-MEQ Mechanised infantry

What Codex: IG does better: 

Everything else. 

If running grenadiers in storm chimeras, you've got a fairly potent force at a points cost which is manageable, with good artillery/armour support. In a non-competitive setting, it's a perfectly viable army, if rather limited in scope. Most other potential forces are objectively better in the base codex however, and do not be suckered into the Forlorn Hope rule; with no transports, outflanking or other means, it's a pretty useless ability considering the bog-standard troopers cost more than Veterans outside of Apocalypse (where the use of tunnels makes it highly entertaining - if you have a Korps army, you live for Apocalypse in my opinion). 

However, the Korps pays more for less in comparison to other Guard lists, from the main codex to the other "alternates," from D-99 to Traitor Guard, and even its trademark role of "all the artillery, all the time," is completely outdone by the traitors by virtue of massively cheaper points costs. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the korps, but aside from the mechanised role, you're better off from a strictly rules perspective using the models as either traitors or Imperial Army in 30k (which can be a pretty awesome horde of footsloggers, by the way).

Archived